Columbia, MD
Howard Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard Community College

Tess

I would tell myself to keep in mind what my life could be like after college. After high school I decided to skip college and go straight into the working world. Though I was able to get a professional job as a Real Estate Appraiser and purchase my own house at 18, I was not satisfied with what I had accomplished. I was successful, but I was not happy. Having a job just to make money won't make you happy in the long run. College is the perfect (and maybe the only) opportunity to learn about something you are actually interested in so that when you graduate, you can work in a field that interests you. Knowing now that after graduation I can work in the field of alternative energy and have a positive impact on my environement I wish I had accepted college sooner. College is necessary for rounding out your education and making sure you achieve a goal you will want to work with the rest of your life.

I feel that people who are working full time should not attend this school. Though they do have a couple evening courses and online courses, they really do not cater to the working professional. They recently opened the Laurel College Center which was helpful, but it still is not enough. I took an evening math course and they tried to make the math final during the day until several people complained. This school is geared more towards full time students and those graduating high school and attending college.

The lack of early morning/evening and online/teleweb courses. I feel that Howard Community College has the technology to have more of these hybrid courses, yet they do not offer them. I feel that a lot of the courses I have taken here could have been offered online and I would have gotten just as much out of them as I did having to go into the campus. It is rather frustrating and discouraging for someone with a full time job to attend this college - it makes a college education seem impossible.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time the advice I would give myself would be to take all my classes seriously. The most important advice is to focus on time management and being organized. In college you're on your own and have to take control of your own life. If you don't manage your time, you'll be cramming big time during midterm and finals weeks. NOT fun!!! Also make sure you pick the school that is right for you. Tour many schools before you decide where to attend. If possible arrange a day or two to shadow someone and get a true feeling for the campus. Don?t settle for anything less, shoot for the stars and follow your dreams by choosing the career path that you will actually enjoy doing every day.

The best thing that Howard Community Colleges offers is the opportunity to continue your education in a very diverse setting that allows success for everyone that attends. HCC has programs for both the gifted as well as those students like myself who need the extra help. They offer tutoring programs and honors classes. Along with the academic part of the college they also offer many extra curricular programs such as music, dance, sports, and theater. HCC is located in a central location that allows students to commute from all areas within the state of Maryland.

Howard Community College is a college that accepts all types of people. I believe that anyone who has the drive to continue their eucation would be a good candidate to attend this college. The student will have a great diveristy of classes to choose from as well as great diversity of college peers to interact with. The college offers resources for those students that need the extra help as well as offers honors classes for those students who prefer to challenge themselves. With all this in mind I believe that any kind of student can attend Howard Community College.

Kathleen

Howard Community College provides great classes for vairous majors. Even if you just take general education classes you can still get a great experience and they help prepare you for transferring very well. The campus is beautiful and easy to navigate, and there are always fun activities going on.

If I knew in high school what I know now, I would have agreed to going to community college prior to transferring. When I was a senior I wanted to go to a 4-year university, but my parents insisted I attend HCC. Even though I got excepted to their honors program, I thought that the classes would not be too challenging or that there would not be a lot to do around campus. I would tell myself that I was wrong. There is plenty to do and it is a great place to meet people who are in the same situation as yourself. The classes are actually very challenging but the teachers help you a lot more than they would have in a 4-year school with lectures of students in the hundreds. I learned that the transition is easier to a community college as I have seen many people who went off to 4-year schools right away and have found themselves in sticky situations not knowing how to handle partying and studying. I would tell myself I made a good choice in taking a small step first before the big one next year.

The best thing about HCC is how small the classes are. This allows teachers to actually get to know you and help you succeed in your studies. There are no 100 people lectures with teacher's aides teaching you more. They are always willing to meet with you outside of class and make sure you get the extra help that you need.

My class mates are a mixture of those who care about school and want to work hard and those who only come to get the degree, I have been inspired by students who love school and use the resources they have to make their education the best possible experience.

Howard Community College is known for really caring about its students. There are many activities for the students to participate in, such as clubs and student hosted events. Also, most of the faculty is known for wanting to make sure the students succeed.

Being a perfectionist, I would tell myself that I need to take a second, breathe in and out, pray, sleep, and relax. Yes, school is about working hard and doing the best job you can do. However, getting a college education is ultimately for your benefit. It is not worth it to spend all of your time stressing out about applying for college. Enjoy the transition. Use your time as a senior to take some time to reflect on how much you've accomplished and how much you will accomplish in your college education. After all, school is more about being faithful to do well than to be a perfectionist.

Aaron

The advice i would give myself would be to always stay focus on your school work and try to aim higher than B's. I also would get as much help as i could. Make sure i study for evey test or quiz. It's much more work then you have to do then in high school. It's more on your own when it comes to some of the classwork that you are doing. I would tell myself to not give up on work saying, " I can't do this", but telling myself i can do this work to boast my confidence to being successful in school. One of the most important thing to tell myself is to always do homework and essay's when you get them because sometimes when you don't have enough time to do them, the harder it is to try and complete them in the smaller time before it is due.

A person that is on the board to geting an education is being successful and trying to improve oneselve to being an educated person. It's a lot of people that like to go to school because they know that an education can help better their ife's and some want to be that first person in their family to graduate from college to have a degree. People attend college to better their education because they want to be more educated.

A type of person that shouldn't attend this school is a person that is not dedicated to going to school. A person that doesn't feel as thou education is apart of success in the real world. Some people don't have the drive to go to school because they think it is a waste of their time and money. Their ar e people that just want to come to school to play sports, but don't want go to class and get an education.

Howard Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.