Northampton County Area Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northampton County Area Community College

Skylar

Copied from email I sent to Dean: I have been having serious issues with my biology Professor, Tanya Thompson. I ultimately have decided to drop my class and will look at other institutions to pursue my degree. I studied at Warren County Community College, Raritan Valley Community College, and Moravian College to get my B. A. in Music. This is my first class I have ever taken at this institution and it has been by far the worst class I have taken in my life. At no point in time did she ever attempt to reach out to the students before the semester began. So on day one I log on to black board to find a nightmare. Horrible instructions on how to log into different programs we were never told we needed. When I emailed her for clarification on how to login and why I had to pay additional fees, she sent me a 1800 number for the programs and told me to talk to them if I was having issues. I then spent over an hour on hold and never managed to speak to anyone to help the situation. Several days later I managed to get into the programs, with absolutely no assistance from the professor. The professor didn't make any attempts to teach this course. She would just post quizzes and lab work. We would reach questions that had no relation to anything from the chapter and email her, with no response. Myself and other classmates finally gave up on seeking her help and tried to help each other figure out the answers. There were labs with instructions that said add 'solution' to the test tube, with no explanation as to what the solution was. When emailed, once again there was no response. I ended up taking a guess finally and then after taking the test I emailed my classmates what the 'solution' was supposed to be. The final straw came the other day when she finally decided to email me, but she emailed me a link on how to get help for blackboard. I have attended 3 different college institutions and have taken in-person and online classes. I do not need help navigating a simple website. This woman needs to learn how to teach. I can provide emails from myself and classmates about the issues we have had if you would like. I understand that I can not get a refund at this time so I will instead be looking to leave a review about her and this institution in every possible location online.

Courtney

Northampton is a good choice if you are unsure of what you are interested in studying. I knew that I wanted to be a biology major from the start but still went here to save some money and to get my general education classes out of the way for a quarter of the cost of other schools. I do not recommend this school for students interested in science majors. There just aren't enough tutors to teach the students and the professors, at least in my experience, aren't in their office during their listed office hour time slots.

Joseline

I believe Northampton Community College is an excellent school for anyone. It is very affordable and provides a high scholarly level of education to all students. I havae been a student at Northampton Community College since 2011 and have obtaine my Associate's degree and well as my specialized diploma and currently in the process of obtaining another Associates degree in the Radiography departmnet. Northampton has made me successful!

Sheree

It is a very nice school with a lot of resources. I greatly appreciate the size of the classroom. I don't feel lost in the classroom.

Idalis

Everyone is nice and it's a nice and clean school and glad I came here first before transferring.

Northampton is a great school to start at. It's incredibly affordable and the teachers are some of the best out there. Don't let its community college status fool you, the staff come from amazing schools, and are at Northampton because they love to teach and see our potential. We have a diverse community- the school cafeteria has flags from all over the world, representing where our student body comes from, and there's not a single five foot space not dotted by a flag in that whole huge cafeteria, each representing a student (young or old) that we call our peer- And you'll never find a kinder student body, either. The classes are superb and the clubs are numerous. We actually are one of the only community colleges in the country with dorms, and they are comparable to dorms in 4-year schools, and priced more affordably than any of them. Overall, I couldn't be prouder to be a Northampton student- a member of the Northampton family.

Jasmine

I really enjoy the college it's so helpful in continuing my career. And we don't have class all day! Yay!

Jeffrey Logan

Being a local of Pennsylvania and not having an abundance of financial means, I consider NCC to be a godsend. In fact, before attending Northampton Community College, I attended Notre Dame High School right up the street; to me, NCC was the natural choice for me. Attending NCC also helped me overcome my personal anxieties around higher education. Although I attended Holy Family Elementary in Nazareth and Notre Dame High School, two very acceptable Catholic schools, my experience in high school was not exactly confidence-boosting. Although I still passed high school, some still with high grades, I had the most trouble my last few years. Picking harder classes than I was accustomed to and not having exceptional study skills, along with my own personal problems, I felt that I had bit off more than I could chew. Part of me believed that if I pursued higher education, my issues with academics would only worsen. All of this changed in my first semester of NCC. Even though I did not always excel, and there were different personal speed-bumps in my life, NCC's environment made my transition into higher education a much more enjoyable one. The staff have been exceptionally helpful and empathetic; the teachers were willing to work with my schedule or my financial issues, and in return I worked harder to show that I was worthy of their patience. To anyone wanting their first steps in college to be accessible, to help build a foundation of credits to transfer into other universities, or anyone wanting a local and friendly environment to earn valuable degrees, I would recommend Northampton Community Colllege to anyone willing to listen.

NCC is an overall good place to study for a very cheap price. The teachers care a lot about the students and there are always clubs to join. However, the dorms are small and kind of look like jails and the food served at the dorm rooms is bland and has made students sick on many occasions.

Jahkai

Northampton County Area Community College offers great academics at a manageable price. Also, there are many groups to join that can help with scholarship eligibility. I would recommend people that can't afford to go to a four-year university right after high school to go to NCC and then transfer.

Kira

Overall this school is great for anyone's needs. They will help you whether you need to finish your degrees or are going to get a start before transferring to a four year college. The professors are attentive and devoted to your success. Would recommend to anyone.

Johanna E.

When I decided to return back to Northampton Community College as a non-traditional college student, I was only interested in their Library Technician Diploma Program. As I became more comfortable on campus, I made the choice to continue my education for a degree after my completion of the LibTech Diploma Program. I am now a full-time student at the school and I am enjoying every minute of it. The professors have all gone above and beyond to make sure that I am doing my best. I was recommended for the Honors Program after two semesters of attending the school. It felt great to have someone see my potential and help me find ways to showcase my talents. Everyone in this school will make you feel welcomed and appreciated. This has been the best choice I've made in a long time.

Jonathan

NCC is a great college to start at if you want to save a ton of money or aren't quite sure what you want to do. Although it is kind of hard to meet new people compared to a normal college, there are still tons of ways to make new friends by joining clubs or other organizations.

Jessie

Amazing school, very good professors dedicated to helping their students. I have heard nothing but good things from my current employer and most recent employer which is a known hospital in my area about how they love hiring NCC nursing grads because of how prepared they are after graduating.

Xavier

The program is amazing and the faculty make it easier for me to work and have a great experience. Always there when needed and always work hard to help me not just academically but in a personal level as well. The atmosphere is great and the sports game are amazing to see.

Jamie

Northampton Community College is a great academic choice, as well as a great financial choice. The cost of tuition is minimal (even for out-of-state students), compared to four-year colleges and universities. The class sizes are small, allowing you to form relationships with professors, and seek out help when needed. The students at the college are very friendly, motivated, and active in extracurricular activities and clubs. The dorms also allow students to get a taste of the full "college experience", while still getting a great education. Northampton Community College is a great choice for students who want to transfer to four-year colleges, as well as students looking to study specific associate degree programs. Overall, Northampton Community College is an amazing place to meet new people, save money on tuition, and further your education and career goals.

Northampton Community College strives to create welcoming adventure filled atmosphere. This is accomplished through the clubs an activities created by our students. Each student's and individual walk of life give the campus a feeling of diversity, and acceptance.

Benjamin

A good 2 year school, it lacks the size and ability to be truly great. The students are mostly commuters so campus life is very small. The professors are mostly great, because the class sizes are so small they can pay special attention to each student. Overall, the campus is nice, the professors are good, and the students suck sometimes.

Jocelyn

I really like the school, the teachers are very knowledgeable and helpful. The school has a quiet setting and I can't complain. There are a lot of different groups you can join such as Christian groups or self-defense groups. I have met a couple of students there that were helpful. Also the best thing they offer there is free tutoring, this really helped me in English 1.

Abbi

NCC is an amazing place to grow accustomed to college life. It exposes you to college aspects without being a 4-year university. It is incredibly affordable and will save you a lot of money in the long run. The location is also great, right in the middle of Bethlehem, PA.

Gabrielle

It's a great school that offers many different majors and provides an environment that allows students to experiment and find what they're interested in. Many resources are provided for the students and there's a large variety of clubs so it's easy to mingle and find other like-minded people. There's even a little farmer's market that takes place every Wednesday and food trucks come once a semester.

Truthfully, I think Northampton Community College is a wonderful college. You wouldn't know it by the name, but the classes are rigorous and the dorms are passable. The student cafeterias and snack stations (There's a grill/restaurant thing in the dorms for late night study sessions) have vegan and vegetarian options, and if you want more fresh veg and options there's a farmers market. The dorm security is great, and it's a safe area, with great landscaping. Overall, a great place to be!!!

Angelique

I’ve been at Northampton for 4 semesters and I always feel at calm wherever I am there, every time I step foot onto campus I see events occuring for everything and there are always helpful chances for every student to achieve the best in their academics.

Genna

Overall, Northampton is a pretty good school. It is an extremely good value, I believe it is one of the most affordable colleges in Pennsylvania. The facilities are nice and most of the professors genuinely care about what they're teaching. They always make sure to let you know that they're available at any time if you need any help at all.

Michaela

Northampton County Area Community College is a great school. Most people don't proudly attend a community college right out of high school but I am glad I did. It saved me money and made me real friends in the community. The professors really care about you and your academic goals and most are more than willing to help you achieve them. Overall, NCC was an outstanding place to start my college career.

Cairline

I love the school because of its flexibility and proactive professors that actually invest I. Their students education. They take time out to explain material and give sound advice on how to succeed such as recommendations for tutoring. They encourage students to "think outside the box".

abigail

Northampton County Area Community College was not my first choice, but I am glad I applied and attended. I live on campus so I feel like I achieve the whole experience, which I highly recommend. The teachers are all friendly, staff inside the dorms are helpful, and the campus is always kept in clean. If you don't mind community colleges, this is a great and affordable college for someone who wants to get some gen. eds. out of the way or to get their degree.

Karissa

My overall opinion is that it is a beautiful campus with nice new classrooms and dorms! Teachers value student success. I know many students who thoroughly enjoy going to school there for the reason that teachers are so involved with ensuring students education.

Alicia

During my time at Northampton Community College, I found it to be a great institution that enables students to learn. Despite the stigma that comes with attending a community college, many of the students are very intelligent and successful both in the classroom and outside of the classroom. There are also many students that are from other countries. I found that most of the professors are very invested in their students and they are always available for student assistance. If you are great in your academics and have a high GPA, be sure to keep an eye out for Phi Theta Kappa. In order to be a member you have to be invited, as well as maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher so keep an eye out! When you transfer to other schools you get huge scholarships just for being a member of PTK. The only complaint that I have is with the Honors Program. While I was a proud member of the Honors Program, there are sometimes false statements made in regards to your chances of getting into prestigious institutions. During the first few meetings they made it seem as if you are guaranteed to be accepted into other local, prestigious institutions. While your chances are higher due to being an Honors Program member, nothing is guaranteed as they make it out to be. The process of transferring is also more difficult than the administration made it out to be. I found that there was little help available on the behalf of the administration when it came to the transfer process. Just be aware of these things if they pertain to you, other than that I had a great experience during my 1 year that I attended NCC.

Hayley

I like the college a lot. They are nationally ranked as a great community college and I knew I wanted to start there. The opportunities they offer is endless. From application to financial questions, everyone I met with and talked to was friendly and welcoming. I'm honored to be able to attend here and have the ability to work due to their flexible class times.

jesus

Northampton is ranked very high to be one of PA's greatest community colleges but I just don't feel as comfortable there as I feel like I should. I started off the school in General Education because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to be or do, but frankly after the lack of support I have received because of the size of the class and school, it's just been quite hard.