Bloomington, IL
Illinois Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Wesleyan University

Noah

Illinois Wesleyan is a great college. The faculty is very knowledgeable and close with students. Students are kept in the loop about all extracurricular events, from concerts to sports performances. The president of the university is in constant contact with students, sending emails and even eating lunch with random groups of students. The student body is quite diverse, coming from many different backgrounds. The largest group of the student body are middle class white people from the suburbs of Chicago, but many other financial and geographical backgrounds are to be found.

Ryan

My classmates, being a theater major, are energetic and strong in their studies, and also balance their academic lives with f...

My classmates, being a theater major, are energetic and strong in their studies, and also balance their academic lives with fun.

I guess the thing that I would tell my high school self is that life takes its own path and sometimes you just have to go with it. I would say, "Just because you're going to graduate second in your class and have a 4.5 GPA, don't live for other people's expectations of your future. Live for yourself and pursue your passion. If you love theater, do theater. Don't think that just because of your high school career you have to become a doctor or an engineer. Don't spend your life doing something that you hate. Do something you love and go with the flow in life. Also, you cannot get through life without other people. You may at times feel like you're a super hero, but don't be afraid to have a sidekick, or multiple. They sometimes know more than you do about yourself. Just be you and be proud of it. Rely on God. Make smart decisions, and tell the people you're closest to that you love them everyday. Being away from home won't be easy, but a simple "I love you" may help you through the day."

To me, the person that should attend this school is someone who is looking for not a small or a large school. It's just right. It's also in a great, lively college town and the school itself offers many different options. It allows you to change to what ever you may be looking for if you switch majors and still offers a great program.

Alexandra

Like I mentioned above, most students at Illinois Wesleyan University are academically-motivated.

If I were to give myself advice as a high school senior, I would definitely remind myself to not be afraid to get involved. I would encourage myself to join as many clubs as possible. I would also remind myself to meet new people. Everyone is new to the same sitation--so don't feel awkward to say 'hi' to someone new. I would advise myself to never assume that college professers give assignment extentions and to take into careful consideration what your first-year adviser advises! Lastly, I would encourage to be myself, have fun, but never forget where I came from.

The student involvement on campus is superb and the environment centered around school spirit is excellent. Volunteering is plentiful and most students are academically-motivated. Everyone that attends Illinois Wesleyan University wants to succeed!

Angelina

If I were to go back to my high school senior self I would tell myself to join more clubs, volunteer more, take the SATs seriously, go straight to college. Everything I did not do…at all.

Students that know what they are going to school for because its expensive. The whole school staff was very helpful and hold your hand the whole way.

Cortney

Our school is a community in itself. We have banded together in a recent time of need and tragedy. We are friends with eachother and support even those on campus we have never met before.

Don't be afraid to lose relationships at home and build new ones at IWU.

The registration process is very chaotic.

The biggest thing I have noticed throughout my college life is how close-minded I have been throughout high-school and my childhood. I had grown up in a wealthy community where my problems at home or school paled in comparision to those of my friends I have made at Illinois Wesleyan. This "Bubble" I had grown up in had sculpted me into a judmental individual and limited my perspective. I would tell my high school self to be more patient and understanding with people you come across on a day to day basis. While it may be easy to be quick to judge and criticize somebody, it is much harder to take the time to get to know somebody and understand the problems they must deal with daily. Therefore, the most important thing I would tell my high school self is to be more understanding and slow to judgment. Through this process, I would be able to enter college already familiar with this concept and broaden my horizons rapidly.

I wish I knew how big of a financial commitment it is to attend a university. I was aware of how much money college costs but I did not realize how rapidly savings could disapear. Essentially, my life-savings paid for merely 1 semester of college even with a loan and scholarship aid from Illinois Wesleyan. It has become a huge financial commitment for my parents and I am sure I will graduate with a lot of debt to my name. Granted, this is the reality of college now but I just wish that I had realized it sooner.

I think that a driven individual should attend this school. A student that lacks self-motivation and a desire to learn will struggle at this institution. However, somebody who has a thirst for knowledge will thrive in this community. A person that is ok with a smaller school and hands-on learning would love it here because there is such a high amount of interaction between faculty and students. An indivual who is looking to land a great job out of college should attend IWU because that is the goal of the university.

Most of my classmates are from a white, middle class background but open to other ideals and lifestyles.

So far the biggest thing I have taken from my school is just the fact that I need to open my mind and take in many other view points. Before I attended this school, I had my life planned out and it is because of this school and the classes at the school that I stopped and reconsidered my goals and my plans. I am finding myself at this school, which is something I think is important of a college career. My school has so many programs and staff members that have really helped me and many other students on campus. It is what I always dreamed college would be and should be like.

I think this school will fit any personality or belief type, but realistically it is an expensive school and students who do not have a well financial background will have difficulties and that could make there experience stressfull.

Bradley

I have learned the value of a true education, an education that both promotes growth and challenges the individual. I have found the value of self-questioning and introspection. The truly amazing part of my college experience at Illinois Wesleyan University happened when this self-questioning and introspection was combined with the learning of new materials. The result was a sort of personal growth both myself and my peers could see- a change for something much better. I went to college very secure in who I was as a person, and I am here now, a new man with a new direction. It feels great, and it feels like the beginning of tomorrow. Thank you Illinois Wesleyan University, and in particular, Dr. James Sikora.

Anyone who isnt prepared to work hard, engage socially with both students and professors, and anyone who wants to act without common courtesy and respect for both their fellow man, their campus, and their environment.

The food choices could be a little bit better. The scope of dining is a little limited, and the meal plans leave a lot of versatility to be desired.

Illinois Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.