Oxford, OH
Miami University-Oxford

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Miami University-Oxford

Natalie

Miami University is a liberal arts school that lets students reach beyond what their major is, and discover more about the world around them.

If I went back in time, I would tell myself that you don't have to know everything; tiral and error will become your best friends. Going into college, I had a plan. I thought I would stick to the same study plans, join certain groups on campus, and have an easy four years. But, when I got to college, everything changed. My study plans didn't work for the classes I was taking, and the clubs i joined were not enjoyable. I finaly let go of my plan, and tried new things. It took me a few tests to get the hang of studying for college classes. After quitting clubs I did not like, I went outside my comfort zone, and made some of my best friends. So, I would tell myself to enjoy college and be open-minded to change. While trial and error are scary and unkown, they could lead you on the greatest adventure you will ever have.

When I brag, it has to be because of the class sizes. Smaller classes sizes lead to a better one-on-one relationship between faculty and students. Also, the small class sizes make it easier to ask questions during lectures and seek more help.

Miranda

Sometimes I feel a little trapped without living near a big city like I am used to.

I love the size of the student body and the campus is beautiful. It is also really easy to fit in with everyone being so accepting and nice. It helps the transition a lot when you are able to make friends so easily.

The first thing I would tell my highschool self would be to learn how to make friends and socialize. First semester is really lonely as it is because I chose to go to a school without anyone I already knew. It was hard for me to make friends and I stayed in my dorm alone and it became very lonely rather quickly. Next, I would tell myself to get into a regular practicing habit. As a music major, it is important to have a practice routine as to not get behind on the learning material. On the topic of habits, I would tell myself to create better study habits. I am the worst offender of procastination. Finally, I would tell myself to learn how to eat healthier and how to go shopping for your own food. I had to learn the hard way that the "freshman 15" is all too real.

Micayla

The stereotype is we are all stuck up rich kids. This is not true. Many of us are down to Earth people that have worked hard in high school to be able to attend Miami.

The academics are great and they push you to be a better student

Alyssa

Not located in Florida, Miami University is the public ivy of the Midwest.

Not located in Florida, Miami University is the public ivy of the Midwest.

Make sure you listen to where you want to go. Don't let your family steer you in a direction in which you may not want to go. And when you do decide on a school make sure that you have a network of other people from your school going there to ride share for long weekends.

Anything you hear about the stereotypical "Miami Student" is correct. There is a high amount of stuck up, rich white kids who all seem to join fraternities or sororities. If you are not interested in Greek Life, be warned that the Greek Life has a high prevalance on campus.

Rebecca

People who are interested in a rigorous academic medium-sized school with a small-town, picturesque feel should attend Miami University. While there isn't a lot of diversity in terms of the student body race, there are many opportunities to get involved in diversity work and embracing different cultures. Set on a beautiful campus, Miami University is an excellent value.

I wish I had known how easily and quickly one can get from Cincinnati to Oxford. The drive is only 45 minutes which makes a big difference when you're a student who feels the need to get out of the small confines of Oxford and engage in a bigger city environment. I also wish I had known how many opportunities there are at Miami University to engage in diversity work. That is a huge plus and was an extremely rewarding part of my education.

I would advise any high school student to explore as many different areas of study as you can before determining your major. Talk to professors, take a variety of classes, job shadow various disciplines--take advantage of the ability to explore your options! Talk to career counselors about how your skills and interests align with various careers while you have the opportunity. It will be well worth it in the long run!

The college process wasn't easy. Trying to beat one hundred people to my counselor made my senior days very stressful. I was soaked up in the stress of getting everything in on time, and getting into the colleges I wanted and I never really took the time to enjoy the people and activities of my senior year. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say that there are people there to help, stop rushing everything and take a deep breath. I pushed myself so hard academically, trying to impress colleges even more, that senior year didn't feel much different than any other. I was striving to get as much scholarship money as possible and to get into a strong University to make me marketable for Graduate school. I wish I could tell myself that it is all going to work out because it is time for me to be happy doing what I love, and that the transition will be okay due to all of the support and help that I will receive. I am excited for the college life, but money will always be a worry.

A person who is independent, diligent, able to hold their own under pressure, and wanting to strive above barriers should attend Miami. The proffesors don't extend themselves out to students often therefore, the students must approach. Miami also has a good reputation, "public ivy", therefore, one must be ready to work and loyal to their studies. It is also knonwn as a party school and I am sure peer pressure is high as well. I hope the students are aware of their goals and aren't pressured. It is also not the most diverse, but it provides growth opportunities.

The most frustrating thing about Miami is the lack of money they give out to the incoming students. It is very expensive and I had all of the requirements but I was one point below the ACT requirement and I didn't get any scholarship money. Miami is very expensive for my family and with having worked so hard during high school, it is hard to see that I am not receiving any help from them. It is very stressful for my family trying to pull ends together when I have an eleven year old sister too.

Lee

I don't think I like this question. I could talk about the makeup of the students at Miami and say people should attend this school because they share the same backgrounds but that doesn't fit with my beliefs. I think we should strive to include more diversity in all aspects of our lives so we can learn from other experiences. The importance of cultural diversity is one of my most deeply held beliefs and I welcome new experiences. I think all sorts of people should attend Miami so they can share their stories.

I wish I had known how small this campus really is. I did not have a car my first year and it was really tough to find activities in Oxford. Oxford is walkable but you really need a car to get the full experience.

Join the women's club ultimate frisbee team your freshman year! You didn't join until sophomore year and this team has been such a monumental part of your life - get that extra year in! You'll travel all over the country with the most amazing group of girls and make lifelong friends. You'll create a supportive network of open-minded, fun-loving, and hilarious characters. Also, explore all the different majors offered! You might settle on one of the well knowns like psychology or education but there are so many fascinating options out there. Go explore!

Craig

Miami is a place where you can make yourself into any person you want to be, and go as far as the world is wide.

I would say have fun. Life is too full of worrying about what tomorrow might bring. I would say be dedicated. Make a choice on what you want to see yourself doing in 20 years, and find the ground stones that must be laid to form the path to that image. learn what strengths you have, and run with them. Use your best qualties and sharpen them into powerful and efficient tools that will build the kingdom of your life. Because this life is short, and if you have to struggle for vast amounts of time working for something that is painstakingly difficult to do the easy tasks, then it will not be worth all that time that could have been spent becoming great at what your already good at. And if the things that come easy have not yet revealed themselves, try new things. Search and discover unknown fields, step into places that land you outside your comfort zone. Because without discomfort there is no change, and without discovery there is no progress. Never cease to progress, never cease to discover. And be faithful in relationships, for no success is worth achieving without someone there to share it with.

Someone who loves to go outside their comfort zone and try new things. It is amazing how many different opportunities Miami offers. If you have the want to do something it is there for you, and the people involved will take you further than you ever thought possible. You also have to want to meet new people and make new friends because everyone is friendly and fun to be around if you put in the effort to do the same. We all want to help each other and it makes for a great place for new connections.

Thomas

Well - any sort, really, Miami is a fine school with great benefits. It's lovely, has several good institutions and fills me with pride.

Have a plan! I got my B.A. in English/Creative Writing. I then spent over a decade doing primarily financial work, uncertain as to what I would do with my life. Only many years later did I decide to go back to college and work on a Master's (in Architecture). So, while I knew that 'creativity' was a key, the manner of it was wrong. I guess I just didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (and, honestly, how many 18-22 year olds do?). So know what my ultimate 'end goal' should be, then having a plan for it would have drastically changed my life. Yet I don't live with regrets, either. My time in finance was a great education and I shall, some day, also work on an MBA to compliment my M.Arch.

Tia

I would tell myself that sometimes it is okay to fail as long as you do not give up. Not getting an A on one test does not mean that you are not good enough, it just means that there is always room for improvement. I would want myself to know that as long as you do your best, and you give it your all, you will always succeed.

That most of the students who do go there come from families that are wealthy

If you are enthusastic about being a part of something much bigger than most schools, it is great.

Miami University-Oxford administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.