Beaver, WV
New River Community and Technical College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New River Community and Technical College

I will be attending the New River Community and Technical College that my county and state has built on the reclaimed land of a previous strip mining site in Beaver, West Virginia. This will be my first semester at the new campus since I am transferring from Concord University in Athens, West Virginia. In the few trips that I have gone into the school it is so nicely built and kept. The grounds that it is on are still growing back since the school is no less than a year or so old and the building is beautiful. The staff that I have talked to in the Financial Aid off and Student Center have been very helpful and nice. When I was making my new schedule for my first semester at New River, the lady that helped me make my schedule was very honest and helpful as well as knowledgeable about all the questions I had about the program I want to go into. I am going to attend New River Community and Technical College for their two year program for Physical Therapy Assistant. They are still in the works of getting all of their classrooms set up in order to work more efficiently for all the programs, including the PTA program. Until they are done, the classes that are to be held in the unfinished part of the school are relocated to another building in town not very far from the school at all. Overall I am already impressed with New River Community and Technical College’s professionalism and preparedness to get their school going so quickly. It also makes me much more excited to get my new degree so that I can get my own job and pay off my own past student loans. I need scholarships now to pay the differences of tuition because my Financial Aid has been taken up so much by Concord University and while I was there I never had any passion, but with New River I know that Physical Therapy Assisting will keep me inspired and prepared to take on every challenge.

The stereotype of students at New River is that they are all ready to start their own careers and cannot afford to live on a campus like some students can. The college is located in a neutral spot so that students can get there easily and quickly from most any place in the county or out of the county too. The students in this school are known for their perseverance and hard work.

Since this is my first semester I am not sure of what the most poplar groups or activities are.

The students at my school are very diverse, the reason I know that this is true is because I know personally of people right out of high school attending New River as well as those who have been out for several years attending the school too. The student body is very diverse in race and age.

Madison

New River Community and Technical College has made my first year as a college student enjoyable. The professors are professional, but they don't treat you as a number like you would be in larger institutions. New River CTC offers opportunities and the support that you need.

New River Community and Technical College is obviously a small town college. There are no stereotypes such as jock or cheerleader. The only stereotypes that may exist is students who weren't smart enough to get into larger, well-known universities or people who are going back to college after having children or dropping out. There are actually many recent high school graduates that attend New River CTC to earn their degree or to begin a degree they can transfer on because is it economically smart.

Class participation is wanted and common, because it is a relatively small school. The education department, which is what I am majoring in, is excellent. The instructors care, want you to learn, and will help in any way possible. New River works with Glenville State College on transfer programs so the classes your receive are relatively the same as a larger college.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

It is a community college so sports are not something that take place on campus.

Being a community college there are no fraternities and sororities of course, but student government is the most known group.

New River CTC is a community college, so there are a lot of small town people from all age ranges. Because of its central location people come from all over and their is diversity in the student and teacher population.

Racheal

Approaching the end of my college career at this point, I often wish I could back in time to that final year of high school and tell myself to go to a university and pursue what I deeply desired instead of allowing fear to dictate my path. I'd further tell myself to not be afraid to venture out on my own. I've learned alot about myself since I first started college and it has been a very positive experience. Going to community college gave me a chance to dabble in different interests--literature, fine arts, business if given a second chance I would not squander my time I would explore these interests at a university. I'd also remind myself of the network of people I wouldn't want to miss out on meeting at a four year institution. I would tell my younger, naive self not to take for granted the oppertunity that was in front of me by wallowing in the fact that high schoold didn't go the way I wanted it to. All this said, I cannot go back. I can only move foward and make the most of what lies ahead.

The best thing about NRCTC is that the campus is expanding. NRCTC strives to meet the needs of the students by expanding the courses offered and when.

Someone who is undecided about what direction they want to take, someone who wants to take prerequisites and transfer, someone who might not want to go away to a four year institution starting out, someone who wants to start a new carreer, or someone who wishes to get a two-year technical degree starting out.

I would tell myself not to get too involved with just hanging out with friends and actually buckle down OFTEN and get work done. Also, I would tell myself not to go home EVERY weekend and actually immerse myself into the college life and join clubs and get involved more academically. Don't do the bare minimum. Actually concentrate more in class on the lessons and lectures and not on what I was doing when I was done with class. Be prepared for the crazy things that can happen and learn time management better. Don't stress about too many things just take one at a time.

The worst thing about the school is that there are not very many quiet spots to do work without being interupted.

there is a somewhat lack of communication between the students and the administration about things.

Tasheena

A student who has already determined what they want their career to be, should not attend this school because here you take the core classes that you need. In doing so, you can decide on what you want your college career to be. If they have their career chosen, or a scholarship paying for all the finances for a university, I suggest for them to attend there. Otherwise, a technical school is a smart decision to make: it is cheap, affordable, and close to home.

What I consider to be the best part about my school is; it's very close to home, it's affordable, and it allows me to take core classes needed for my career. The cost is the best thing about my school because I could not afford going to a university right after I graduated high school. Instead, I chose this technical college because it allows me to stay at home and keep my job, for savings of a university in a year or so.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I need to take the college advice more serious then what I did. Knowing what I know now about college then and now, I would have listened to the teachers more attentively and would have been more willing and open about the speeches that were given about college. I came from a small town, and college wasn't something the majority of people chose. I am the first out of my family to attend college, it has been a very fun, stressful, and challenging experience. In high school, I would have taught myself more responsiblity, self-discipline, time managment, and learn how to set priorities first because you only have yourself to rely on in college. I would tell myself when a task is due, it's due. You only have one opportunity to do it in college and no second chances. The advice I would give myself is to be more assertive, make thoughtful decisions, manage time and plan ahead, set goals to challenge myself in difficult courses, and overall take control of my education, results count!

New River Community and Technical College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.