Columbia, MD
Howard Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard Community College

Laura

Dont' be impatient. Learning where the comfiest study spots are, how to register for classes and which chemistry lab instructor to avoid at all costs takes time. It's not a race to feel at home, let yourself go at your own pace Get the grades you want regardless of the course instructor. You are guaranteed to have some professors you cannot stand. Go to class, do your work, and don't let their teaching style dictate what you achieve in that course. And find a tutor for goodness sake. The learning assistance center is there for a reason. Friends--don't worry about finding them, but do sign up for classes and activities you truly enjoy. It's in those places you will find people you connect with. Folders, folders, folders! Go to a summer school supply sale and buy at least twenty of them--and get colorful! Trust me, organizing the hundreds of papers you will receive into those folders will save your sanity! Finally, eat your fruits and vegetables and go to sleep before 2 am at least four times a week. Your body will thank you, and so will you in the long run.

I wish I had known the importance of developing relationships with my professors in order to receive letters of recommendations for transferring.

The worst thing about the school is students' lack of enthusiasm for learning and the lack of drive to receive good grades.

Josh

My overall opinion. I Like that everything is kept very clean and nice, the facilities as far as a community college go are quite nice, I like that many of the teachers here are pretty decent. There is a lot I'd like to change, but overall the school is okay, There are many opportunities to interact with faculty. This is community college so honestly, it's pretty underwhelming, and the number one thing I'd change is the smoking ban, I am a smoker, and many many of the students here smoke, and the smoking ban is an inconvenient pain. I do not like telling people I go to HCC but it could be worse, HCC is an academically sound school. I have yet to interact with any school administrators. And as far as controversies we're a pretty apathetic school when it comes to scandals, whatever else that makes university life interesting. HCC is dull and the food is not great, also the hours of the cafe are strange. The hours of the school in general are strange. Other than that the school is alright, the work load is about average.

Stereotypes of students at HCC are that of most students in Community College, no one has much money, this is pretty fair. The student body is largely apathetic, that is also true. There are many Stoners at HCC, that is also pretty true. There are a lot of lazy people at HCC that is not neccesarily true but still. HCC overall is an alright school.

Tanja

Dear High School Senior, please do not let challanges of life stop you, please do not let lack of money stop you to persue your dreams. Keep focused, have clear and realistic goals in life and keep on walking. No matter what do not give up.

Person with clear goals, focus, who wants to better her/himself and the community. Who loves learning and has clear vision in life.

Tano

Howard Community Colllege is a diverse campus that has a very strong, yet rigorous Nursing program.

If given the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, the conversation would be seemingly endless. The most enriching advice I would give myself would be to fill out tons of scholarship applications. After my first year in college, the expense of college quickly piled up. From books to labs fees, to general tuition, the cost of education is rising yearly. With that said, it is wise to apply for money to pay for an education by filling out applications. Although, my mother constantly bugged me about filling out scholarships, I routinely ignored her stating, ?I was on vacation?. Knowing what I know now, I would have advised myself to apply for at least two scholarship applications a week. I attended a workshop during the summer which informed me how to apply for scholarships. Through this workshop a meet a lady who financed her entire education with private scholarships. In turn this motivated me to do the same and follow in her footsteps.

People who should not attend this school are people who disrupt or interfere with the learning process of other students. Also, this includes people who threaten the safety and security of other students, faculty, and staff, as well as themselves. In addition, people who should not attend this school are those who do not see the importance of learning or following rules set in place by the superiors.

Ndola

Howard Community College is a place with limitless options and opportunities for students of all ages and backgrounds.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stay focused on my goals. College life provides many new experiences that will enrich my life. It is important, however, to make sure that those experiences do not deter me from accomplishing my objective: a degree. The best way to do this is to write down my goals, map out the steps that will be the plan to accomplish those goals, and re-evaluate my progress daily. I should align myself with three types of people: ones who have already accomplished what I am seeking to do; peers with similar goals as mine; and people whom I can help attain what I have already accomplished. The first group will serve as guides, mentoring me along my path. They can help me if I get off course. The second group serves as support, challenging me as we move forward together. The last group will serve as motivation, encouraging me to lead by example. It is important for students to focus on their goals. If I follow this advice, I will be sure to succeed in college.

The thing I like most about Howard Community College (HCC) is that is has many options for students. As a single parent with a teenager, I appreciate that HCC offers online, evening and weekend courses. They also have consortium agreements with other schools in the area so students do not have to wait for the next semester to take a class they really want or need. The options are endless and I encourage students to enroll at HCC. I have already convinced two friends to matriculate and we are well on our way to educational success.

Hanifah

Our campus is welcoming and diverse with different people from all over the world, different colors, and different syles.

Hanifah, college is not as hard as you think. I'm not going to lie, it is not as easy as high school but there are way too many helpful resources around campus to help with any issue that you may have. College is fun. You get to make your own schedule and choose the time of day you want to go to class. If you are a late sleeper, go to class in the afternoon or evening. If you are a morning person, take the early classes. Just make sure you register for your classes as early as possible to get the classes and times that you really want. Don't be afraid to ask questions in your classes; the professors really encourage this. Choose a field of study that you are really going to enjoy that way you won't get bored in your classes. Good luck!

The best things about my xhool are the abundance of computers and academic help. We have computers and computer labs all over campus. We can access the internet and write papers just about anywhere, even in the cafeteria. We also have plenty of tutors for every semester, event the winter and summer sessions.

Howard Community College is best known for its ability to cater to the community's educational needs. With classes offered days, evenings, weekends and even online, it is an ideal setting for both the working adult (like me) or those fresh out of high school. As a working adult, HCC allows me to continue pursuing my higher education at a pace that allows me to also continue to provide for my family. The younger adults who choose HCC are given a quality education, close to home and at a fraction of the cost of four-year state schools.

My transition to higher education was delayed by a number of years. As a result, I have found it easier to apply myself in school, but less comfortable in the classrooms themselves due to the differences in age and experience between myself and my classmates. I have also struggled to make a living without a college degree, and continue to struggle to support my family as I work towards achieving one. If I were to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to go to college right away. There have been many dreams I have had to put aside since then in the interest of survival. I may well appreciate my education better as an older student, but the struggles to get here could have been avoided. I would also advise myself to become immersed in the social aspects of college. I never got the chance to join a sorority or paticipate in campus activities, for by the time I got to school, I had a family to support. I would tell myself that these could be the best years of my life, if only I take that first step and enroll right away.

There are many wonderful things about HCC, but the one thing I would say needs improvement is in the area of facility maintenance. I have yet to arrive on campus and not see graffiti or trash littering the outside tables. Excessive litter invites vermin and increases the risk of infectious diseases and the graffiti adversely affects our image in the community. I can understand a little bit of trash; a forgotten cup or two, a cigarette butt, a candy wrapper . . . but the sheer quantity of garbarge and "tagging" that is consistently left about on campus really should be addressed.

Nick

Howard Community College (HCC) is known for a number of academics. HCC is an all around great community college choice if you dont quite know what you perfer to study. Or if you do know then then HCC is a great school to getr those unnecessary classes out of the way so once you transfer to your desired school, tuition wont burn holes in your pockets. I can't really tell you what HCC is best known since they're so attentative to every subject thought of. But if i had to choose, there music program is wonderful.

Throughout my whole high school career i dreaded it almost everday. the getting up early, the pointless tests, and pointless classes didn't make it any better. When junior and senior year rolled around, I started to pick up the slack and get my ass in gear. Besides, colleges don't look for failures. And if I could go back in time and talk to myself, knowing what I know now, I'd say,"HEY! Hurry up look for colleges before it's too late!"

Howard Community College doesn't really have a downfall that i know of or can think. As i said HCC is an all around great school.

Howard Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.