Luther College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Luther College

Caitlyn

The beautiful campus and scenery are just additional pros of this school! With our smaller campus size, it is very easy to get to know other students. Professors are very supportive of our academic lives as well as our personal pursuits. Often students can be seen encouraging and educating their peers on important issues.

Toben

Luther was my first choice of college. Everything I\'ve done on campus has done nothing but exceeded my expectations. My professors are very understanding (especially during the Pandemic we live in now), and they always keep tabs on us. If I could come back and do my Master\'s degree here, I would without hesitation.

Luther is a small town college with an extremely friendly environment. Everyone is friendly and neighborly. The small town of Decorah loves Luther and Luther loves its little town. There are plenty of philanthropy projects to help out the small town.

Colten

Luther College is a simple college. The college is perfect for a getaway student who wants to establish self-independency. The school is located in Decorah, Iowa and this small town is full of surprises. The winters are extremely cold but the place is full of snow making it a winter wonderland. The spring days will make each day feel a bit brighter because the campus is beautiful and everyone walking around admires the nice weather. Luther College overall is a super nice school that provides a great academic education.

Victoria

The college is in a small town so there is less option for eating, shopping, etc. The landscape is beautiful and full of hills. The people are mostly nice but tend to keep to themselves. The food is generic Sodexo. Overall the campus is safe; you can leave your dorm unlocked but there's minimal lighting around campus-- walking in the dark can be scary.

Sophia

Luther is great academically, but it is almost like high school socially.

Luther College is a great school. They have an amazing study abroad program and have great food! My favorite part of Luther College is the sense of community present. I feel very at home in Decorah. I also love the scenery and campus environment. Luther students are very active and can often be seen participating in outdoor activities.

Theresa

Luther is a fantastic gem in NEIA. If you are wanting a big city college experience, than this won't meet your expectations. If you are looking for a college where the professors know you by name and so do the janitors, where you always feel safe, where you could potentially meet your future spouse or at least a lot of great friends, and where you will go back and visit after 20 years just because you miss it, than this is the college for you!

Nathan

I love the people here, although the pricing is a little scary... nevertheless, they do their best to help you out. Classes are very engaging and do a wonderful job at relating to the outside world. The faculty are readily available, and facilities have a large window of open hours, there are so many nice places to study and you might even consider studying outdoors on the green lawn, which is quite relaxing.

Shantel

Luther College is a great place if you want to be challenged intellectually, become part of a vibrant community in Decorah, and make wonderful friends. However, it is known for it's "Luther Bubble," which refers to the fact that it is an oasis for all things college kids dream of, but is so detached from reality. If you go to Luther, be prepared for the debt. Although I treasure my time there and my major (a strong point for the college), I would not do it again. It's not worth the debt or the let down after you leave.

Abigail

Luther has great people. The professors are great and available. The students are friendly and welcoming and you know everyone in some way. You get to know people within your major really well especially with small class sizes. I love that we're sustainable and get locally made foods. The one downside I can think of is that the campus isn't very disability friendly.

Rebecca

This college gives a new take on what it means to go to a small, private school. It’s not the sort of small school where it’s always quiet and people just focus solely on what their major is. A liberal arts education is what students who go here genuinely want to achieve. You’ll never hear a student complain about taking a science class as a music major or an art class as a nursing major. People in this place seek out global citizenship, and hope to not only get an amazing education, but want to become an amazing human.

Morgan

When I decided to choose Luther as my school to further my education and volleyball career, I was both excited and nervous. I was excited to be able to say that I have an opportunity to attend such a high ranked school, but I was nervous because the school is located in a completely different area from where I grew up. I grew up next to big cities and I was always involved with friends, spending the night in the town, basically going anywhere I pleased whenever I wanted. When I had my visit to Luther, I noticed that there was not much to do since it is located in such a small town. After finishing my first year at Luther, I have come to realize that I was able to make friends that I will keep for a lifetime and memories that will last forever. Even though it is a small town area, my friends and I still managed to explore the little town of Decorah in order to have a great time. Luther College is a very safe, fun, loving, and educational environment. I wouldn't trade this opportunity for the world.

Maddie

I honestly really do love Luther College. It is my dream school. From the very first time I stepped on campus on my college visit, it has felt like home. All of my professors I have has so far have gone above and beyond for us students. The entire culture at Luther is a supportive community, you can't go anywhere without someone saying hi or holding the door open for you. This sense of community last a lifetime too, I have only competed one year at Luther so far and I have had countless random run ins with Luther Alum who always willing to share in fond memories from their time on campus.

Daniel

Luther College is an absolutely amazing place to be, but like every college, it does have its flaws. There is a very high focus on music and arts, but that takes away from the other areas of study and makes it hard for people to see more than just music and art. Being interested in music was a major factor in going to Luther, and I probably would've chosen somewhere else if I was more focused on strictly academic studies.

Julia

I believe Luther College is very supportive of students. They want to work with students to make sure they are comfortable and get the most out of their education. Professors want all students to succeed and will work hard to help students do so. They want to create relationships with students to get to know them. Overall, everyone on campus is friendly and is willing to help out. Students are challenged by academics and are able to participate in sports, music or other activities.

Madelyn

I think Luther college is a great college to attend especially if you are looking for a liberal arts college. I am in love with the liberal arts style of education. Everyone here is so intelligent and great to be around. The only thing that needs improvement is the sense of racial diversity. I come from a larger city and there are people from all over and i love it, coming to Luther and being in a small town there isn't nearly as many people of color here. I would like to see more of that here.

Mike

I have considered transferring from Luther ever since the second 7 weeks of my first semester. When I would visit my friend's at other schools, there was more to do (shopping, going out to eat, activities around campus, etc.) and I fully believe that Decorah's location and Luther's small campus feel makes the students feel isolated and separated from others. This correlates to a large amount of the students who report poor mental health and a sense of not being apart of what was presented to us students as "a terrific community." Students still sit alone at tables while they eat, the students involved in athletics sit at their "designated" table: it resembles aspects of a high school film that should have never been released. So, why do I still attend Luther? To put it frankly: I do not. After back-and-forth, I decided to transfer and it was the greatest thing I could have did for myself, mental health, socialization, and many other aspects of my life that were lacking while I attended Luther. The school is nice, pretty, and has a curriculum that encompasses challenging academics, but personally, I would have rather spent $25,000 somewhere else.

Grace

Luther works hard to make sure students are connected and thriving in the college environment, and makes a strong effort to provide the resources necessary to students who are struggling to adjust. The arts are important to Luther, especially the choral program, and hundreds of students are connected by making beautiful music and being encouraged to pursue what they love. Luther is supportive of students going into all fields of study, whether that is STEM focused or arts based, and provides all the resources students need to be successful post-graduation. Luther College is a wonderful place where students feel a sense of belonging and togetherness, created by both the academic atmosphere and the general environment created by administration.

Samuel

Luther College was a great stepping stone in my educational journey. The professors and faculty and staff take pride in their work place and make sure to provide as much help as they can to their students so that they are able to comprehend the curriculum involved with each of their classes. The discussions are vibrant and comprehensive, the material interested the students to learn more, and the professors take pride in the subjects they taught. The cafeteria is good for the students as well. There are various options for students with different health needs such as gluten-free, vegan/vegetarian, and allergen free as well. The facilities at Luther College are outstanding. From our musical side to our sports facilities, both athletes and musicians appreciate the equipment and buildings available to them for their hobbies, inter murals, and sports. Also, Luther College as a wide range of elite coaches that will pour their lives into their coaching and sports. Each athlete here is given the necessary tools to become elite but it is also up to them to use those tools properly. Luther College is a wonderful private college to attend. As a student, I feel I not only learned from an academic standpoint, but from a personal worldview as well. The education provided strengthened my knowledge as student, but also as an everyday citizen within our world. The students that come here will leave with a wide variety of knowledge that will benefit them in whatever career path they wish to strive for.

madison

I love Luther College with my whole heart, and here is why...The summer going into my junior year of high school, I attended Dorian Summer Music Camp at Luther College. During the first day of camp, while I was walking around trying to find my classes, I was really nervous because I did not know anyone. While I was walking through the campus, I could not help but notice how beautiful it was, then later I bumped into a girl named Alana. She explained that she was nervous too, and we became friends. Everyone who I met on campus was very kind to me and it helped calm my nerves. I knew being at Luther was like being a part of a loving family because of everyone's support. Later that day, Alana and I went to choir, and the first time the choir sang I got chills all over my body. It was extraordinary. I had never felt that way before in my life. Due to the magical feeling I received from the music and the kindness of the campers and staff, Luther College became my dream school. Luther is a beautiful college and I know that it is perfect for me because of its outstanding teachers, excellent music department, and high quality education programs. Luther's music program is one reason that I know it is the best school for me. I am going to be a music education major so an excellent music program is very important to me so that I can get the best education possible. Luther has an outstanding program and it would be an honor to be a part of it. In addition to being a music education major, I am planning on participating in musicals, choir, and possibly opera. Luther has a great program that I know I will be able to participate in and grow as a musician. I have talked to many people in the department, all of whom say that it is an amazing thing to be a part of. I have also been told that it is like being a part of a family who always has your back and wants you to succeed. I experienced that magical feeling when I went to Dorian and it was an amazing feeling. I dream of being a part of the music department at Luther College and feeling that magic again.

Jadyn

Luther College is a great school overall. Academics are very important to those on campus, however, there is a huge issue within student academic support office and disability service. Though those have been a huge issue in the past, the system is getting reworked from the ground up and involving the students in the process. It is clear that Luther is evolving and involving students in that process.

Katelyn

Luther College is a wonderful place to call home, based in Decorah, Iowa, you can find many clubs and activities to join. The academics and extracurriculars are out of this world involved on and off campus, and fellow Norse always say hello with a happy face in passing. Overall, Luther is a fabulous place to call home.

Emma

I thought the campus was very nice. I was there for the Dorian Festival, a choir celebration. The few days I was there, I felt very comfortable and safe. All the students were friendly, as were the professors. Overall, it seemed like an awesome college!