Moon Township, PA
Robert Morris University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Robert Morris University

My favorite thing about RMU is that it is close to the city of Pittsburgh (15-20 minute drive), but it doesn't have the feel of a city campus. I love going jogging around the nature trails on RMU's extensive property, I love that my friends and classes are so close that I don't have to take a bus, and I love feeling secure on campus, no matter what the time of day or night. One complaint about the school is that because so many students live close, a decent amount go home on the weekends - but that doesn't mean all the students do. There is always something to do or people to hang out with, regardless if it is a weekday or weekend. For being a D-1 school, there is not as much "RMU pride" as one would expect, but the Colonial Crazies student section has been growing since the success of the sports teams in the last few years.

Theater is very prevalent on campus, with two productions every semester. There are many professional clubs and organizations (for almost every major) to get involved in and start volunteering, going to conferences, and networking. Freshmen are very willing to meet new people and leave their doors open in the dorm rooms, but as the students get older, this is less common. If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, chances are you are playing video games. If you don't like to party, there are many things to get involved with on campus: volunteering, becoming involved in campus ministry, or working out at the fitness center are just some examples of what students do. Also, intramural or club sports are very popular - soccer, 3v3 and 5v5 basketball, dodgeball and volleyball are just some examples of teams that attract all kinds of students (including "just for fun" teams to more competitive players). Greek life isn't very prominent, but it has been growing in the last few years.

Most of the students that go to RMU are from Pennsylvania or a surrounding area. However, there are many groups of students at RMU, and I can't think of a type of student that would feel out of place here. Through student life and multi-cultural services, all types of students are represented - and if you feel as if you are not, it is easy to get support from the school to start a new club or organization.

Class sizes are small, even in some of the more general classes. Professors (even ones I haven't had) know my name, or at least recognize my face around campus. One complaint from students is that there are a lot of part-time instructors, but I haven't personally had any trouble with having a part-time professor. I like how RMU sets up classes on an online "checksheet" so students can easily see what classes they've taken and still need to take. Depending on the class/major, I would say RMU is easier than most schools, with a smaller workload (exception: the communication skills classes) and lots of opportunity for tutoring and help outside the classroom if needed.

I wouldn't say that RMU really has a stereotype in their student population. Many of the students are local (from Pennsylvania or a surrounding state), but we do have a handful of students (mostly athletes) from a variety of states and countries. Because RMU started out as a business school, most of the students are business majors (or trying for a related degree), but other programs in the school are growing quickly (ex: nursing, engineering, media arts, nuclear medicine). Also, while the school currently has a relatively small Greek life right now, it has been growing. Within the past two years, one fraternity and one sorority has been added to campus life.

Kyle

Robert Morris University has about every type of clique one can think of from the some 40% athletes on campus to the many aspiring engineers and bio-medical students. I can honestly say that they have created a very diverse atmosphere.

The best thing about Robert Morris is that everyone is cool with everyone. There are bound to be a few snobs, but it seems like you can talk to, play sports with, study with, party with, or do anything else with anyone on campus no matter who their friends are. If I had to change one thing, I would add a pool. We just purchased the Holiday Inn to convert into dorms, and it has a pool, but a lap pool on campus would be great. The size is just about right. You are a name and not a number but there is always someone around to hang out with. The school used to be stereotyped as a lower-class institution by other students I went to high school with, but I assure you that in the real world, whether your major is business, nursing, actuarial science, or anything else, RMU has the utmost respect given to it. The school spirit is excellent with the core sporting events having a wild atmosphere where the cool kids and the bookworms can paint themselves navy and red and sit in the front row screaming in support together. Overall, it is a great university and while I could have gone virtually anywhere with my SAT scores and resume, I do not think for a moment that I "settled."

Overall, the university is a melting pot. There are people from all over the country, some from all over the world of all races, nationalities, religions, classes, and sexual orientations and everyone finds a place to excel on campus. I don't feel that anyone would feel out of place here because there will be a group of people just like you and plenty of others who would love to get to know you. Most students are pretty relaxed and wear anything from jeans and a polo shirt to yoga pants and gym shorts to class, so there is not even remotely a dress code. Overall, political issues are only debated in class or among friends so no matter how you feel, you can join a political club, but you will not be derided for your views. Finally, when someone on campus mentions placement and potential earnings, they feel pretty confident coming out of RMU that they will excel.

RMU is the perfect academia in my opinion. The professors have all been very kind and supportive and I feel that I have made personal friendships with many of them. My least favorite classes are my hardest classes; the teachers may be great but math is still math. Some students don't study at all and some spend 8 hours a day in their rooms or the library, it really depends on you. The class size is perfect, 30-40 for the general requirements and typically 12-20 in major-specific classes resulting in great interaction between the teacher and student and time for questions being answered. I am an Actuarial Science major and RMU is in the top 10 schools in the nation for the major. Dr. Hudak was an actuary for seven years prior to coming to RMU and he has completely revamped the program into a career builder. Overall, this is an excellent college to learn at because the elective requirements allow you to learn more within or outside of your major while the degree programs are excellently tailored to each job's workplace requirements.

I don't think there are one set stereotype where at a WVU the stereotype is partiers and at Harvard it is snobs. Robert Morris is a pretty diverse community and it isn't hard to find a niche. Within a week you could be playing basketball nightly, studying, acting, or playing Magic cards in the main building at a big table by the window. It is all about what you want it to be.

Chrissy

This school is very student-oriented. I love how much professors care about students and want them to succeed

It is a very diverse university

All of the professors know my name. It is a very student-oriented university

Stuck up students because it's a private university

Ethan

Life is somewhat that way too. RMU is an inviting place that its easy to meet new people at. If you're going to be boring and not be willing to try new things you can go be a hermit in your room. However there are those that are extroverts and for them it will be easy to feel the lights shinning their way. The academics make me a little nervous because I believe they're just average.

Our sports teams are quite popular. I believe we have 23 Division I sports on campus and thats incredible for only four to five thousand undergrads. Greek life is only moderate, We have 3 big frats and only 2 big sororities if you were to ask me. The spiritual life here is very unsettling and borderline ignored.

Once again, diversity is seen in this category. There are so many groups/clubs that cover all sorts of issues its actually quite impressive for the size of our school. It would be very hard for an outsider to find someone who is literally not involved in at least one group/club on campus. There is a melting pot among ideas here at RMU that are far reaching.

Once again, unless you plan on being an actuary (whose latest results show that actuarial science majors have 0% unemployment in America) you might want to be somewhat worried. I am personally worried about the credentials of this school. If you are looking for a guaranteed job around Pittsburgh then come to RMU. However I am someone who would like to get a job somewhere that isn't western Pennsylvania and I am somewhat worried about my degree stacking up to others.

Students at RMU are as crazy as they come. I would say most students seem to be somewhat underachievers but there is also a large population of athletes visible at almost all times.

Sam

I'm in my fourth year at RMU and a lot has changed since my freshmen year. There have been so many changes, such as renovations to all of the dorms (expect one), two new buildings and larger incoming classes. I have enjoyed the new waves of underclassmen because they bring the change. RMU is a small school, about 5000 students and only 1000 on campus. Personally, I love the the small size, it is similar to a small town. Almost everyone knows each other but there are still those students you do not know, but when I mention the school to people outside of PA they have not heard of it. One thing I have always wanted to change was to take away the use of cars for freshmen on campus. It is quite on campus during the weekends with nothing to do, especially if you are under 21. Once you turn 21 there are a few bars in the township, but everyone travels to South Side in Pittsburgh. Luckily for RMU there is room for more improvements and the administration is working hard to do so. RMU just built a brand new apartment building on campus and purchased the Holiday Inn down the street to create a stronger school spirit. This year the homecoming football game had its first game under the lights, which brought in the largest crowd on record. Overall, RMU is a young school trying to mature into a university, by creating a strong community.

Unlike most schools in the U.S., RMU has become an overcooked casserole where all of the ingredients melt and blend together to create one cohesive dish. The general stereotype is the ‘average joe’, not many people are driving brand new Mercedes, but on the other end of the spectrum, not many people came from an extremely poor family. The students at RMU float in the middle of every category, for example, race, religion, wealth, and geographical location. Yes, there are a few groups that compete with the main stereotype; the main one is the ‘athlete’. About one in five students is an athlete for the university. Therefore it is a powerful group on campus, plus there is no other stereotype as large as the amount of athletes on RMU’s campus. Also, there are a few smaller stereotypes such as the art students, nurses and business majors. Although there is a range of various characters on campus the umbrella stereotype is the ‘average joe’.

Students at RMU are all very similar to one another. On the average class day you will see Steeler and/or Penguins jerseys. Everyone on campus (and in the city of Pittsburgh) owns a 'hoodie' of some brand. Living in western PA you do learn the importance of hood with the cold wind and rain. People who dress professionally for class or wear expensive brands stick out and would feel the most uncomfortable on campus. Now don't get the idea that RMU is a dump, instead the general idea is dress appropriate and comfortably. With this philosophy in mind, students are not distinguished from the crowd and are more likely to interact between the groups. There are specific groups that will sit together during meals. First are the sports teams, these groups are the most exclusive and you should be a member of the team. Next are the specific majors, such as nursing and media arts, which are more open to sitting with anyone. Another option are the gamers, they sit right outside of the cafeteria and play various card games throughout the day. Last are those who don't have a specific organization, these tables are inclusive and can consist of anyone. Personally, my favorite table is the non-organization specific tables (yes, I have been a part of all, except the gamers). Those tables usually are the most fun and consist of closer friends then any others. Although, there are different tables in RMU's brand new cafeteria, the students all interact amongst each other.

With a 15 to 1 student, teacher ratio, you will not get away with not knowing your professor by the end of the semester. The general classes (such as general psychology, economics and humanities) are usually larger and easier classes, but that is because every student has to take them. Once you complete those classes, you start to work on your major specific classes. Major specific classes tend to be smaller classes, have the same or similar teachers and most of the same students. Personally, I was an undecided major for longer than what is recommended, so I took classes of all different majors. My favorite classes were the art classes, from graphic design to drawing. I enjoy the amount of work that the projects involve (which ranges from 2-10+ hours on a signal project). Since I am a media arts major I have experienced the smaller major; I have the same teachers for different classes which allows you to get comfortable with your professor. Although it is nice having similar teachers and classmates I do wish students thought more about their work outside of class. No, students at RMU do not have intellectual conversations, mostly they debate the actions in the most recent Pittsburgh game. Students at RMU are focused about getting the work done and finishing their education. Many of the students do the minimum of work. But overall the small classes forces you to attend class and partake in the lessons, which will be more beneficial than a lecture in a gargantuan lecture hall.

At Robert Morris University, there is not a "common stereotype." We are very diverse in means of gender, race, ethnicity, etc. Robert Morris has a lot to offer a student. We have many organizations such as Greek life, intramural sports, cultural/diversity clubs, etc. Surprisingly, RMU is a Division I school, but we do not have that typical party scene, frat rows, and all of the hustle and bustle of a big university. If you find yourself wanting to go to a bigger university but are afraid to get lost in the craziness, Robert Morris is the place for you. Here, you will be able to get involved with any organization you can imagine while getting a "big" university degree.

Stephany

RMU is a place where I feel like a person and not a number; I also feel wanted and welcome there.

If I could go back in time to myself in high school, I would have chosen my current school as a first option. When I first started college, I new which major I wanted to go into and chose a school appropriate for it. After the first year with only taking classes in that major, I realized that it wasn't for me. I then chose a Technical School in which I have a degree from. Upon graduation, I am unsatisfied with the positions I can get with that degree. I decided to continue my education in the same field, but on another path. I am now a member of my college band, my class sizes are fitting my my liking, and everyone is very friendly. The big transition I would warn myself about is that even if I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and was sick of taking random "pointless" classes in high school, to keep doing that because the major you end up with may be very unexpected.

Anyone who wants diversity. Anyone who is competitive and is lookign for a great schol to compete in sports with. Anyone who does not want to be a number in class, and rather be on a first name basis with your professors.

Kayce

Robert Morris University is a little dull on the weekeneds but it's a great place to learn; the teacher, faculty members, and even janiters are all nice and they actually care.

If I knew then what I know now I would tell my high school self to be prepared. Save every chance you get; do not waste your hard earned money on useless stuff. Never stop signing up for scholorships, even the little ones. Never put anything off till the last minute, take your time on the big homework assignments and get a head start on them. Ask for help when you need it, there is no shame in it. Keep in touch with your close friends so that when you go back home during break you're not just hanging out around the house all day. Do not stress out, when you are feeling some stress just do something relaxing. Stay active, the freshman fifteen is not an urban legend. Call your parents, they miss and worry about you, mostly your mom. Don't call your siblings, they will either ask for something of yours or tell you they already took something of yours; you can save that fight for when you are home on break.

My school is a little to far away from anywhere really worth going to. If you want to go somewhere, you will usually need a vehicle to get there. There are a few stores close by for groceries or necessities

Lacey

My college experience so far has been the best time of my life. I am finally with people like myself, who care about learning and work hard. I always knew that college was the right path for me, but I could have never imagined what an impact it has had on my life. I have had the chance to step outside of my comfort zone. I have applied for many leadership positions, joined clubs, and have maintained a 3.87 GPA. College has taught me many valuable lessons. Most importantly, I have come to realize that sometimes dreams become reality.

I wish that I would have known how to study properly. In high school I was never asked to read text books, but almost all of my college classes require text book reading. This has been a great challege but I am working hard to overcome my weaknesses. I also wish I would have known more about all of the different services offered by the school. There was a lot that I didn't take advantage of my first semester because I didn't know about it. I am now getting involved in many different aspects of the college experience.

The most frustrating thing about Robert Morris is the size. I came here for a "small school" experience, but many of my classes have over thirty students. I know that Robert Morris is trying to expand because of the huge freshman class, but it's very frustrating being in a large class. It makes learning much more challenging and many of the athletes are disrepectful and disruptive during class. If Robert Morris can expand quickly it will make my college experience much better.

Robert Morris University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.