Bloomington, IL
Illinois Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Wesleyan University

Lindsay

My classmates help to support, motivate, and challenge me in all areas of my studies here at Illinois Wesleyan University.

Illinois Wesleyan University is unique in many ways. We have rigorous academic classes that will challenge you to learn and apply all that you discover in and out of class. The professors here go above and beyond by making a point to know you personally and to help you succeed in every way possible. Our athletics teams are top notch and minimally interfere with scholastic agendas. Opportunities for tutoring, study abroad, internships, jobs and more are readily avaliable. We have over 170 clubs and offer volunteer opportunities in and around the community. Be a Titan, be yourself, at Illinois Wesleyan.

Advice that I would give myself, and any high school senior, would be: manage your time well. There are so many opportunities to join clubs, sports teams, participate in Greek life that soon you will be overbooked and have no time to relax or do homework. Getting adequate sleep is so important. There will be friends and other situations that will entice you to stay up late or in the case of homework or tests, pull all nighters but it is not worth it. Managing your time effectively is key to a happy, balanced, less stressful college transition.

Madeline

A small liberal arts community with a beautiful campus and a variety of people to meet.

A trip back in time to talk to my senior-self, would be an opportunity I would never pass up! If I could talk to the second-semester- senior Maddie, I would tell her not to get used to the senioritis plague and slack-off attitude because college is a whole new ball game! I'd want to warn myself of the hours and hours of stuyding I would be doing and start mentally preparing myself as early as possible. Having already experienced one semester of college, I would tell myself "good job" on having an open attitude towards meeting many new people and getting involved in lots of things I would have never dreamed of! I would give myself a pat on the back for nurturing this openness senior year when I made many new friends, a little late in the game, but it was all still worth it. Now that I have an idea of what college is about I know that there are a few things I could have changed in myself senior year to prepare myself for now, but I am also pleasantly surprised at some of the success I have encountered thanks to senior-me.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the meal plan. We only have one cafeteria on the campus and the food choices are very very limited. I also try to eat healthy and they never have very many healthy options which is very frustrating. The one thing that frustrates me the most is how we cannot meal exchange on the weekends at some of our on campus "restaurants". The food in the cafeteria on the weekends is especially bad and because I can't meal exchange somewhere else, I have to spend money that i should be saving.

Nick

Illinois Wesleyan is a small and academically challenging university that makes you work hard but has plenty of opportunities for fun.

My classmates range from the wealthy children of Chicago's nicer areas to the small town kids I grew up near.

Nick, I know you have no idea what the next four years of your life will be like. Will I have friends? Can I afford college? I know, because I've experienced college life firsthand. Don't be too set in our ways, you will be exposed to kids from the city that have never heard of the FFA, kids that listen to different music, and kids that have never seen snow. However, they're just as scared as you are. Of course they all have the same questions, and once you realise that you can start learning more about them and yourself. The classes will take more work, the food won't taste as good as Mom's, the new world you're about to see is scary at first. However, when I come back from class every day I can set my books down and smile. This is my second home, this is my future, and I'm ready to experience the next act in the play of life.

Kiara

Illinois Wesleyan University is a school dedicated to making sure that their students receive an advanced level of higher education and promoting diversity among their students.

If I could somehow go back in time and advise myself as a high school senior, the most important advice I would give myself is to enhance my study habits. In high school. it is not uncommon that many students slack off when it comes to studying. Many students "cram" or simply fail to study at all. However, this type of habit will surely hurt you in college, especially your first year. College level work is very time consuming and rigorous. It is wise to study a little material from each of your classes everyday while in your last year of high school so that you can prepare yourself for college level work. In college, there is a lot more reading and outside homework that has to be completed in order to excel in your classes. If you read a little or study a little material each day while still in high school, you will not have to worry about being frustrated when your first forty page reading assignment or college level test is announced. Practicing healthy study habits in high school is the best way to excel in college.

The best thing about my school is that they do alot to make sure that diversity is spread throughout the entire University. Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) offers several foreign languages such as French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Italian. Also, IWU requires that ALL of their students take a foreign language course in order to be familiar with other cultures. IWU has a wonderful International Studies Program for International Studies majors. These students must spend a semester abroad in order to increase their knowledge of other cultures. languages, and globalism.

Alexandria

Go out and meeting people. Spend less time in your room and more time with friends. Do your homework. Do your homework sooner, rather than later. Just because the cafeteria is buffet-style does not mean that you need to eat everything. Smile more. Worry less. Don't be so afraid.

I love the people I have met since coming here. When I first arrived on campus I knew absolutely nobody, and now I've made so many amazing friends. Since IWU is a small school, and almost everybody knows almost everybody else, it is nice to see a friendly face almost everywhere. I know that I have made friends for life here. The faculty is very personable as well, they really care about your success, and will work with you to make sure you succeed. I generally struggle with approaching people, especially professors, but the teachers here make it easy.

You really see a great mix of people on this campus. IWU has a very strong liberal arts program and very strong theatre, music, and performing arts programs. Greek life is strong without being overpowering. There are many, many student organizations for people of any interest. Any student can find something to fit their interests and talents here. It is a small school, which commands a certain atmosphere; some people say we live in a bubble. There is a definite sense of "everybody knowing everybody." But if you can handle that, IWU is a truly great school.

This is a fresh start so take advantage of it, and don't try to change who you are to fit in. Just be you. Also, don't let things at home hold you back.

How challenging and time consuming my music educaiton program would really be.

People who aren't willing to work hard for what they want. And People who don't have good time management skills.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things in preparation for the transition into college life. I would tell myself that although the transition may be intimidating, the opportunities that arise from attending college are invaluable. The friendships and learning opportunities available in college are what shapes a person to be who they are once they enter the "real world." I would also remind myself to be prepared for the workload that comes with college, and although that also can seem intimidating, the rewards that come from hard work are irreplaceable. Keeping an open mind would be best, as well, seeing as you're immersed into an environment filled with diversity and people who will express themselves and find themselves on their own terms, just as you're able to do once you begin your schooling experience.

Those that would be opposed to going to a liberal school should be weary of attending Illinois Wesleyan.

The most frustrating thing about Illinois Wesleyan University is the cost of the school. Tuition runs over$40,000 / year, and a lot of students have trouble receiving financial aid in order to pay for school.

Marli

Illinois Wesleyan University is a comfortable and friendly environment mostly made up of students from the midwest, in particular Illinois, that emphasizes personal development through a wide range of extra-curricular activities and challenging academics.

If I could go back in time and talk with myself about college life and the transition between living at home and moving away to school, I would reassure myself that college would work out wonderfully if I worked hard to keep everything in moderation. My best advice would be to get involved in campus life and get to know professors right away because they are much more important than local parties. Going out and socializing is a critical aspect of college, but in retrospect what I treasure most were the classes I attended. My memories of Illinois Wesleyan are marked by the challenging pursuit to further my understanding of the humanities and the arts. I learned to be a critical thinker and examine all provided information before making a decision. Before entering college, I was worried about not feeling enough like an adult. I was pleasantly surprised by my personal and intellectual growth over my four years at Illinois Wesleyan. My fears about being inadequate and unadult were conquered one at a time as I matured, faced adult decisions, and developed a strong work ethic. College is a personal adventure and a privilege one should not take for granted!

The kind of person that should attend this university is one looking for a small, challenging school in a somewhat quiet and uneventful Midwestern city.

alyson

My classmates have many different personalities.

My classmates have many different personalities.

First and foremost, know yourself. If you know yourself, you will be better able to make the decisions that are the best for you. Knowing who you is a big part of finding the right school for you. There are a lot of things to think about when choosing a university like student population, size of the campus, academics, faculty, and so on. If you know what's right for you, then it makes choosing a college a little bit easier and a little less overwhelming. Another important thing about the college search process is make sure that you are in constant communication with someone that you trust, whether it be a parent, or a counselor, or a friend. That way, you have someone in your corner to help you make tough decisions about choosing your school.

Natalie

To parents and students, it is important to remember that there is more than one "right" college out there for each person. If you have done your research, visited the schools, and narrowed it down to 2 or 3 schools, chances are, you will be very happy at whichever one you pick. You will hear a lot of people tell you that college is really great, and some of the best years of your life. That is certainly true, but you have to make the effort to make college the best years of your life. Get to know people early on! If your school does not have an orenitation for incoming students, put yourself out there and walk around your dorm meeting people. Talk to the people that sit beside you in class. One of my biggest regrets is being too shy during my first couple of weeks or freshmen year. Meet people, find an activity you love to do, and let loose a little; it is ok to be a little crazy. Finally, go to class! It is so much easier to keep up with the material if you just get out of bed, and make an appearance.

I think the worst thing about my school was that I was told that class format would be different from other schools because of the small class size. There definitely was small class sizes, but most of my classes were the same format; lecture and occassional disscussion, and we rarely did anything out of the ordinary.

It is a much harder school to get into than a lot of state schools. They claim that the classes and workload is much harder at Illinois Wesleyan, and yet not much consideration is given to the fact that I graduated from Illinois Wesleyan as opposed to a state school, or an academically easier school.

Illinois Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.