Lawrence, KS
Haskell Indian Nations University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Haskell Indian Nations University

Kristofer

Attention past version of me, this is Kris Sturm, future you. Now before you start having a panic attack or asking how I got a Tardis, no the future is not in danger. That said, I am sending this to help you with your personal future. Number one, focus on your school now, and sign up for more scholarships. Did you know, that in a few months you're gonna get your grade in English 4 down to an F? Yeah, I'm surprised too. Fortunately you pulled it off but don't do that if you can change it. Secondly, your first year in college isn't that bad, it is in fact a bit like high school. It's when you get to second year onward that the difficulty spikes. And one last thing, you'll have to get a job. Yes, I know, that wasn't the plan, but you can't rely on just those. It'll actually make you money and when you're working you're not spending money. See? You learned a bit as you got older, good luck buddy.

The best thing is the price as I am getting an entire education for cheap.

Rebekah

They are amazing because we all come together as a community and we all have at least one thing in common: Heritage.

Never give up and sometimes you do need to take some time to figure out who you are. I would suggest Education off the bat because I finished my Associates in Business and hated it. I would tell myself to go where my heart tells me to go, not everyone else.

I wish I had remembered to bring a coat. As silly as that sounds when I arrived I didn't expect to be bombarded by freezing cold. A Hoodie just won't do.

Haskell Indian Nations University is built on Pride, Honor, and Respect. HINU is a tribal college and the teachers emphisize that we must know where we come from to make sure we know where we are going. Everyone has to know what their ancestors gave up inorder for us to have a University for just Native American Students. Haskell Institute first opened in 1884 and has been running for 127 years.

Nicole, As you get closer to graduating high school and going on to college. Remember that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. No matter what anyone says about your dreams and plans, you can still prove them wrong. Be more than just a statistic and achieve the highest level of education. You might not know what you want to major in but you can change it as much as you want. You might not be taken seriously but you don't have to have life figured out right away. This life is like a book with so many chapters you are allowed to close one and write a new chapter when you feel like it. O yes, and when you make friends at your new school most of them will be friends for life and the experience from school will make you a better person. Your family will still be there and well they stay the same even when you come back. But always remember it's hard at first but those after you will find it easier to accomplish their educational goals because you were there. Pray hard and Give God the Glory

All the people I have meet while being here at Haskell. I have met so many inspiring Native American speakers and artists that have shown me what it means to be a Native American in the 21st century. To have the pride and honor to continue to break down barriers and accomplish things that we weren't meant to accomplish.

Joshua

My classmates at Haskell,based on my observations, act friendly towards each other and engage in stimulating conversation. They are willing to accept others into the groups. However, it will require initiation on your own part to go up and talk to them. After that part is done, then you may find out more information about the people, and possibly, someone you are interested in.

Hey, Josh. I'm you two years from now. Congratulations on you making it through all those years of stress-inducing jerks and putting up with being "babysitted" by the teachers. You've even managed to stay out of trouble and keep well in your academic standing. I'm proud of you. Now that you're closer to becoming a young adult this is where the fun begins. I'm talking about college. First things first though: The Transportation. Don't worry about it. Mom and Joe and Becky have got you covered on that. All you need to do is fill out the paper work. It's Tedious, but easy; get it filled out, then sent through the mail. The college is Haskell Indian Nations Univeristy, situated in Lawrence, Kansas. It's like Fayetteville, but with sidewalks. Take a breather right now kid. You're current academic and independence skills will suffice for your freshman year, but what is required of you is your social skills. You'll have all the time in the world for the internet and gaming. But you need to make friends. Trust me, you will gain happiness in college. I promise. NOW GET MOVING!!!

Upon entering Haskell, I wish that I knew how to start conversations with people. Prior to my first semester as a sophomore, I was very uncomfortable being with other people because of my shyness. Eventually when I opened up I found out how much potential I had when it comes to socializing. You can find people you can trust around Haskell and they can guide you towards making safe and fun decisions and steer you away from the bad ones. I wish I knew about my potential so that I could have had more fun earlier.

Miranda

I would start off by telling myself to always keep up with my classes, always go the extra mile. And to get all of my homework turned in on time. Never put things off til the last minute. Another thing that I would tell myself, is to be more confident in what I do. Never sell yourself short once you go off to college. Always participate in different activities and get along with everybody. Be a social butterfly. Have fun and not to be so stressed out over little things that aren't important. Also, when it come to playing softball at the college level, don't let anyone bring you down, always play with heart, and do the best you can. Push yourself as hard as you can and never give up.

Some things that I wished I had known before I came to Haskell Indian Nations University, is to always be prepared for anything.

I brag to my friends about how I am doing really good in all my classes. And how the softball team is doing during the season. And how I am proud of going to a Native School. So I can learn more about my culture.

Abby

There are many things I wish I knew in high school, that I know now. Over the last two years I have grown drastically as a person. One of the first things I would tell my high school self is to not fret about all of the little things, such as how I look, what people think about me, who I am going to hang out with this weekend and what we are going to do, etcetera. None of those things matter. After you step out of the high school doors for the last time, the past 12-13 years are all just a blur and a memory. It was a great part of my life and helped me become the person I am now, but that is all that it was a part of my life. I would remind myself that there is so much more in the world, and I will go to do and achieve much greater things in life. High school is a great time and is a much needed stepping stone, but it is only a stepping stone. Enjoy the moment to learn, grow and live.

Curtis

It is very wrapped around the whole sticking with the nativve ways and reminding people what heritage they are.

My classmates are just like me and i can relate to them all because we all have at least one thing in common with eachother.

If i could go back in time and tell myslef things about the whole college life i would say most important thing is to mentally prepare for what is coming. I would say to stay focused on the prize that awaits you at the end of all this. Even though it will get hard you just got to trust in people you know and to look towards your friends for help if need be. If you get up every morning and go to class no matter how u feel about the day, in the long run it is going to pay off. Make sure to do all your homework because if you do all the work plus go to class and do not miss a day you will get something special at the end of it. But at the end of it all i would just tell myself to have fun while you are there.

Noelani

I would have to say the worst thing about HINU is the food at the dining hall. We are a federally funded school therefore our budget is limited. Often the food that is served does not taste good. We often have the same menu every morning for breakfast, it includes eggs, hash browns, and sausage links. As a result many students spend a large portion of money eating off campus.

The most frustrating thing about HINU is pre-enrolling. They do not allow you to pre-enroll online. Instead you are required to pick up a orange pre-enrollment sheet from the registrars office and fill it out. You are also required to get your advisor to sign the pre-enrollment form. This task can be a pain because the "advisors" are also teachers with regular class schedules.

Peterson

My school is best known for is having a rich native american culture and we are the only school where all the students attending the university are native american.

I think the most important thing about being apart of Haskell indian nation university and the culture experience is getting a high education in order to start a living later on in life. I think school is important for the typical student in life because he or she will be the face of American. When the older people retire from jobs there will be a lot of openings and the jobs are looking for people that are reliable and are accountable to the job. When your reliable and accountable you can get any job you want because the people are looking for people they can trust with their company. This is what i been learning while here at school and i'm going to continue to become a better person in life.

I hate that there is not really that much social activities. when you wnat to do something everyone is usually out and a about with school or back home because they live a couple miles away. classes are to short and there needs to be more majoring classes to slect from.

• $480

Haskell Indian Nations University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.