Olympic College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Olympic College

Ana Marie

As a high school student attending in their high school program full time, I feel that Olympic College does a wonderful job of making everyone feel welcome and in providing resources for everyone to succeed. I have taken six classes in a span of two quarters and each of those classes has taught me useful lessons in their subjects and lessons in life. I feel support from all of the teachers I have encountered at the college, and I do not feel the need to be afraid of asking for their assistance. Olympic College also has a variety of events that occur almost daily within the campus that students can be involved with. Overall, I feel that Olympic College is a great school and I am glad that I have the opportunity to attend class here.

Cheyenne

Olympic College is a great community college to do your prerequisites or to get a general degree. I have been attending Olympic College for a year now and have some amazing professors help me on my journey towards University.

Jenna

I think OC is a pretty good college considering it's a community college. The only problem I have really encountered with this school is parking and having trouble with transferring credits from a different college. But other than that, the professors I have had so far are very nice. In fact, each one of them have been helpful when I don't understand what's going on and are very good about getting grades in quickly so there's no stress over homework or tests.

Olympic college was a great school to attend. I enjoyed both of the years there. All of the teachers there were insightful, and they all wanted you to succeed. The school didn't have very many extracurricular activities, except for sport events you could attend. I would recommend anyone who wants to go to a good two year college should attend Olympic College.

Skyler

Olympic College (Bremerton Campus) is a very nice, architecturally beautiful campus. While not as visually-pleasing as University of Washington (we don't have buildings that look like castles), the aesthetic is still very modern and pleasing. Students are very active, the area is maintained well and groundskeepers are implemented daily. The students are very intelligent and mostly seem to be focused on the courses and actual education, rather than being focused on each other. They tend to be well-behaved, althougth there are always going to be a few oddballs and class-clowns. The security presence is acceptable. It's not so high that a student would feel constantly watched, but it's high enough to provide an aura of safety, along with the vast network of support provided by teachers and other students. The professors tend to make themselves available as often as they can, and they do a good job of it. While I am sure there are teachers who won't allow you to enter their classroom (outside of the scheduled time, of course) and ask questions, I have yet to meet one. Every teacher has at least an hour or two a day to which they dedicate sitting in their offices for the sole purpose of being available to students. The food on campus is decent. Don't expect a "fancy 5-star restaurant" dining experience, but the food served is typically fresh and commoner-food (pizza, fish and chips, salads, sandwiches, chips, et cetera).

I have learned heaps at OC and met wonderful people there too. I am in their Running Start program. I have had so many opportunities there from volunteering to being a paid teachers assistant. I have been able to better myself as a student interacting with people of all ages and different backgrounds.

David

Olympic College is overall; to me, a great school for educational purposes and that professors are there to teach you the subject you are enrolled under. Professors were hired from strict board members under rigorous standards for the school. The student body within the campus is great and that I would love to recommend this community college to my friends back at my hometown.

Adrianna

Overall, I love it at Olympic College. The teachers are wonderful, and understanding about a lot of things for the most part. The resources are great, plus their is a lot of them. I personally love how I actually have a faculty support system, which I absolutely think is great.

Tina

Excellent school. A bit difficult for a new student returning to school as an older adult, not knowing the process. Room for improvement there. Very active student government. Wonderful Professors. On campus sports and fitness, awesome library, open, beautiful campus. Financial aid and Admissions Advisers, are very kind and helpful!

Shannon

Love the school. Everyone there is very supportive and wants you to succeed. All of the counselors and advisors I've seen have always been able to help me out with advise and they always encourage me to continue on and finish my degree. There are a few programs at this school that help you find a job immediately after graduating. Their focus is to have you succeed and become successful in whatever you want to achieve.

A great school for students who are going to transfer, or students who are just starting. It's very affordable, and relatively safe. Very diverse and celebrates that diversity. A perfect school to go to if you can't go to school full time. I think one of the things that I love the most about it is that after going, I feel like I've seen a bit more of the world, and I feel less scared about going to a university.

Kimberly

It’s a great school, for being a community college. It offers partnership with 4 year universities to allow us locals to pursue a 4 year degree at the same place. I have been unenrolled for over 7 years, and it has had upgrades looking left and right.

People here are just around for class, nothing else. Community College is a nice way to save money or get a fresh start, but don't expect a traditional college experience. The quality of class is super dependent on the professor. There's not a ton of scheduling options, like you would have at a big university, but definitely enough option to make what you need work. Often there is only one professor for each subject. Still a great way to get some gen eds out of the way before transferring to a university. The one exception is the nursing program, which i have only heard good things about.

Aly

Olympic College is a very, warm-welcoming community college. It may be in a small, not very well-known town called Bremerton, but don't be turned down. There are plenty of fast-food restaurants, oriental restaurants, and even a newly, designed outlet called The Trails. Other than that, Olympic College consists of dedicated students and teachers and staff who are willing to help others and are friendly.

I have attended O.C. both directly after graduating high school, and after many years in the work force. I am very happy with what this community college has to offer. Currently, it's undergoing construction work to update its aged buildings and placing a parking lot in a more convenient area. The buildings offer free wifi for those with chrome books, and they have various different open computer labs for those who don't have laptops. These are high end computers as well that are capable at handling high-level engineering programs as well. Their classrooms are very neat and clean - there's not too much stimulation along the walls, and the teachers keep their personalized items at a minimum because it's an environment to learn and be uncomfortable in. The subjects are divided into different buildings - an english building, a math building, etc; each with a help desk area for those who are lost or need help. I never feel lost or confused because I can not only ask the properly staffed workers, but the professors have an open door policy. Each professor has their own office, and you may schedule a meeting with them anytime (as long as you look at their posted schedule when available). In addition to that, they offer study sessions outside of the classroom times for those who want extra help in a concept. I have not felt shut down by the professors at all. Of course, there's the times when you just have a flat out bad professor that doesn't understand human behavior and is socially awkward - but you've got to realize these people are being paid to be teachers because they have masters in these subjects, not because they're socially compatible. I enjoy the atmosphere here more than universities because at times, you can even develop a comfortable teacher-student relationship. You're over in Seattle at UW and your teacher doesn't even know you're in their class. Yes, those classes can have hundreds of students, but that's just not my forte. I prefer a traditional high-school sized classroom, which is exactly what O.C. has to offer. There's countless resources, to continue my previous thought. They have a giant 3-story library with various different study areas. Essentially every little nook or corner in each building is equipped with chairs and tables for students to study. I also enjoy how they set up the buildings so you can socialize with others if you want, but it's not designed to be a hangout. The atmosphere remains to be productive and focused. Now, they have a student store and a cafeteria in a different building, and you are more than welcome to be loud there. I would have to say, however, you need to be prepared for immaturity and unfocused souls there. This school allows "running start" students, meaning those in 11th or 12th grade in high school receive free college to attend O.C. And as I have noticed, they either take it very seriously, or don't at all. You'll be able to tell the difference when you listen to how pointless and bland certain conversations are about what so-and-so was doing last night drinking what, versus what their opinions are on climate change or Trump being in office. Still, this community college doesn't offer living on campus, so O.C. doesn't really see that side of things. It doesn't embrace the partying culture - of which I am happy about. There's no sororities, but they do offer clubs and you are able to create your own. There's not a huge cliquey empire, because the age gaps from 17 to 80. You might experience that when talking to those who are on O.C. football team, because typically those who are there for athletics don't take their education as serious. Overall, I really do enjoy my experience at Olympic College. I could rant endlessly, but all good things. It is expanding it's education and connection to other programs as well, not just offering nursing programs anymore. It's working to offer more bachelor's programs instead of just transferrable degrees. Who wants to pay over 5 grand for a quarter at a University when you can pay less than $1,500 at a community college and recieve the same (if not better) education?

aireana

Overall Olympic college is a great school, but there isn't a whole lot of activities going on on campus. The art department is small almost too small for all the students. Also, there is not a lot of degree options which sucks for people like me who live in Bremerton there are no other colleges around here to go to. other than that Olympic college is a great school and very open nice professors.

Leta

I will miss this college with all my heart since I'm graduating this quarter. My teachers were amazing. They are here to help student's in need of any kind of help. They adjust assignments or tasks according to the situation, if you keep communication. There are many recourses that help with financial or other struggles. This school is very community success based. I have made many friends and role models that I will treasure for the rest of my life. I have over come many assignment struggles, hard work, and life barriers. The classes were fun, challenging, and worth every bit of knowledge. It will be hard saying goodbye but I am very proud of my accomplishments.

Madeline

I love this college. It is very safe, and there are some of the kindest and most helpful teachers you will ever meet at this school.

Daisey

Olympic College is a great place to start off. The professors are very gracious with students for the most part and they want to see you succeed. The classes are nice, the views around are nice, and the students are nice as well! I would highly recommend Olympic College if you’re looking for somewhere to start off at.

devyn

I really enjoy the school. There are lots of Running Start students, meaning that the median age of the school may be a bit lower than regular university, however all the students are very academic and mature. I have enjoyed all of my teachers so far, as they are very flexible, understanding, etc. They have 3 campuses which offer a variety of classes, most being held in Bremerton, but a lot being held in Poulsbo as well.

The academics and the teachers themselves are great for the most part, I played on the softball team for OC which was also a great experience but the school could use some upgrades. The entire campus feels somewhat old/historic. They just put in a new science and tech building which I have not seen. The gym and yoga room that doubled as the softball and baseball hitting room needs a lot of work. Our softball field was beautiful, right on the water! Other teams would come to our home field and take their team pictures because the scenery was so pretty! I also LOVE the sports director Barry!!

Marietta

While Olympic College has many interesting classes and helpful professors, overall, the college is mediocre. The classes are not very challenging. Most students do not know each other very well, partially because the majority live off-campus. The area around the Bremerton campus is not very safe or interesting, but the area around the Poulsbo campus is great. However, the facilities are nice, the class size is normally between two and three dozen, the food is good (though terribly overpriced), and there is a large variety of classes students can take to pursue their interests.

Gregory

My overall opinion of Olympic College is that it is a great institution that strives beyond its station. As a community college, there is more opportunities an expression of higher learning going on there than the standard. Olympic College puts effort into itself and its students beyond the cost of tuition.

Caleb

I really enjoy Olympic College and recommend it to anyone who has graduated from high school and has a fair idea of what they want to major in. I think it would be really wise to check it out, as public colleges are less expensive than universities and it's a good starting point be if you want to pursue a career in Engineering or Culinary Arts.

Alexandra

Overall, Olympic College is an amazing community college and a great place for young freshman to learn about campus life. Advisors and professors are readily available, and students can be found all over playing games, studying, or hanging out. I’ve enjoyed my two years here and would highly recommend it.

Melanie-Anne

Olympic College gave me an emotional home as I learned what college education was like. The staff members are fairly friendly and the environment is more about learning than anything else. I've never had a true sense of community before Olympic College, but now I feel sad to leave it when I graduate. I feel happy overall that I've found a wonderful College to attend.