New London, CT
United States Coast Guard Academy

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend United States Coast Guard Academy

Noah

It's a good school that develops leaders prepared for the fleet. Starting with Swab Summer before you even begin academics, you are challenged mentally and physically. You grow close with your classmates and rely on them for help. You become family. The academics are difficult but it all depends on the person and the instructors are often available for one-on-one assistance. The location is not the best because there isn't much around that is close, but a couple hours in different directions and you hit some big cities. This military academy matures young men and women from all backgrounds. This is a challenging place that produces leaders of character ready to serve their country.

Bryan

The most difficult part of the transition to college life is time management. Even with the most difficult high school courses including Honors, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate do not compare to the demands of educators at highly prestigious academic institutions. In order to manage a demanding workload including 4 or more of these classes, you must maximize the use of your time. If you are struggling in a particular field, align your study plan with the professor's office hours schedule and take advantage of their knowledge and expertise. Also, focus more of your time into classes which you are struggling with. If you personally track every grade you earn and continuously track your expected grade in each class, you can easily identify which subjects which need your attention and can also identify how you perform on different types of assignments. You may ace most quantitative assignments, but perform poorly when writing research papers. This knowledge also gives you the ability to plan your future course load to your advantage.

The United States Coast Guard Academy is a challenging school where cadets are pushed to excel both physically and mentally. The Coast Guard Academy is looking for student athlete leaders who wish to serve as officers in the Coast Guard. Applicants should seek every opportunity to engage in athletics and community service activities in order to be a strong candidate for admission. Cadets who do possess sound moral character rarely make it through the first year of this program. However, well rounded individuals have an immense opportunity to develop personally and serve in their countries oldest continuous seagoing service.

The United States Coast Guard Academy graduates young men and women with sound bodies, stout hearts and alert minds, with a liking for the sea and its lore, with that high sense of honor, loyalty and obedience which goes with trained initiative and leadership; well grounded in seamanship, the sciences and amenities, and strong in the resolve to be worthy of the traditions of commissioned officers in the United States Coast Guard in the service of their country and humanity.

Carla

This college beat me down and built me up into a specific type of student the college believed would be successful at the Coast Guard Academy and in the fleet of the Coast Guard as an Officer. In short, I have developed a new appreciation for every task that I complete daily and a greater understanding of my leadership style.

Outstanding performance and the Coast Guard.

Many of my classmates were supportive and friendly. Everyone is conscious of safety and thus operates in groups.

Brett

The best thing about our school is that you are guranteed a job when you graduate as an officer in the United States Coast Guard! The experiences you get here are unlike any other you could ever get elsewhere. If you are dedicated to yourself and to your country, this is the place for you. If you are not totally all about being in the military, this is not the school for you.

I wish I would have known that the lifestyle here gets very monotenous. We do the same things every day. When I applied here, I thought we would do a lot of military activities, but we rarely do. Health and physical fitness is not stressed as much as you would think a military school would.

Be mature, think about your future and not what you are doing rightnow. Sports are fun now, but they will not get you a job later in life. Go to a school that offers the best academics and that is very prestigious. Always do your best and never limit yourself to lower standards. Be strong, be thoughtful, and be innovative! And most importantly, love the ones who love you!

Jordan

Confidence and believe in yourself is all you need to do transition into college life, especially academy life.

My classmates are extremely close-knit, driven, intelligent, and great people. You really have to want to be here (the Coast Guard Academy) in order to succeed.

A person who can't handle a lot of responsibility, who doesn't do well under pressure, and who doesn't want to serve their country.

Matthew

I would give myself advice on how to survive swab summer. Because that was tough, I would also tell myself to keep my chin up and be proud of where i was going.

It's a military school so you have to be open to discipline and all that. You don't have to pay a dime to come though which is a huge advantage and you will have a guaranteed job after graduation.

The lack of social life and strict rules, along with the limited abount of free time.

Cory

Make sure you visit the school. Spend a night on campus with other students and without your parentsand see what really goes there. Make sure you ask all the questions you have, no matter how stupid. But most importantly you have to visit the school and do not sell yourself short

It is a free education, it is about the only motivation for being there, other than becoming a commisioned officer in the Coast Guard.

Evan

The Coast Guard Academy is unique in too many ways to name. To name a few, we have summer trainings that can take us all over the world, or flying in a helocopter, or running "boot camp", better known as Swab Summer, for the incoming freshman, or being responsible for a multimillion dollar military vessel. there is also the fact that when you gradutate, you will earn a commisioning as an officer in the United States Military. Many companies search for and nearly "stalk" former officers because of their discipline and ability to both lead and manage.

When I talk to my friends about my school, I like to brag about how hard it is and how I make it through the semesters on 3-4 hours of sleep a night all while juggling the stupid stuff the upperclass make us, as freshman, do. I also brag about all the amazing and unique opportunities that the academy experience offers. This past summer, I saved 9 lives, kept a boat from sinking, and traveled around Europe and crossed the atlantic on a 295 foot sailboat. I also like to throw in how much I get paid.

Trip

Determined, driven, intelligent, strong individual

Determined, driven, intelligent, strong individual

Follow your heart. Stick with your dreams but do NOT be afraid to change it.

They are very competitive; however, are willing to help me with anything and are kind hearted people.

• $942

United States Coast Guard Academy administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.