William Carey University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for William Carey University

I really love Carey. It isn’t 100% perfect, but in my opinion, it’s as close as possible. The dorms are all kept up well, and you can always find someone to talk to. Professors are very accessible almost always. The classes my seem expensive,but they give nice scholarships. The only thing that is completely lacking is the cafeteria, but it is being worked on.

Chloe

William Carey is a college that has been around for over a century, attaining the status of university in 2006. I began attending the university last fall as a pre-medical biology major with the intent to apply to the William Carey College of Osteopathic Medicine upon my graduation with a Bachelor of Science in 2020. I attended William Carey University’s freshman orientation – CareyWOW – which was held the week before the fall trimester began. I almost skipped it, but it allowed me to move in before all the upperclassmen, so I opted in. Because of this, I not only got settled in well before classes started, but I also met most of my classmates at Carey WOW 2016. The orientation was well organized and our leaders (two staff members and two upperclassmen per group of 6-10 freshman) were excellent at being intentional to form relationships with us. I am still friends with both of my student leaders and I am going to be a student leader for CareyWOW 2017. The events were fun and engaging, and we also went out to do community service in one or two groups. I am in the presidential honors college (William Carey Scholars), so I am required to take one honors course per trimester along with my core curriculum and major courses. (To be a Carey Scholar one must have a minimum 29 ACT and a cumulative 3.5 grade point average.) The honors professors are excellent and highly invested in our progress, and the required honors colloquia are usually fascinating and relevant. While I believe the best part of WCU is the academics, the athletic program is excellent and the campus housing is decent. The extracurricular activities are often poorly advertised and certainly have room for improvement, but the Baptist Student Union and Student Government Association are well staffed and have made significant progress even in the year that I have been here. The most compelling reason to come to WCU, after academics, is the strength of the community between the students as well as between the students and professors. Even in the aftermath of the recent tornado, the university only missed a week of classes and caught up by the beginning of the next trimester. I am not typically the “school-spirit” type of person, but I have made leaps in my knowledge and education in the last year, as well as growing as a person through the friendships I’ve made at Carey. I love my university and I would highly recommend it to both freshmen and transfer students.

Belisa

It is a great school. It has grown over the years since I graduated. It offers so many more different programs such as DO and Pharmacy. The classroom size are small so the teachers know you by name and is always willing to help. Which is a great thing for first time college students or for older adult learners.

Madysan

William Carey immediately felt like home after my first tour. The people and the atmosphere are so very welcoming. Everyone that attends this university leaves a changed person. Through the good and bad times, this school remains to focus on God. #CareyStrong

A university is an institution for advanced learning. Some universities have forgotten that academics come before greek/social life and sports. William Carey University, however, has not. After transferring from a heavily greek-life based university (Mississippi State University), I have been able to compare university types. At WCU, I have gained incredible experience due to the use of cadavers for pre-med majors and knowledge for my major due to the smaller classes. The trimester schedule, spiritual environment, pre-medical program, and Hattiesburg location are other key points that I have truly enjoyed. As with any university, the staff is not perfect but is, for the most part, very professional; helpful; and caring (especially due to the smaller classes). Though "typical college experiences" such as getting wasted and stoned every weekend are definitely not found at William Carey University, a top education is. After maturing and realizing the importance of education, I am more than happy to follow the path of a mature, educated woman.

Janeise

I think William Carey University is an amazing school and I can only hope of receiving the opportunity to attend.

Kalon

I love attending William Carey! Choosing to attend this university was the best decision I have made for education. My favorite thing about Carey is the class sizes. They are very small which allows for smaller student to teacher ratios. Plus the campus is secured very well. I would recommend William Carey to anyone in search of a private university to attend.

Jalyn

William Carey is a great school that is dedicated to the success of their students. The professors are willing to help the students outside of the classroom to help them better themselves and prepare for the workforce. Financially, the university is willing to work with each student to ensure that he or she can continue their education.