Houston, TX
Rice University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rice University

Luis

Rice is a great college to go to! I am extremely happy to be going to a college where I feel like I have found a family. The residential college system really helps you meet lots of interesting people who are always open to help you out or to just chat. The staff is also extremely friendly and ready to help.

Patrick

Rice is really a special place. From the moment I finished touring it two summers ago I knew it was where I wanted to spend the next four years. The residential college system is absolutely amazing. It doesn't feel inclusive like some greek life tends to be but it also fosters really strong relationships among those within your college. When meeting new people it's common to say what college you're from, as with the majority of students there's a certain pride in one's college. Additionally, there is a fantastic balance between recreation and academics. Rice students know how to have fun, the parties are great and there's something for everyone. But we also know when to have fun. There's a time and place for everything and amongst all the adventure and fun-filled nights we still maintain great academics and learn new things. Safety and diversity are excellent as well. With the on-campus police department and a >50% out of state population you can expect a safe and unique experience wherever you go on campus. Finally, the beauty of the campus is astounding. The overarching trees along the pathways filter sunlight and the architecture of the buildings is timeless.

Tensae

Rice is a great school. Because it is still new however not many ppl know it so don't expect everyone to say "WOW" when you tell them you go to Rice. The name sucks to be honest, it is a food. Rice is most famous for STEM so chances are that is what you are planning to study. I am a bioengineering student and I love it! It is really hard but STEM is not easy no matter where you go. You have brilliant classmates all around you so you will do fine. Academic aside, our sports teams are pretty trash. Our football team is actually laughable and our basketball team is a joke too. Rice is not too diverse to be honest. Of course there are minorities and stuff but you only see them on the demographics pie chart (haha). Because throughout the semester everyone has their own classes and schedule, you won't see other minorities that often so it will feel very not diverse. There are way too much international students from South East Asia in my opinion. I think there are twice as many international students as African Americans. The school campus is very small and I like that. You don't have to run as fast as you can to the other side of campus for a class like you do in public schools (shoutout to UMD) . Rice has a small undergraduate population so it is very easy to meet people. A few months into freshman you will recognize a lot of people on your way to classes and get a lot of high fives which feels pretty cool. By far the best part about Rice is the residential college system. If you read Harry Potter, we basically have houses (11 total) like Gryffindor. Students are randomly placed into the 11 houses and they stay there until graduation. Your first week as a freshman is called O-Week and it's super fun! Basically they spend the entire week teaching you to love your house and hate all the other houses. You meet all the freshmen in your house and it's just a blast. They start planning O-Week an entire year in advance so that shows you how much the administration cares about it. On the other hand, O-Week is really artificial and is not a good indicator on how every week at Rice will be. You will have a lot of homework and studying to do throughout the weeks so it won't be all fun. Rice is actually a really academically difficult school. There is very little grade inflation like they have at the ivies so your gpa will be tough. You do need to work hard and study excessively but fear not! If you are motivated and use the resources available to you effectively, you will excel! Let's see (jesus I typed a lot lol). Parties. We are not known for them. Our parties are not too bad. That said if you go to a public school our parties are nothing like yours. It's mostly just a bunch of drunk asians jumping up and down to EDM. Since Rice is tough to get into, most of the kids were nerds in high school and did not party so they are really excited to party in college and think our parties do not suck but as someone who is familiar with a party scene, our parties suck. Good thing is there are never drugs going around or being put in people's drinks so don't worry about that. Weather- never too cold, coldest it's been last year (2015/16) is around 60 Farenheit. Hottest is around 90 Farenheit. It's usually in the 70s and 80s. It does rain like crazy though in the fall so make sure you have rain boots and a rain jacket/umbrella. Food - absolutely fantastic. literally can't beat it. We actually have the best food amongst US universities. You will be amazed. Freshman 15? Lol more like freshman 30 if you're not careful. Students are actually really fit which is nice to see. there are very few overweight students. Lot of people run and stuff. Dating scene- mostly hookups of course. Few serious relationships around (most last about 4 months). However a lot of people who go to Rice end up marrying another Rice student, I forgot the actual number but it's actually pretty high so who knows, you may find your match here. Greek life- we don't have any. Yay! ( or boo depending on if you want that) Academics- obviously fantastic. Honestly, once you get to the top 20 schools in the US, the differences in the quality of academics are really small. One tip: don't take General Chemistry here by all means. Do your best to take AP Chem and get a 4/5 on the Ap exam so you don't have to take that class at Rice. For reasons, I won't go into here because I have already made this review my dissertation, the class is absolutely, completely, the worst experience of almost every student to take the class. The professors are not on your side in that class, it is not curved, it is a nightmare from start to finish. Literally my biggest regret in life ( and trust me I have a few big ones) is taking that class. dont take it. Closing thoughts- if you made it this far, congrats! treat yourself with a cookie. Rice is great. I love it. I am so happy I came here. I have made great friends and it's no wonder Rice is rated #1 for student satisfaction. on my own advice, do not go to a school just because it is rated highly. Please go to a school where you feel at home. I know a couple kids who transferred out of Harvard to their howmetown public schools because they hated the academic atmosphere at Harvard. You are doing yourself a favor by going to a school you love. Never choose a school without visiting it first. Ultimately, the shcool's name does not matter as much as what you do with your resources so no worries. And remember, no matter where you go, if you work your butt off, you can get anywhere in this life. My best wishes to you. I know you'll kill it.

Ceyda
Great School

Rice has been my dream school since I was 11 and I'm really glad that I got it. I love Rice.

Great School

emma
Fantastic School, Amazingly Diverse Students, Accessible Professors, Plethora of Research Opportunities

Rice is an amazing school. The residential college system helps you adjust to college and find a family and fantastic group of friends away from home. Because everyone is so friendly to each other within a college, you get to know a diverse array of students and learn about different cultures and viewpoints from each other. Rice students come from so many different countries (Singapore, Italy, etc.) and states. They represent a wide range of ethnicities, so you'll never feel singled out -- we have clubs for almost all ethnicities. On top of that, faculty accessibility, as well as research opportunities, are amazing here. Professors are top-notch, yet they still make time for office hours and are willing to stay after class to help you. Plus, for most classes, there are TAs for each residential college, so you can always get help if you need it. And the small class sizes make getting help and learning the material even easier.

jeepers

By answering this question, I would reinforce stereotypes. No need to do that.

By answering this question, I would reinforce stereotypes. No need to do that.

I'm not sure how to answer this one. Sorry.

They are very smart and apply themselves.

Rice offers strong academics.

stan

It is a good school for me.

It is a good school for me.

I don't think it is helpful to talk about stereotypes. What kind of a question is that?

I don't think I'm a good judge of this.

They are pretty much as I expected.

It is harder than high school.

Kyle

Rice is pretty unknown, but is trying to make a bigger name for itself, sometimes at the cost of current student happiness (creating new buildings that take up space and that aren't really usable by current students.)

Rice students are friendly and helpful to one another, and they're always fun to be around.

Don't underestimate the amount of learning that happens outside the classroom. The thousands and thousands of dollars you pay each year will be a waste if all you do is schoolwork. Don't be afraid to lessen your course load so you can focus on yourself more. It's easy to think you have time for everything you want to do while still taking a full, difficult course load, but everything requires sacrifice, and the first thing that usually goes is personal time and personal growth. Do not let this happen. I don't know if there's one definitive thing you should learn while in college, but, if there is, I'd bet it isn't something you'd learn in class, so don't take extracurricular or personal learning lightly. Now don't get the wrong idea, class is important, but knowing your limits is more important.

LaQuishia

Hey LaQuishia, I'm the future you two years later. Well LaQuishia, first thing first, I'm in college now and it's not all fun and games. You need to step up on your studing skills, can't study at last minute. Second, you need to set up a BETTER sleeping pattern, you go to sleep late and wake up really early and crash in the middle of the day. Need to pay attention more in class, it will help out more in the long run. Last and not least the worst thing is you need to pay attention and study more in Math, we suck.! Now you are doing great in going to school everyday and on time, and that really paid off good here in the future. Also, you are doing great and reading classes, you did so good you don't need to take reading classes. Help us, no help yourself prepare for the future. And Keep up the good work. Signed, LaQuishia from 2013

Nathalie

There is no single epitome of the perfect Rice University student. I know people of varying levels of intelligence and diligence who have all found success. Rice University has shut-ins, popular kids, hipsters, etc. The one thing I feel every Rice Student has in common is the desire to learn and discover, so a prospective student should have similar desires. Since a diverse spectrum of students can have this similar goal, a Rice University student should be open-minded, because they will meet students from numerous distinct backgrounds.

Students who plan on spending large amounts of time and energy on pushing the student body for an improvement in school spirit and an increase in enthusism for our athletic teams should not attend this school. While most students at Rice aren't hostile to sports here, many are apathetic. Students who would disregaurd the honor code to get higher grades also shouldn't go here, because not only will such students most likely get caught, but also they aren't welcome here; Students at Rice actually care about the honor code.

Rice University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.