Warrensburg, MO
University of Central Missouri

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Missouri

Morgan

My classmates are very friendly and will talk to you to get to know you and help you get involved so that you're not sitting in class with no one that you know. They will ask you if you want to get together to work on the assignments and study for whatever class that they have with you. They make it very easy for you to not feel like you're all alone. A lot of them are right there with you by means of being new on campus or not knowing anyone else at school.

I have learned how I really need to manage my time. Being in college has taught me priorities, what is more important to get done first. I love how even if I don't get something in a class there are people on campus all over who are here to help. I love how I can expand my knowledge in my areas of interest, that's not something that you can get in high school. In college it goes into detail of everything that you need to know about things. Living on campus has it's major advantages. It gives you a little taste of what it's like to be on your own without actually having to be on your own. So you learn how to balance your school, your work, and also keeping things straight around the dorm. Because on top of school and work, you have to take the trash out, wash dishes, wask your own clothes, and know when you need to go to the store to get more necessities. Coming to college was one of the best decisions that I've ever made. I know it will better my life in the end.

I think that the worst thing about my school is that there isn't much to do off campus if you want to get out and do something. There is a movie theater, a few restaurants, a few places to shop, but most places that you would normally go to to get things or places you would go to to shop aren't here. You have to drive at least 30 minutes to the next biggest city that would have those things. But other than that it's pretty awesome.

Sierra

I have learned a lot about myself and other people. Being on my own has helped me mature, and grow. I have learned from my mistakes, and worked super hard for my grades unlike I did in high school. School has never really been hard for me, so I have had to learn how to study, and focus harder on my classes. College has always been important to me and it is a good way to improve my life in the future.

Central missouri has a large diversity in it's students so any one can attend.

Vanessa

University of Central Missouri is a perfect size school. We have the perfect ratio of teacher to student. We also have a variety of opportunities to get involved on campus with not only fraternities and sororities but as Residential Advisors, SGA, intermurals, clubs, and so much more. What is most unique about our school is that we have a great campus. With great landscaping, we are able to walk around and interact with other students while all our classes are within walking distance.

Because I was shy in high school, I would tell myself to start getting involved on campus early on. I would let myself know the fun and different opportunities there are so I could get involved right away. Because I am a Resident Advisor, I would want to recommend myself to apply my freshman year. I believe that getting involved early on would eliminate negative freshman experiences and provide better ones. I would let myself know that the determination we have will go far. I would also tell myself to research more into what I want to accomplish in life so that I would be better prepared to choose a major. Then I would tell myself to begin interning as early as possible so I would know that the major is right for me. The last advice I would give myself is to go to bed and wake up early. Although I do really well in school, this advice would be very beneficial because it makes academics so much more easier.

UCM is great at conveying what their school is about to prospective students. The only thing I wish I had known is how much aid/scholarship UCM provides with better ACT scores.

Diana

My classmates in my classes are all different, different in age, ethnic background and in study habits, there is a large variety in the students that attend the University of Central Missouri. Most students are nice, driven and are understanding as well as helpful, though some are the opposite. College really opens your mind to all the different types of people, classes and to your surroundings as well as the "big picture" of your future.

If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice I would tell my self to relax that I am picking the college that is right for me. The University of Central Missouri is not too big and not too small, and there is a wide variety of students so you are able to make friends with all types of people no matter what their major is. I would also like to tell my high school self that I need to make the best use of my time once I get to college and that working in college is probably not the best fit for me. I found that working during college was stressful and I was up late working on my homework almost every night. I found that not working would be the best thing for me, now I have my homework done early and am no longer stressed out about work. I would also tell my self to put myself outside of my box and open my self to some new and good experiences, and that parties are not a good way to experiment. Always be responsible, compassionate and open minded and have fun!

The best thing about UCM that I really like is the campus size and the arrangement of campus. UCM has a relatively small campus size there are only about 14,000 students on campus which makes the classes small and more individually based as well as having the college feel of "new" and "different setting than high school". The arrangement of campus is nice too, it is all in one location, so you do not have classes all over town and everything is in walking distance about 15 minutes to get from one side of campus to the other.

Nyisha

If I could go back in time I would tell myself about the diverseness that can be found on campus. I attended a majority black ethnic high school. Bringing open-mindedness with you as you attend college is a great idea. You will meet so many people who you may communicate with for the rest of your life. I met some excellent people of many different races, and that allows me to learn things I didn't understand or was unopen to thier cultures and heritages. Another thing I would tell myself, is to gain study skills throughout your high school years. Studying is one of the main ways to help a college student succeed. I would say learn to use the school library and also be sure on what you want to major in and go forth as a career. Looking for scholarships and Interns can also be a great idea. Another great idea would be to learn how to budget money. Money is needed for late night hunge cravings, laundry, or just anytime you want to go out and enjoy some fun time with some friends. College life is an excellent expierence all students should go for it.

Kathleen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to work as hard as I can to prepare myself for college. To accomplish this goal, I would take the opportunity to take a college level course to acquaint myself with the complexities of how college professors approach teaching as opposed to their high school counterparts. I found that to be the hardest transition, while I was able to work independently in high school, not have the same type of readily available instructor resources to fall back on was a challenge. This forced me to change my approach to learning and studying by making me rely more on my own initiative.

I was given access to all the information I needed to determine that this was the best choice of schools for me. The staff was very helpful and answered all of the questions my parents and I had. At this point in time, there is nothing I wish I'd known before I came to UCM. I'm very happy here.

I do not feel that any student should be excluded from this or any other school. We have a large diversity of students currently attending UCM and everyone melds together wonderfully. I haven't witnessed or heard of any conflicts between any students. I'm a very firm believer in equality regardless of race, gender, or background. Education is important and everyone should be given the opportunity to achieve their educational goals.

Sierra

Take a speed reading class so that boring textbooks won't be so difficult. Read books about your field so that you know more about your possible majors and career goals (you won't have to do such extensive searching at the same time you are studying). Learn how to use the most current computer software; your papers and Power Point presentations will be more creative. Think about undergraduate research; it will give you practice for graduate work and could be fun (don't worry; there are funds and scholarships for the research). Do not be afraid to join a scholastic fraternity or sorority (or academic/community organization); fees can be waivered if you just talk to them about your financial situation. Constantly apply for scholarships; the earlier you apply, the more likely the selection committee will look at your application. Finding friends is the easy part (I found a whole bunch without even trying). Your roommate will be cool, so do not be so upset about living with somebody new. The people who set you up with one know what they are doing. Have a positive attitude about college because it will be a lot of fun.

I wish I'd known how to be social and have a job at the same time. It's really hard.

Someone who is intent on engineering probably wouldn't find this to be the best college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would provide an immense amount of motivation to myself. College work is challenging, but can also be very rewarding. As a high school student, I feel as though I didn't understand to a full capacity the level of seiousness I needed to put into my studies. Unfortuantely, the focus falls more on socialization and less on how your education will effect your career. It is hard as a high school senior to decide on a path that will lead you to the rest of your life, and the decision is a very intimidating one to make. I would stress to my past self that each and every course, each and every assignment, will pay off in the long run if the focus and determination is there. Many things in life will present a challenge, but if the motivation to suceed is there than anything is possible. I feel as though I limited my own possibilities by allowing myself to give into the fear of the unknown, and if I could go back I would let nothing stand in my way.

In high school, I never studied for anything. Not because I was lazy or didn't care, but because I was good at memorizing information. Knowing what I know now I would tell myself not to get used to not having to study for tests, because in college, everything is different, and the amount of information covered on a single test is not something I could easily memorize.

Ryan

Of all the new abstractions you will encounter in college, knowledge is the most valuable. Love is fleeting; freedoms can be lost; friendships are ephemeral; but knowledge will endure. It is in this attribute alone that sets knowledge apart from any of the others. Do not overlook the value of such a quality as endurance as I did. Remember that the purpose of college is knowledge. Do not succumb to the temptations of instant gratification by letting the others distract you from your purpose, for their luster is quick to fade. Instead, re-order your priorities so that pursuit of knowledge is primary and all others are secondary. Do this, and you will experience a more powerful and lasting feeling of gratification.' So my final piece of advice to you, before you embark on your college journey is this: love knowledge. For she is a far better lover than any other you will ever experience. She will never leave you.

University of Central Missouri administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.