Newark, NJ
New Jersey Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New Jersey Institute of Technology

Fixed  rate loan

Emanuel

The students that I share my time with here at NJIT are probably the most ethnically and culturally unique group of people I have ever encountered.

Dream big, Manny. I know you've probably heard this before, but there is only one life for you to live; if there's a concert you want to go to or a party to which all of your friends are going, make sure you be there, too. Don't always take life so seriously - loosen up! Worrying about it is only going to make you less of the person that you've been looking to become this entire time. Oh, and there's a choir over at Rutgers down the block that you can join, depsite the fact that you don't go there. Sing, I say! You're afraid of the change? Don't sweat it, Manny, seriously. You're going to make a ton of great new friends, most of which will accept you for that happy, always-singing goofball that you are. You're going to fit in just fine, I promise. Plus, the food is pretty amazing, so what more can you possibly want? Becoming an engineer, singing in the choir, AND instant access to awesome food? What is there to be afraid of? Don't worry, Manny; you'll be fine. Sincerely, Yourself

The worst thing about my school is the fact that almost nobody stays on campus for the weekends, since it is such a large commuter school. This almost forces one to either go home oneself, or to have a boring time studying straight through the weekend for a quiz one very likely has on Monday of the next week.

Sophia

Remember that everyone you meet is also transitioning from high school to college. Do not be afraid to meet new people and make new friends. Over your four years at college you will meet many people who will shape your life as you grow as a person. Get to know your professors for they are both inspirational and knowledgeable and can help you build your future down an amazing path. Always do your best in your classes because some of your best research and projects will evolve from these classes and can be used as works to impress people in the future. Never forget to leave time for yourself to pursue your own interests and always remember to enjoy your moment in college.

I wish there was someone there to encourage me to explore more of the downtown area of Newark because there are many places to visit off campus if you knew where to go. I would also encourage new students to get involved in various campus activities, clubs and organizations because you can meet many new and interesting people there. Also get to know many different people and do not stick around with only one group of friends based on your major, there are a variety of interesting people to meet with at NJIT.

The intensity of the Architecture work load and design problems that we need to solve. I also brag about the variety of new digital design courses and communication courses which are truly on the cutting edge of communication and design. The architecture electives that I have taken so far have also changed my view on design and has broadened the way I can solve problems and communicate ideas.

Kelli

My school is a very diverse school with acceptable size classrooms

My school is a very diverse school with acceptable size classrooms

Fortunately, I have never fallen into the typical college temptations of drinking and partying. So, the only advice I would give myself is to continue working hard and set time out to relax and enjoy the extracurricular activities provided on campus throughout the year. From the very moment you step onto the college campus, make sure you learn how to manage your time effectively and efficiently, so as not to get overwelmed with the course load.

The worst thing about my school is the financial assistance given to students and also the availability of certain mandatory courses.

Shannon

This school is what you make of it, if you come here wanting to have a good time you will have a good time.

I would do virtually everything the same. I was very focused and motivated in highschool, and I carried that over to college. However, I would go back and give myself a heads up as to how much more time classes require in college as compared to highschool. I thought I studied a lot in highschool, but college is a completely different world that is much more demanding. I would go back and give myself a pep talk, and would try to have better time management skills.

The community and closeness formed between students in the School of Architecture is my favorite part. We support each other and have become more of a family then friends. We're together all the time for all the same classes and have all gotten extremely close.

Takumi

New Jersey Institute of Technology is what would be considered a typical technical university with a skewed male to female ratio and relatively less to offer in terms of social life, but with excellent research and career prospects.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would most likely tell myself to completely rethink and reevaluate my life choices and almost "start from scratch," investing more time into my future rather than current affairs. Though I do not think that I have made any drastic mistakes by any means, I believe that I could have done much better to more carefully and thoroughly map out my future.

The campus itself and the general mood of the student body seems very unfriendly and at times depressed, which makes for quite a poor overall atmosphere.

Kristina

for the most part my classmates are friendly and will help explain things if asked to

Sitting in my first college class, really? What was I thinking ? Why did I think I could do this.

Someone that is not comfortable in an evironment with a lot of male students

Pantelis

Most of the students were working and going to school at the same time so they were mostly mature about what they were doing and how seriously they would take their studies. At the same time you would find a lot of competion among the classmates which was a very beneficial thing.

Again, the uniqueness was the fact that students were not just databases of knowledge but also the knew how to go out there in the real world and survive. So I can characterize students of NJIT as more marketable

There is not basically one college that is right for. You just have to make it happen that YOU are right for the college. Is not the college that makes it, but you make the college.

Allan

NJIT has its ups and downs. The safety is really good, but is you go off campus, its really unsafe. The social life is pretty bad. There are only a few places to socialize, the pub or frat parties. Greek life isnt a big thing at the school, when ever greekweek comes around, there aren't many student supporters, other than other greeks. There isnt school pride at all, even NJIT day people are that enthusiastic about. The only sport that is really supported or noticed is the volleyball team. Some NJIT students brag about how terrible our basketball team is. Even then, not many people attend these sport events. Why is the social life pretty bad? Because there are many commuters, and there arent many social places. Off campus is really unsafe, so the only place to socialize is on campus. Even the pub, one of the social places of NJIT, isnt that big, meaning its really small and not many students go there. The educational value is really good. The girl/guy ratio is really bad also, the majority of the school are men. Class sizes are really small (max 25-30) students, which means that students are to acknowledge the educational value. The food is terrible at NJIT. The only decent food is found at the grease trucks, subway, or king wok.

The student body seems pretty diverse, which is a plus side also. Everytime you pass the student center, there are diverse religous/racial groups supporting their cause and trying to give insight about their beliefs or what their culture is all about.

Positives: Safety is pretty good Educational value is really good you'll get a job right away the avg person an individual makes right away from NJIT is 65,000-75,000 Negatives: Social life sucks Campus is really small and boring The NJIT gym sucks The food is terrible if you plan to go to NJIT, i suggest you commute, don't waste your money.

I know many of my professors name, and many of them know mine. The library is one of the strongest points which helps academic life, and you get to know your classmates better since there are a small amount of students in a class. In my opinion the smaller amount of students in a class, the more educational value you get. Since social life isnt that great, most students seem to talk about their major, and about science and technology, which is a plus side also. It seems that most of the students that graduate from NJIT get a job right away, since technology plays a big part of our society and keeps advancing. It seems that all majors aren't joke majors, meaning all majors are useful in our society, instead of majors people dont care about. NJIT networking is pretty good also

The most popular groups and teams on campus are greek life and the volleyball team. Even though these are the big things for social life, there arent many supporters. Again, social life is really bad. Most social life takes place in the pub or frat parties, other than that, people arent really that social, because many are commuters. The nightlife isnt big at all at njit, not many people are walking around excited what to do during the night. Even during NJIT day, not many people seem enthusiastic about it. The pub is pretty small, and not that active. Personally i am part of a frat, so my social life is pretty good.

There are a lot of Muslims, Indians, and Asians at our school

Chris

I have grown to love Newark and the area around it. The college is in the midst of changing into a larger university with new programs and division 1 athletics. Included in the change is NJIT's hand in a lot of revision of Newark's master plan. Although this can be seen as a good future, many things have been left at the way side and has been very politically driven.

The campus is very diverse; they form groups together or mingle with other crowds. In my experience the whole student body has been friendly and open to everyone, clicks have never been a problem.

Attending the university for a long time, being an architect, and seeing how the nearby other colleges operate has given me a lot of perspective on NJIT. The attitude that goes into campus planning and operations is in warded facing, they close the borders to city and 3rd party development. Rutgers across the street is outward facing in is planning, the campus just blends right into the community around it and they even help out 3rd party businesses. Another topic is that NJIT is forcing out Greek organizations, on the political front they are trying to help them out and give back, but the truth is that the only social life will soon be gone.

NJIT has a great reputation (engineering and architecture) in the area surpassing its actual education. Enrollment is up 35% and there has been no money into new facilities or new professors to handle the extra load. The university's stance is that we can handle the influx of population and reorganization of syllabi will result in no loss in education from the educators. Recently much of the income is being pushed into athletic programs and facilities, but the issue of lacking support is not new. The NJSOA (Architecture College) is well respected by the field and the accrediting board, but every accreditation review the board always mentions the insufficient library, printing, and professor amenity support.

I can't entirely blame the university, they try hard to change the social life at njit, but never the less it is almost absent. As a student is really up to them to find their group and activates. Options exist and there are many, but it is not in your face like other schools.

One of the most diverse student populations in the country, which consist of tech minded individuals

New Jersey Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.