Throggs Neck, NY
SUNY Maritime College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Maritime College

Shevaughn

This is an excellent institution.If you want your children to grow as an individual and to become a very disciplined individual they should be guided to do courses which would make them eligible to become a member of the Regiment of Cadets. This group will build you as an individual. It also helps you to conquer your fears as an individual.

Christopher

I think that Suny Maritime College is overall a great school, there are many opportunities for us to be prepared for when graduate and go into the real world. The campus life here is great, it's very safe, The academics are good and teachers are available after class to help you if you don't understand what's going on.

Monea

I wanted to attend maritime for my entire undergraduate study. However, I missed out on my first semester. I personally love the campus, staff and, faculty. Everyone was welcoming and helpful. I have enjoyed my time here and planned to continue to do so. I will note that if you are an inregion student, you might spend a little more time in student affairs than you'd like, making sure your charges are the right but, overall it's great.

Christian

I love SUNY Maritime college and I believe this is one of the best schools to attend in preparation for your career. This environment is extremely friendly and as a "civilian/"commuter" student among a predominantly "regimental" student body who are housed on-campus, I feel as close to the students as I would be if I was in the regiment. The regiment in my school is a U.S. Coast Guard ENGINE or DECK licensing program that students can join to prepare for becoming licensed for the shipping industry. The program features a military style education and prepares the students for the "ship-life," how vessels are built/work and much more. I could not join the program as I could not afford it, but this school has treated me like family and I have not had the same feeling during any visits to other institutions prior to my coming to Maritime. I would recommend this school to anyone that truly wants to prepare for their sought career.

jeffrey

A school highly focused on career preparation and hands on experience but is corupted by the regiment. Classes are difficult because of the number of classes being taken during the semester. Food is horrible. The school overall is a great school because of the hands on training.

Serhiy

SUNY Maritime College is special place, that compares to a handful of other college in the nation. The ability to participate in the program and join the Merchant Mariner career force is like no other. The college has the facilities, professors, ship, and other programs to offer its students the resources to follow their designed career path. The college is constantly improving and I'm happy to see that during my time here.

Mary

I have a strong sense of pride concerning SUNY Maritime College since my father attended this school well before me. There is a strong bond that is formed through the years of attendance here and a completely different atmosphere compared to every other college.

Christian

If given the chance to meet with high school me, I would quickly reaquaint him with 7 year old me. Though I know this senior in high school is quite bright, the indecision of picking what skill to learn for the rest of his adult life is tremendous. For this reason I would show him how 7 year old Christian had a fascination with the universe and its abundance of secrets. We would learn that the seemingly rambunctious habit of destroying items by dismantling them was his method of discovering the world he occupied. We would also see how strange experiments that ruined remote controls and light bulbs were actually colossal steps in steeping oneself in the mysteries of our ever evolving world. This retrospection would remind him that our destination is the journey itself and that approaching life with a sense of wonder opens the mind to a universe of knowledge. The big lesson to my old self would be that there is no correct pathway to learn and that creativiy is key to build a foundation of wisdom. After all, if the cosmos have taught us anything, it is that change is our only constant.

The best thing about the school is the collective environment that every factor helps creates and make my campus extremely unique. The most obvious factor is the factor is that my school is located in a peninsula surrounded by water with our own training ship that houses more than 600 students that spend half their summers at sea learning about the nautical side of their field in order to earn a license from the coast gaurd. Coupled with good waterfront recreation this is a very nautically themed college.

Cody

From the firm regiment to the exhilaration of being out at sea, the Maritime Ccollege truely is an experience like none other...

Throughout High School I would’ve considered myself an excellent student. I received A’s and B’s in every class and had maintained a GPA of 3.5 or better. When I first came to college my expectations were that I had just completed four years of High School how much different could college be besides living on your own and having the self discipline to go to class. As it turns out, that was not the case. I did not study much during High School because everything pretty much came easily to me. If I could go back in time to High School I would study more because it is one of the most important skills to have. If I had studied more in High School it would be a lot easier for me to study in college because it would be a habit. Also, I would learn to be faster at typing and be able to type without looking down at the keyboard. This would make typing papers much faster and easier. If I had learned to do all these things in High School, the transition to college would be much easier.

When I first came to the SUNY Maritime College I did not know the regimented program they had would be so strict. I wish I had known about the room and dress inspections as well as the morning formations. Also, about all the rules and regulations we have to follow as freshman. It was unclear to me that we have to earn certain privileges. I did not think the regiment was as military based as I found it to be.

Devon

The best thing about Maritime is the experiences you get to have as a student. If I could change anything about the college it would be the professors. I think the size of maritime is perfect not too big or too small. Most people have never heard of the school and they are either really interested to hear more about its uniqueness or they don't care. Most of the time I'm in my dorm there isn't much to do on campus. The college town of Maritime is Manhattan located across the east river. Terrible administration. Too many controversies for me to address just one of them. I would say Maritime lacks school pride. I would say the most unusual thing about the school are some of the students, I have never seen weirder people in my life only maritime could have such weird people. I'll always remember my first cruise. Most frequent complaint is probably the food.

I'm simply going to answer all the suggested questions Im not really sure what groups are the most popular but as far as sports go i would say football, lacrosse, swimming, and soccer are the most popular sports. I am on the cross country team. If your interested in cross country let me know, but ill be brief. I love the team its a lot of fun, really good people, and you'll have a lot of cool experiences like Saturday practices in central park. I would not say people leave their doors open because theft isn't exactly uncommon for freshman, but I am not anal about always locking my door. Athletic events are decently popular, the sports I mentioned usually get to the playoffs or at least have some good rivalry games attended by a decent crowd. We do have some guest speakers dating scene is pretty limited so good luck I met my closest friends through indoctrination, I was part of their section for my first year and one is my roommate. Trust me the one thing about maritime is that the only way you wont have a group of friends is if you try not to make them. If i'm awake at 2am i am studying, however some people would be sneaking back on campus Big events: homecoming, ROTC Ball, semiformal, Mug-o-ween, not much else school has a dry campus policy, NO PARTIES Frats and sororities=non existent Last weekend I had a cross country meet You do pretty much anything if you leave campus GO into NYC and find fun things to do

Umm to be honest i dont really know what stereotypes there are about maritime.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Football- just won the conference championship, very popular team on campus, also full of cocky jerks. Soccer- just won the conference championship, good luck getting playing time though unless your an outstanding player. Basketball- normal team Baseball- normal team Crew- come with experience Cross country- very fun team Ice hockey- hopefully you dont mind practicing from 12am-2am rugby- not a team i would join Lacrosse- too many people are on this team Sailing- you better be experienced or dont bother joining swimming- very fun team to be a part of but its a bit overcrowded I would say the sports are very mediocre but if your looking to stay in shape and do something extra-curricular then definitely join a team. Its also the best way to make friends.

I would say that with all the bad comments you might see about Maritime, that he look of the campus could be one of the few positives. This is how I would describe the campus to someone who has never seen it. It is basically a small peninsula and as you drive onto campus you see one of the largest Naval Reserve Centers in New York. There is a running track that goes all the way around the outside of the campus providing a very nice view. On one side of the campus you'll see the Long Island Sound with city island and The USMMA of kings point. You'll most likely see a bunch of ships or tugs. Then on the other side of campus is the Training Ship Empire State. You'll see across the east river is Queens and then in the distance you see the beautiful Manhattan skyline with the empire state building which will never get old, it is always very impressive. The rest of the campus contains the main building with our mess deck and school store. You have the quad area with our giant flag pole and the dorms on either side. Theres the activity hall/ waterfront building where you'll be a lot if your into sailing. Then you have the pentagon fort, Fort Schuyler. Our engineering building the S & E. Then you have our athletic building which features a weight room, cardio room, classroom, gymnasium/basketball courts, racquetball courts, athletic trainer, swimming pool, extra rooms, football field, and baseball field.

What are your classes like?

For the most part my classes are pretty difficult. I am a marine engineering major so I take all engineering classes. Keep in mind I run cross country so I have practice at 5:45am and then from 4:30pm-8pm. I don't get very much free time to do work which makes things harder for me than someone who does not play a sport. Anyways I have found toughest class over the last three semesters has been calculus 1 2 and 3. It is not because the class is necessarily difficult, but I have never had a good math teacher. For the first two semesters I had a teacher named Dr. An. He is asian and can be a little difficult to understand. Its not that he is a bad teacher, but he moves very fast and he is somewhat lazy. He is extremely intelligent so he doesn't realize that some of the stuff he does is way over the heads of his students. I will say that for the majority of his tests he is very fair as long as you are prepared and understand the material. Calculus three has been a completely different experience so far. I have Professor Bogaryan who is by far the worst teacher on the face of this earth. He is some nationality close to Russian. He is very difficult to understand and communicate with. He only has one hand and when he writes on the board I'm pretty sure a two year old could write neater. It has come to the point where I go to the class so that I get credit for attendance and I simply bring my book find what chapter he is going over and I take my own notes and completely ignore everything he is teaching. To summarize this whole thing take Dr. Cole for any math class you can if you attend Maritime College

No personal experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and or other groups. I would say. Anyone that likes to have fun. Majority of students wear military khaki's because its a military college. The school is very segregated between civilian and regiment students. there are only 2. Most students are from long island. All people talk about is how they chose this school to become rich.

Certain professors may know you by name, but for the most part you don't get a very personal experience with professors. Favorite class would be chemistry and material science they both were talk by the best teachers I have ever had and I loved everyday i had the class. Least favorite would be calculus 1, 2, 3 because for 1 and 2 it was talk by an asian that couldnt teach very well was difficult to understand and he moved too quickly making the difficulty increased and then for calc 3 I have a one armed russian that barely speaks english and writes so poorly that i have to take my own notes straight from the book and teach myself all the material.Participation varies usually its not very good. No students dont have intellectual convos and very few are even intellectual. Very lowmlevel of competitiveness in class b.c. everyone sleeps. Ship systems is a pretty unique class. I am a marine engineering major. Never seen a professor outside of class. The school needs to increase its requirements academically. Geared toward getting a job.

SUNY Maritime College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.