New Jersey Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New Jersey Institute of Technology

Matthew

I absolutely love it here at NJIT. I'm a resident living in the honors college and the past month has been the greatest experience of my life. A cheap tuition with plenty of opportunities for financial aid. The education is top-quality. I have never once regretted my decision to go to NJIT.

Daniel

NJIT is a school with many entitled kids. The male to female ratio of the school is quite the difference. There is a lot of entitled people especially amongst the athletes. They are a lot of sources to do well. The school offers many sources to do well, and offers many tutoring center for students so they can succeed. NJIT is a top research university, and it's open for people in any major. I would recommend NJIT for a student who wants to receive a good education, but if you are person who wants the college experience, NJIT is not the school for you.

Justis

it is very fun the math and especially chem classes are a little tough but if you work hard you can pass with all As.

Kiera

I love NJIT. I feel like it is such a great school for such a great price. The campus is going to change a lot in the next few years. We have a new athletic center being built and a ton more. This campus is going to be fantastic a few years from now.

shazem

I find NJIT to be a very nice and friendly college. The administrative staff is always willing to help. If you want a place where the people are friendly and understanding NJIT is the place to go. I started off not having any friends and within the first week of class I already found a group that accepted me in with open arms and we all talk about almost anything on a daily basis.

Jazmine

This school is overall very good. Academics are strong, especially in mathematics and the sciences. However, the professors here are majority foreigners with heavy accents, so it is difficult to understand them most of the time. Therefore, it is important to go to tutoring and office hours and study to make sure you have at least some idea of what the professors are trying to teach.

Kedric

The New Jersey Institute of Technology is a good school. When I entered, there were good people both students and staff. It wasn't till later that I met upper level staff that the people up top are kind of heartless and are more money oriented. you can see the more money oriented outlook just by the money spent on sports attributes and not really in student organizations or academics.

Kalim

A great school --- really. Greatest professors who are caring and extremely knowledgeable. Great college experience and sense of community. Am part of the honors and CS program and can willingly say that am getting a great education w/o spending money. Between choosing here or Stevens ---- choose NJIT to save you from debt (CS program ranked higher). Great kids and academics are the best. Honors program is one of the best in the country--- academic counselors treat you very well. Undergoing recent campus renovations --- so, will be even better

Allison

Like any school, NJIT is what you make of it. Some of the professors are great, some don't seem to care. The campus is growing and getting better every day. The food is pretty awful, but there are a lot of options close to campus. The dorms are awesome, especially the new ones.

Shams

Personally, if you are going to learn and do not wanna have fun, this is a school for you. Commuter lifestyle is the worst. There is not much to do outside of the school as it is located in Newark. Sometimes there are events that are fun but not many people actually show up.

Akin

it is a very good school with a rich faculty. the social scene is not exactly great but there are activities available for most niches. I love the architecture, the general scene, and the facilities available. the school is also located close to attractions like the Newark museum, NJ performing art center, and several art galleries that display both contemporary and historical art work. It's an especially great school for STEM students like in civil engineering, biomedical engineering, and architecture.

Yasmine

Honestly, if your looking for opportunities you got em! But professors that teach you not necessarily. Be prepared to teach yourself! Also take advantage of clubs, the gym, and the fact that there's good food surrounding and good supermarkets around!

Daniel

Speaking particular about the Albert Dorman Honors College, NJIT has a motivated student body eager to get involved in research opportunities, internships, and other extracurriculars. Students are genuinely curious to learn. Most professors make themselves available during office hours, and class sizes are usually under thirty. Dining services and on-campus events are pleasant. Although located in downtown Newark, NJIT is extremely safe with 24/7 campus police on duty.

Sierra

Certain departments of the school are very well put together and provide a very good educational experience, however, more often than not, the university can fail you in an entire department of learning due to poor administration and execution. Computer science, physics, and engineering classes are lackluster at best. They combine students with years of coding experience with incoming freshman who have never touched a computer in their lives. Cheating on common exams is common and unapproached despite student complaints. Students are made to take classes that do not necessarily aid in their major or career studies. The food on campus is atrocious, food poisoning was a common occurrence and rats have been documented various times by students in the dining hall. Many students keep to themselves and not many take part in campus events. Truly it is a depressive environment with extremely difficult courses that is not recommended for most.

Jazmine

NJIT is a great school if yo are serious about your education. Do not come here expecting to have fun and slack off. Yes, it is possible to do well here and have fun (I am a good example of that). But, nothing is good in excess. This school teaches you to come out of your shell and learn how to balance relationships (romantic and platonic), school, work, family, and mental health. A lot of people are miserable here because they still haven't learned to do that. But, it gets easier. This school can be the best school you've ever went to, but only if you make the best out of it.

Paul

NJIT is my home. NJIT has a special place in my heart. I hope to graduate from this school I love so much, But although I love and cherish this school, the services that the university supplies aren't up to par with what other schools have. The school has an amazing student community. Everyone that attends has made at least one good friend that they can rememeber forever. However, once you step off campus, it's quite dangerous. NJIT is located in Newark, New Jersey, and Newark has an awfully high crime rate. But despite this, the NJIT Public Safety team is always doing what they can 24/7. The academics at NJIT are great. The depth and difficultly of the classes really brings out the dedication and passion of students. Many people compare NJIT classes to MIT level courses, except at a much cheaper price. The cheap price also comes with very lackluster professors, however. Many professors on campus are foreign and have heavy accents, so once class registration for the next semester starts, students often make sure they can snipe the last spot in the top rated professor's class. Although passing classes may be tough, working with friends and asking the professors themselves make a huge impact on how well you do. The dorming situation at NJIT has very mixed feelings, depending on who you ask. Some people have a lot of fun, but some people compare dorming at NJIT to living in a prison. I can see why people from both sides would say that. As an RA, RHA member, and former hall council member, it honestly depends on how involved you want to be at school. If students went to events that the school offered and joined clubs, their school experience would be amazing. I, for one, have experienced first hand and now that I've put myself out there, I love this school. 75% of the students that attend NJIT are commuters. So that leaves about 25% of us who stay on campus. It gets really boring and quiet on the weekends, so luckily NYC is about a 15-30 minute train ride from Newark. There's plenty of opportunities outside of the city and they're sights to see. I cannot describe the food on campus with any words other than "MEH". The company that runs the dining hall is "Gourmet Dining Services". Although the company name contains the word "Gourmet" in it, it is very much far from that. The service provides an amazing amount of food, but the food there is the epitome of quantity over quality. The quality of food is so poor at the dining hall that I'd say about 10-15 percent of it is actually edible. The rest just tastes disgusting or it's spoiled. I'm far from a picky eater as well, so it's rough in there if you're really picky with what you eat. All in all, I do love this school. Although I may have many criticisms, NJIT is my home and I do love this campus very much. I don't think I'd ever leave now that I've made such a close connection with it.

Luc-Paul

NJIT is a school with very academically focused students and lots of good resources for them. Most professors are patient and willing to give extra help outside of class. The atmosphere is not super exciting but there is a comfortable friendly community and a number of inclusive and fun events from time to time.

Iona

My overall opinion of New Jersey Institute of Technology is that it is a good school to obtain your post secondary education. It has small classroom sizes, great teachers and you will provided an excellent education. New Jersey Institute of Technology is overall a safe place considering the fact that it has twenty four security.

Alexander

Visiting New Jersey Institute of Technology was a great experience. I was able to learn more about the school and what they have to offer. I like the active relationship they have with businesses in helping to place students after graduation. Visiting New Jersey Institute of Technology reaffirmed my decision to go there.

Alexander

Drew

This school is a great research facility which is why any professor working there would actually want a job. Their teaching skills suck and they cannot explain a topic thoroughly enough for you to even pass the class. Most teachers have no idea what they are doing and use facilities provided by the school for their useless research.

Jonathan

Most of the students are depressed most of the time because the professors are great at research and not much else. Suicide is a common joke here, with a lot of people actually contemplating it. There are about 300 kids who you'll see more than once. Everyone else just goes from their dorm to class and back. Join a fraternity so you won't be tempted to end it. Other than that, it's not so bad.

Cesar

The teaching is not very good. The teachers like to test you on material they never taught in class and admit that they won't teach you what you are tested on. The average grade in most classes is around a 60% and they don't curve your grades.

I really enjoy going to New Jersey Institute of Technology, the academics are really great. All of the professors I have had have been very nice and willing to help, and are very qualified. I am in a five year accelerated program for architecture here and I love it. The professors are all practicing architects who are there during studio time to individually help us with our concepts and projects. The location in Newark is okay, I wish it was in a more safe area but there are many public safety officers constantly patrolling the campus. I really like how accessible New York City is to campus because it allows us to see museums and get internships.

Najee

My overall opinion of NJIT is that it is an amazing school that is constantly evolving and re-innovating itself in terms of the services they offer to their students. The campus is vast at first, but after a few weeks on campus, you begin to get comfortable with the layout and learn how to navigate effectively.

Proggya

My experience at NJIT has been amazing so far. The staff, faculty and students try their hardest to make you feel at home. As a first semester freshman, I already have a great outlook on the campus and my future at this institution. My classes are very educational, and informative. I have learned more from my professors than I have during my previous years in high school. Most importantly, I have established a wonderful set of friends who have similar academic interests as me.

Christina

NJIT is overall a great school especially for anyone pursuing an engineering degree. You will find a lot of like-minded people, amazing opportunities, brand new facilities like the WEC, and D1 athletics. There is always something to do on campus. Academics are rigorous but, it prepares you for a career in your desired field in my opinion.

Benjamin

It is a great Univerisity. Number one in the U.S for upward mobility. It is well located and is near New York City, only 25 minutes on the train. It is surrounded y other universites so there is a big student body. There night life is great and one can always go across the river into New York City where there is superb food and nightlife.

Catello

NJIT is a great institute. The education is decent, the extracurricular activities are good, it’s constantly being improved, and the community is warm. For the education we are getting with the price, it’s is a great school to attend. People who attend this school lack much ego and are down to Earth. We all understand that college is difficult and we must help each other along to succeed Professors are thrown around from class to class here at NJIT . For example, my differential equations professor is an adjunct who has never this topic. However, some professors are very knowledgeable in the subject they teach. Those classes end up being most enjoyable but they aren’t until the student enters their third year. The activities here at NJIT are pretty good. I used to be on the track and field team here and I must say I enjoyed it. Everyone on the team is extremely nice and always willing to help. The team was run fairly well given our circumstances and I can honestly say it was a pleasure to be a part of. Furthermore, clubs are a great thing to be apart of at this institute. With a new Makerspace that has all of the best equipment while having good funding to support projects, I feel our school is the best to attend for those who are more hands on. I love the creative atmosphere here. It really helps the student engage in personal projects as well as join clubs that show their strengths. I believe college is what you make out of it. If you choose to be miserable then you will be. I choose to make the best of what I have. Its 4 years of my life, its time to stop complaining, but to make my time here enjoyable.

Dequan

I enjoyed New Jersey Institute of Technology. Although I am not a student, I have visited the college plenty of times in the past 5 years(basically every summer). The school energy is quite interesting and intriguing, the students are diverse racially and personally, and the Division 1 sports(volleyball! my favorite) are beautiful to watch.

Ralphy

NJIT lives up to the hype academic wise, but being that 70% commute, the social life is dead Friday-Sundays and most people go home or do nothing to increase the campus mood. Newark is Dangerous. Around Campus is Dangerous. Faculty for the most is made up of what appears to be an attempt at an inner city employment program, most are rude and lazy.

My overall opinion of NJIT is that its an underrated school that has a lot to offer. Academically its very challenging but there is a great payoff because the school really works to connect their students to prospective future employers so that students can have a job lined up when they graduate.

Ella

I think my time at NJIT is spent more focusing on academics and looking into furthering my career as an aspiring architect. The classes that they make available for you to take here is something that a lot of other schools do not give access to. I think they are very important in the design stage to help expand your knowledge on what you are getting yourself into via the architecture program. Their classes outside of your major can be very helpful and insightful into learning other tools and techniques that can aid you in your major.

Christopher

New Jersey Institute of Technology is an amazing school to attend. It provides students with the challenge and rigor needed to face the real world. Freshman such as myself usually have a hard time adjusting if not well prepared coming in, but I can assure you that the students who have stayed with the school in semesters that followed after their Freshman year have become great students and graduates of NJIT that go off to acquire magnificent jobs in the field that they studied for.

Rashaad

Absolutely Love It. It is a fantastic experience. There is an incredibly friendly community on campus. Regardless of background everyone is ready to mingle with everyone else. Many professors deeply care about making sure their students are succeeding in class.

Christopher

I believe that it is a beautiful park in a not-so-great city. The campus itself is lovely, the education is top notch, and the people there are there to learn and are motivated individuals who, for the most part, care about education and the world around them. I cannot wait to attend NJIT in the fall!

Jacob

NJIT provided a great educational experience that was focused on academics. If you are going to school for the party, this is not your place. Some of the professors are getting up there in years and have a hard time really teaching the material. However, for every one of those professors there are two more that are ready and willing to help you with anything and make learning the first priority.

Steven

When visiting, the staff and students were very welcoming. Conversations were held and help was offered. I could see the school spirit in every hallway and room I entered, and received a very positive vibe when on campus. I hope to attend NJIT and genuinely enjoyed visiting!