American Musical and Dramatic Academy Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for American Musical and Dramatic Academy

Adric

Very Accurate & Fun i would say it’s better than Hollywood arts On Victorious Scholarship Essay Creative People Do not see things merely for what they are they see them for what they can be.-Julie Israel. Creativity is the way I plan on achieving my goals in life. I know I’ve had rough time in school and out of school, but creativity is what raises me back up. Theatre is more than just a hobby and a high school extracurricular activity to me. To theatre majors, it’s a calling, a passion and, hopefully, a career for me.Although,I am not in plenty of things in school but during my free time out of school and out of school I occupy my time with drawing and writing short stories.

Analaura

I believe The American Musical and Dramatic Academy of The Performing Arts in Los Angeles is a great school. There are so many opportunities for you to grow as a person and as a performer. The facilities are always available and helpful. There's so much to do and there's always something going on on-campus to keep you busy.

Gwen

Upon wrapping up my first semester at AMDA NY, I can say with confidence that I am extremely pleased with the quality experience I'm receiving. All of the professors have a list of credentials to the moon and back, most of them are even still working or auditioning; you know you're getting the most up-to-date information on the industry. Class sizes are incredibly small and personal- less than 20 students in all of my classes, and the professors know us all by name! The course-load is intense, some days you'll have classes beginning at 8 a.m. and ending at 5:30 p.m., but it's excellent preparation for when we are working professionals who are doing 8 shows a week. The school has no meal plan, however there is a small cafe on the 3rd floor of the 61st building (main campus); although when you're practically in the heart of Manhattan finding delicious food isn't too much of a struggle. The school provides us with endless "study" tools, there is almost always around 5 piano accompanists available to work on musical pieces with you, rooms and studios available to be "rented out" for free to practice dance routines and scenes, etc. Finally, one of my personal favorite aspects of AMDA, is that there is little to no book work. I rarely take notes, have homework, take tests... forget it. Our school's version of finals are called "demos", which is where we demonstrate the skills we've been learning over the past semester for the department chair and all the professors. Being in the dance program, I learn a few routines in each class and then perform them in front of the faculty panel as well as the rest of the dance majors semesters 1-3. For my non-dance classes, it's essentially the same; one scene for Acting, a few songs for Singing, a group piece for Voice Production and Speech. Overall, I couldn't be happier with my college experience, I feel like this school will help me to become is the most prepared I could possibly be for my career.

Terrance

I remember touring the American Musical and Dramatic Academy 2 moths before I got accepted. Walking throughout the campus I had a feeling that this is where I am supposed to be. Once I got accepted, I didn’t even think about it I said yes. Being at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy has been an amazing experience and it is one of the best schools in the country to come polish your talent and become the star you’re meant to be. And all of our staff have appeared on Broadway, Film,and Television and they understand the struggle of being a starving artist and it makes you feel that you are not alone. The American Musical and Dramatic Academy is an amazing college with so many opportunities and I am so blessed and lucky that I am attending a school where I know I’m getting the BEST education and training.

zaria

Everything is within walking distance which is great. All of the faculty is still working in the business that they're teaching in school. The school gives the faculty and students free tickets to see shows. Everyone there is dedicated to their work so the environment is great.

Brianna

My overall opinion is that the AMDA is a good preforming arts college. I am currently in the acting program which is one of three programs provided. The other two are dance and musical theatre. Which I have heard great things on account from students who are in the program. The staff is made up of pretty phenomenal people, who have been or who are currently working in the industry. You are also placed where all the magic happens whether you are attending the campus in New York or Los Angeles. The school provides intense classes that try their best to prepare you for the future. I have never had as much fun or never been challenged so hard physically and mentally before coming to AMDA. My complaints would only be about how there is not a meal plan and how the dorms are quite small and bit dirty. With that said there are cafes avaliable on campus, and there aren't many places in the entire city of New York that aren't either or. Even so, I love going here and recommend this college for other aspiring actors and actresses.

Briona

I am growing and learning daily. This has been my dream for as long as I can remember. They push you to be the best that you can be. Help where there may be a weakness and applaud where there are strengths. Many of the advisers are working professionals so we get an inside view of what life on the stage is like.

Gregory

I believe that AMDA is an overall amazing school that encourages it's students to pursue their dreams in the field of Performing Arts. Overall, I believe that AMDA is a university that other schools should strive to be, and I cannot wait until I am able to attend the school myself.

Kathryn Diane

I love going to this school. If you want to become a serious performer it is the place to be! The locations of the campuses in LA and NY are perfect especially because thats where the industry predominantly is! The amount of tuition is very off putting, but it feels worth it getting to work with other students with the same mindset. The teachers are also all working professionals or were at some point in their careers.

Paul

This Conservatory is the place where dreams come true. They give us the training that we need in order to have a very successful career in the performing arts. The teachers are dedicated to their students, They take the time out of their busy schedules after class to help each student, and they are working with people in the performing arts industry. Plus it is in the city of dreams New York, what more could you want out of school. It has a very safe environment even though it is in New York. You’ll always find a friend somewhere around the corner.

Isaiah

A haven for young artists with the passion to travel uncharted waters to attain their goals. A campus located in the heart of the artistic community to which it educates/ employ's its students.

Octavia

The Los Angeles Campus is beautiful right in the heart of Hollywood. Everyone there is so nice and supportive and the teachers make you work hard because they really want you to succeed. The students that attend are very diverse, and everyone gets along and learns from each other. However never be late to class, and never leave your ringer on. Academic wise you get what you put in. Eventually, all the work you do pays off.

sydney

AMDA looks out for it's students. The students come first. they make sure that you know you are loved you are welcomed and you are wanted. you dont have to be afraid when you go to amda. everyone there is a friend everyone there loves you and accepts you for who you are.

taesia

I am Taesia Edmonds, I am seventeen years old and currently a senior at Duke Ellington School of the Arts. I had a opportunity to participate in the American Musical Dramatic Academy High School Summer Conservatory for dance theater and commercial dance in Los Angeles California. In the two weeks I was there I took classes on various styles of dance including hip-hop, contemporary, ballet, horton. We also made a music video to “Freedom” by Pharrell Williams with the dance concept of woman empowerment. Also we went on a field trip to Universal Studios. At the end of it all we presented what we learned in a showcase to family and friends. I had lots of fun. The food was great the teachers were great. Great vibes, Smiles All Day.

Bali

I enjoyed my time there and I would encourage others who are interested in what they offer, to attend it. It prepares students well for what they wish to achieve and can help make things easier for people who are new to performing arts and learning more about it. Their curriculum reflects well what their focus is. Attending AMDA can be helpful for further exploring and learning about the performing arts. I enjoy that they offer theater, dance and music. This was an enjoyable experience that I suggest students consider.

karina

its an amazing school and I would love to attend and graduate

Hana

There is no greater joy than waking up so early on a Monday morning, that the moon still hangs over the New York City skyline. Seeing the entirety of the ever-bustling city look quiet and calm from my dorm window gives me a thrill. One of the many values the school has drilled into me is the motto "to be early is on time, to be on time is late, and to be late is fired." I have taken it to heart, and show up to many 8 am classes by 7:30, thus requiring waking to a dark, starry sky. I am thankful for the value of time management that the Academy has instilled in me, and much more. I am grateful for the fantastic curriculum, which spans over 6 centuries of plays and music, and a dozen styles of dance. I am elated by the teachers, who are constantly working in the current industry, passing on invaluable knowledge with creativity and passion. But most of all, I love the mentality that AMDA teaches its students: "you are a professional, too." Hard work is absolutely necessary, and worth its effort here, because I am constantly reminded of this mentality. I am not being taught how to be a professional in my field in a few years time, once I've graduated - I am being told how to act like a professional now, and am treated accordingly, by the school, the faculty, and my peers. The schedule is rigorous, the classes are intense, and the days are entirely exhausting. But that exhaustion only serves to fuel me further in my pursuits. An education here is serious business, and I am glad to have a school that treats me as seriously as I treat it. I came to AMDA with passion, but it gave me purpose.

Keyara

I fell in love with the school because it has what I need to pursue my dreams.

Ianna

Awesome school

Deprecia

My opinion of American Musical and Dramatic Academy is fantastic. Coming from a small country town I hated everything and stayed homesick most of the time. My teachers help me get through that portion of my adjustment. Now I love everything about it. Most of my time is now spent on what I really love and Instructors that have really supported me.

Joana

In my opinion there's no better place. You get to learn from working actors. The student environment is amazing, you always feel supported and encouraged. You'll have the greatest experience of your life while meeting the best friends you'll ever make and learning from an incredible faculty.

emilie

Right from the beginning, they were supportive, caring for all of my problems, and gave great advice for my audition. The teachers are class-acts and very helpful when I needed it most. The students are great for an introvert like me, they help me get out there in the world.

Greta

Its a great school with wonderful teachers and active students. My only wish would be better housing (bigger rooms) and a meal plane. Its a great location with super opportunities to win theater tickets to see what the life of a theater major is like.

kenyotta

American Musical and Dramatic Academy is a private school that you have to audition to get into. It is an amazing school filled with amazing opportunities. All the teachers at the school are working professionals and they have so many successful alumni .

Corrine

I am currently in the integrated conservatory program here at AMDA for Musical Theatre and I have to say that this school is surrounded by good energy, organization, diversity and appreciation. My first day here, while moving in, I was welcomed very quickly with wonderful student helpers. They make you feel welcomed as soon as you step in; all the way from the staff! The staff is also amazing because they are on standby at all times and always are available for questions. What also helps is that for people that are not familiar with the New York area, have groups and walk you to each location you would need to go to for regular school days. The environment is so much fun, and so many interesting people.

Colton

The professors are absolutely amazing especially because they are all working actors and have relationships with a lot of people in the business. They are extremely intelligent about the business. The teachers hold you to such high standards, but they aren't​ outrageous.

Shanya

Overall I think this school is amazing. The teachers and staff are picked to be the most helpful in the performing arts majors. The campus is beautiful being located in the heart of New York City. Students are lucky to be immersed in Broadway culture right off the bat.

I love the experience that visiting AMDA provided me with. I am a lover of the arts and this school provides students with numerous opportunities for learning about art inside and outside the classroom. As an outsider I can notice very specifically that AMDA is school for those who want to learn the arts but also have connections to jobs and careers later on in life.

Gilberto

It's a great school, it has their ups and downs as in any other school. The student makes the whatever they want of it. The teachers are all working professionals outside of school so they know their craft. The down side is each department has a downside of unity all except dance and voice and speech. Overall everything is great if you want to be challenged you challenge yourself with the material you choose to perform, if not well the classes are going to feel useless for you. Great set of classes focusing on movement, voice, acting, dancing, improv, and stage combat. The class sizes are small enough that the teacher can work with every student for a decent amount of time.

Kezia

Dear, Unigo To whom it may concern: My name is Kezia Cornish and I have already made some amazing accomplishments in life. I am very proud of these achievements. In 2015 I attended the high school summer conservatory at The American Musical and Dramatic Academy in Manhattan, New York for 2 and a half weeks and learned very quickly that this was my dream college. I am proud to say today in the year of 2018 that I have been accepted into my dream college The American Musical and Dramatic Academy also known as AMDA New York. I believe that If Unigo decides to assist me financially towards my education at AMDA New York my gifts and talents will emerge even more. Some of my most memorable performances are as follows: Intimate Apparel in 2015 at The Community College of Baltimore County. I played a character named Mayme who was a prostitute by night and a pianist by day. I was recognized for playing this character with much poise and confidence . My biggest stage play performed was called My Big Phat Ghetto Fabulous Wedding in 2016. I was blessed to have met Ursula V.Battle Award winning Playwright and Dr. Gregory Branch Director of the show. Through this connection I was able to play the part of Sister Melody who was the very religious woman who had 2 sisters where one sister would quote incorrect scriptures, one sister would give the correct scripture and one would agree. I played the sister who would give the correct scripture. Due to this wonderful performance I also appeared on Fox 45 News to give a short piece from the play. We performed a popular scene and were recognized for our phenomenal acting and singing. Before I achieved my goals I went through many hardships that made me who I am today. For instance the hardest trial I have ever been through was losing my father in the year of 2009. To this day I have internal scars from the pain. My father and I were very close in fact the closest out of all my siblings. My parents were pastors of a church and when my father went home to be with the lord unfortunately our church was split. The church was later reopened by someone who had no consent as a result the church is not successful today. God has allowed my mother and I to be able to withstand these trials. My brother took it the hardest so he went through more than us. Dealing with these trials at this particular time in my life was extremely hard because I was only 12 years old which is a very crucial time to lose a father. I also went through homelessness. We had to sleep in my mom’s truck, and move from family to family members houses. After a while the family got tired of us being there and we were kicked out being forced to find another place. We still go through this today. This is my real life situation. Being accepted into AMDA New York has changed my life and is not just something I want but is something I truly need. It will change my living situation and save my life. I will be able to get established in life and also depart from non supportive family members. My only concern now is finding the right organization to help stand by me and support me in my dreams and endeavors. Thank you for your consideration in advance. Sincerely, Kezia Cornish

Kierra

I love the curriculum they offer at this school. It's all totally based on performing arts. Core subject classes are taught in way that is fits to your area pf study and I have yet to see that from other school. They don't just teach you to act, sing, and dance but also how to be an entrepreneur and run a business, because of course as a performer you are your business.

Kaleigh

My opinion on American Musical and Dramatic Academy is that it's a good school for students who are willing and wanting to push themselves to getting to their dream job. The teachers here are very helpful because they have been in our shows and some of them are still in training and working in the career field. And they give the best tips and notes for when us students get out in the real world after graduation and it is very helpful and gets my mind prepared.

Zoe

The professors and teachers care about the growth of the students from the second we start classes, to even after we graduate. The class content is wonderful and being able to do what I love every day doesn’t feel like work. However, the school is incredibly expensive and many people have issues with Administration; the administration is another beast entirely.

Tyler

Going to the American Musical and Dramatic Academy has been quite possibly one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. Since my acceptance, all I have seen from the staff is unstopping support for the ventures that my fellow students and I are undergoing. The professors are working professionals in the acting industry and often use their experiences as educational supplements. Nearly every class is hands-on, and even the "general-ed" classes are geared towards acting, music, and dance. No university that has blanket coverage of majors and programs could ever push me as far into educating me on my future career as AMDA.

The teachers are the best quality of this school,the administration could be better. The school productions are well put together and there are plenty of opportunities to gain work experience on campus. The community is very welcoming and inclusive and provides support.

Emery

Teacher are Amazing!!! Classes and Coarse Are Excellent!! Dealing with education services can be difficult at times, and its expensive.

It's great.

Sh'aunell

Overall this school has changed me as an individual , how i view certain things, and just how i operate in my everyday life. AMDA teaches you things that you never would have thought actually made in difference in your life until your focus is on it. Not only are we perfecting our craft as performers, but we are becoming stronger mentally. Ive never had a school challenge me so much mentally before I came to AMDA. This college really makes you have a whole new perspective on life and appreciation for the arts.

Micaila

It’s great. There is so much to learn. The environment is amazing. The classes are amazing. I’ve improved so much and this is a wonderful experience. I’m so happy and the people are great. New York is a great place to be and the opportunities they provide to everyone is a amazing.

Ryan

I do enjoy being at this school. My only problem with the school is not having any outside experience in the acting world like some actual examples on what to do in the acting world. Another problem I have is the cost. It is about $50,000 for a year. That is beyond what I can afford. I wish it was cheaper so I can focus on my passion and dream without having to worry about extreme debt.

Taurino

Over all the American Musical and Dramatic Academy is a pretty good school. I am learning everything I need to learn especially when it comes to auditioning and technique. Some things could be better like housing and food but at the end of the day I'm growing as an artist and learning to improve everything I have learned thus far.

Katelyn

AMDA is awesome! I go to the LA campus and I absolutely love it there. Everyone is always busy at work and there are many opportunities to take part in many projects. What's so great about it is that all your classes (academic) are related to what you're majoring in. All my courses are there to help me after I graduate and to understand myself more as a person and performer.

drew

My overall opinion is that this school is filled with tons of opportunity and learning experiences. Everyone here is so supportive and so encouraging in everything you do. The school is always evolving and is always getting constant feedback from the faculty and students to improve to the best of their ability.