North Andover, MA
Merrimack College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Merrimack College

jeffery

Wonderful school, excellent faculty but my parent can not pay all the tuition with all the merit scholarship , financial aid award and the loans I still have to pay over thirty thousand per year ,am look for help to be able to complete my electric eng. course thanks

Alyssa

Merrimack College is my home away from home.

Merrimack College is my home away from home.

The advice to high school Alyssa, is to get involved on campus. Your happiness and life starts once you get out of your comfort zone. Getting involved teaches you communication, team work, leadership, dedication, and pride. Being involved in something on campus creates a passion for something you love, whether it's a sport, greek life, club, job, or volunteer work. No matter what you get involved in, it will bring you instant satification and self gratification. In college you find the friends who are going to be there for life, you find your best friends and you learn who you are with these people. It is time to stop being shy or comfortable with where you are in life and get involved into something you were always curious about or never thought you'd join! What do you have to lose? Life is so much fun when you are part of something bigger than yourself; you belong to something with a group of people who have that same passion and interests as you. You create bonds with others and the transition of high school to college almost seems effortless. You wil not regret it, I promise.

This school is all about involvement, spirit, and academics. We work really hard at this school, and someone who isn't a hard worker or someone who just wants to come to class and go home without socializing should not come here. We know how to balance work and our social lives. Every student here is working all week long to get the straight As that they want, and when we have down time, we all come together as a college to enjoy the community and family we've created with each other.

Jenna

I would have told myself to start looking at colleges sooner. I probably would have taken a few different electives in high school if I had the option so that I could find out what I really liked to give me an idea of what to major in. I love my major, but I didn't know that is was what I wanted to do at first. Also, I would have picked an out-of-state school and lived away so that I could get the independent feeling of living on my own. I definitely would have scoped out the extracurricular activities and clubs that different schools offer. I am very uninvolved in college right now and I really wish I had found a school that had clubs that interested me--maybe a school that is not religious and has a larger gay community. I think I would have felt more comfortable and felt that I fit in a bit better. Maybe graduate school can be my second chance at everything I wish I had done.

Community--small school; get to know students well; forced group projects are opportunities to make friends especially if you do not live on campus

It's a school for anyone really, unless you want to go for Nursing because we don't have that

Jane

In just one semester at Merrimack College, I gained a tremendous amount of freedom and academic responsibility, which allowed for a lot of personal growth. If I could recommend anything to my high school self based on these changes, it would be to better prepare myself academically so that the intensity of college courses won’t shock me as much. Having taken rigorous courses my senior year and having balanced those classes with extracurriculars and other responsibilities would have eased my transition to college level courses. More importantly, I would advise my high school self to not take the comforts of my home and my parent’s care for granted. What I didn’t realize my senior year of high school was that it was my last year of having the luxuries of home cooked meals and hugs from my parents whenever I needed them, which both became less easily available once I moved onto campus. Finally, I would tell my younger self to not fret over high school drama because petty fights and cliquey crowds thrive from immaturity and, fortunately enough, in college, there is a whole new level of maturity and respect that classmates have for each other.

The worst part about Merrimack is the lack of local, cultural opportunities. Merrimack has a beautiful campus, but it is extremely small and undiversified. While it is about a half hour from the city of Boston, Merrimack is not in a college town or an urban area at that. For freshmen and some sophomores, it's difficult to get transportation off campus, and even if one has that opportunity, North Andover is not a college friendly town, so one would have to travel a bit to find exciting, educational, and cultural opportunities.

A student who wants to live in a cultured, urban environment should not attend Merrimack College, nor is Merrimack ideal for students who prefer large class sizes in which attendance rarely counts for anything.

Merrimack College is a Catholic school which I find unique becuase they require the students to take two religion courses during their time at Merrimack. I think that by choosing from a variety of religion courses to take and taking those classes truly shows a new and different side to viewing life for the student. Merrimack also allows students to subsitute a class with an internship which is unique because not only is it accredited but it allows the student to further learn and explore a potential career of their choice.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to not declare a major and take liberal arts classes. I was unsure as to where I wanted to go to college and what degree I wanted to persue. I switched from being a business major to a communication major as business did not suit my interests. By being undeclared, I can take classes in every major and determine which interests me most. I can then declare a major versus beginning with a major I am uncertain about. I would also advise myself to look at schools with internships because not only do internships give experience in that industry, but they also can open up a job opportunity for the future. Finally, I would advise myself to visit a variety of different sized schools in different locations. Furthermore, I would adivse myself to sit-in on a class or stay over with a friend at that college. Doing so would give me a better understanding of the school and classes, and what it would be like in be in a large or small school in a rural or urban location.

Students that like to choose from a variety of classes as well as enjoy having smaller classes in order for the professor to individually know each of their students should attend Merrimack. It is not necessary to be religious to attend this college, but students that are willing to take two religion classes and further expand their knowledge on religion should attend Merrimack. Finally, students who like to have activities on their campus as well as school spirit with various clubs and sports should attend Merrimack. One looking for a well-rounded education inside and outside the classroom should attend.

Marie

When my grandmother fell gravely ill during my first semester in college, I made the decision to take some time off, move to her city, and take care of her. Unfortunately, she passed away, but it took almost two years of a indescribable misery for the horrible degenerative disease to eventually claim her life. I started taking some classes, but her surviving husband became unable to care for himself. Both he and I moved back in with my parents, and I took another two semesters off in order to care for him. Nursing both grandparents taught me a lot about humility, compassion, and understanding, and I would make the same decision a hundred times over. If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would encourage me to take even one class a semester while I was with my grandparents. With each year, it got harder to go back. I know they would be proud I'm in school now, but prouder, I'm sure, if I were finished already. I got married this past October and had every excuse to defer one more semester - but I learned my lesson. I'm in until I'm done!

I love Merrimack. There is so much to enjoy. The campus is beautiful, the teachers (for the most part) are fair and require hard work and dedication. The students enrolled are proud to be so. The school itself is relatively small, which results in smaller class sizes. The proximity to my home seals the deal.

My only complaint in three semesters of Merrimack would be the course selection availability. My second major is Philosophy, and due to many professors not being there for the spring, there were only five courses from which I could create my schedule. Unfortunately, now my job hours have to be juggled, and it is a big to-do to get things in order.

dominic

The only advice that I would have give myself is to start back to school earlier. Being a nontraditional student is exciting and provides many life experiences to draw from but finishing my degree is taking longer than expected.

The worse thing about Merrimack College is the Financial Aid Office, they are not very helpful and it takes a long time to straighten out your financial aid information with them adding to the stress of college and finances.

This school is for an individual that is open minded and willing to look into themselves during their education not only to learn academically but also spiritually. This college is a catholic college and there are required religion courses that will surprise you and open your mind to the why certain religions think the way that they do and they are not really very different.

Marquetta

College is the most valuable experience that a person can have. Students can go to strive for their dreams or even undergo reality that can soak in and change their career goals. My major is elementary education. I enjoy teaching and working with students. The Education program has allowed me to gain experience. I am learning about techniques on how to improve communication with both students and parents, and techniques on how to maintain a child’s focus in the classroom. College has also provided me with an active social life. My first year in college, I was a member of Students in Financial Enterprise (SIFE) where we created presentations based on segments of the business field to a children’s learning center. Currently, I have joined Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society and in the process of joining Future Educators of America (FEA). As a student in college, you must always remember to network. The major key of networking is to join organizations, but do not take on more than you can handle. Do not let your workload become overwhelming whereas you begin slipping on your own coursework. These are some essentials that were beneficial to me in college.

Merrimack College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.