Carlinville, IL
Blackburn College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Blackburn College

Blackburn is a unique college experience that is fantastic. Small school situated in a small town, and the work college program keeps costs manageable while providing the life experiences that employers require. Every employer I interviewed with after college was intrigued by my experience, and I was offered almost every job I interviewed for.

Bailee

It is an amazing school. It gives students many opportunities, so there is something for everyone. It is a small, private school, so everyone knows everyone, and there is never a dull moment on campus. Everyone is so friendly, and there is always something to do. If you want something small with great opportunities, Blackburn is for you.

Joseph

I greatly appreciate Blackburn. The class sizes are small and they allow better relationships between students and professors. The staff there are excellent at helping students focus on their studies. It is a wonderful experience and I wish to keep attending there.

Rob

I would recommend Blackburn to anybody. We are a work college and for most majors, we have opportunities that are unparalleled. Psych major? Peer Counseling position. Accounting major? Business office employee. Marketing major? Assistant to Alumni Fundraising position. Leadership major? 12 work departments that require managers, assistant managers, and also the to General Managers that manage the entire Work Program at Blackburn. If you want real experience and an incredible resume, come to Blackburn.

Sam

Well, it is a liberal arts college so I guess the stereotype would be more of an artsy type of person. I'm not sure if I can agree or disagree with this stereotype.

Seems to be any athletic group. I was originally recruited to play on the baseball team, but truthfully, I hate it here, and I am going to transfer after just one semester.

In my opinion, very odd. The acceptance rate of the school is very high, so the campus seems flooded with people that seemed to barely graduate from high school.

Very small class size. Most professors seem passionate about teaching and will interact with the students.

Allison

My advice to my high school senior self is simple: get involved in your school, join clubs, participate in campus activiites, and get out there and meet people! Of course when you play sports you know your teammates, but reach beyond sports. Don't pigeon hole yourself into one facet of campus life like you did in highschool. Stretch yourself and try new things. Volunteering is something you have never tried and it can be very rewarding. I am now the president for our campus' Habit for Humanity chapter and have even spoken at a national meeting. Now that looks good on a resume! Plus, we go to Florida every Spring Break to build a house with another chapter. I joined a youth group and have found a lot of people there I enjoy spending time with because we have the same values. Don't worry, you will find you are so busy with sports, school, work, and volunteering that there isn't any time to miss home. You will come to love your school as your second home and all your friends are just down the hall from your room!

A person who wants to be fully engaged in all of their school and extra curricular activities. A person who wants their professors to know who they are and a person who wants to contribute not only to the college but to the community. Blackburn students have a mandatory work program of 10hours/week that is applied to the final tuition cost. A person attending Blackburn should have a strong work ethic.

We are a very small Division 3 school and it is hard to attract high performing athletes.

Marissa

If I could go back and give my high-school self advice about the transition from high school to college, I would definitely tell myself to not be a hermit. There are so many opportunities to get to know a wide range of people on campus. I would tell myself not to go home every weekend; but, to stay and enjoy campus life. I would also tell myself that for the first couple weeks that I was in my dorm room to keep my door open whenever I was in my room. I would also have to tell myself not to be afraid to raise my hand and say that I didn't understand something.

The Work Program. It was such a great learning experience for me. I loved working in different departments and really finding my niche at the school.

The professors really do know who their students are and will contact a student if he/she misses more than 2 days. They are very invested in the students.

Brian

I would tell myself to really gear up and focus on school work and not to take a year off after high school. Nothing ever worth anything comes easy, so work my butt off for the next four years so I can earn my degree and hopefully find a teaching job as soon as possible.

Someone who wants to get a work experience while getting an education since we are only one of seven work colleges in the United States.

Chelsea

My classmates are intelligent, hard working students who are always willing to help when it is needed.

I have horrible and unnecessary self-esteem and confidence issues. I always wanted to go to college, but never thought that I was good enough for it. Therefore, I would tell myself that I really do deserve this. I have worked very hard to get out of the rough lifestyle I have grown up in and make a better future for myself. I would remind myself that I am intelligent and ambitious. I should never second guess my abilities because doing so almost caused me to not go to college. I deserve to be in the wonderful school I attend where I am getting a top-knotch education. I can do this and will succeed. Myself as a high school senior would find all of this hard to believe. However, I would simply remind myself that this education is something that will last a lifetime and will help me go far in life.

My high school teachers always said that college was scary and professors don't care. That isn't true. College is a wonderful experience and should not be feared. People are friendly and open to help you around campus or with classwork. Teachers really want you to succeed and miss you when you're gone. I wish I would have known that there isn't a reason to be afraid of college when you first get there.

Renee

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would myself to take my college classes seriously. In high school I never really had to try to be a good student, or study all the time, but college is a different animal. I would tell myself to take every assignment seriously and study for every test. I would also tell myself not to be afraid to meet new people and make new friends, while still staying in close contact with my high school friends. Being able to broaden your horizons in college is an important part of the college experience. I would tell myself to make mistakes and take chances because you only get to be young once and now is the time to find out who I really am.

I wish I would have known more about the social aspects of the college I had chosen.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of pride some students have for our school. We aren't a big school and we are a unique studnet managed work college, this is an experience students can't get anywhere else, so we should be proud to be here.

Blackburn College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.