Oshkosh, WI
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

Jacob

The process of ordering and purchasing books at the schools bookstore is unorganized and hard to complete within a single week.

The advice that I would give myself would be to go to college and get your education no matter the price. I would also tell myself to wait on going into the military and see what I really want to do with my life, along with, what would make me truly happy. The most important words of advice that I could give my younger self would be, taking the road less traveled is a noble and remarkable thing to do, but it comes with a price. So, work hard but remember to take care of yourself along the way.

Brooke

A person that is not willing to work hard should not attend this school. To learn the matieral and apply the knowledge to future occupations, requires commitment, time and effort.

I would give myself advice regarding academics, friends and group participation. Developing good study habits will become more important as courses become increasingly more difficult. High school came fairly easy to me, and I have never had to truly study. Now, I have had to learn how to study for my nursing classes. Getting good grades in high school also provides more opportunities for admission to the college of your choice. Regarding friends, I would say that it is important to try not to be shy because once you get to college, you probably won't know many people. Once you are at college and away from your family, friends become an important support system. Group participation teaches you the value of teamwork. In college you will be a part of group projects, clinical groups, and lab groups. By participating it not only helps you, but it makes the team more successful overall. Taking this advice when it comes time to start college, will help you get the most out of your college experience.

The worst thing at my school is that there is not always enough availability to get the classes needed in order to graduate on time. Some people have to wait an entire year to get the class or go to a nearby school. As an example, I was not able to get into physiology for two semesters and ended up taking the class elsewhere.

Rashaam

Make sure you select a college based on what career path you plan to take. Don't chose a school based on where your friends are going. Always take heed to your parents advice. In most situations they have gone through a similar experience and any advice that they give will help in some way. Set goals for yourself to ensure you make the balance between school work and sport activities.

The individual that attend this school should be focused and determined. They should expect to get the necessary assistance they need should any issues arise.

Alicia

What I brag most about UW-Oshkosh to my friends and family is the academics and how great the professors are. I also brag about the different options stidents have to get involved in the school. Also, the athletics here are great as well, with a lot of support from the commuinity.

Thinking back to my senior year of high school and having to make my college decision I would tell myself to slow down. I would tell myself to research as many colleges as possible. I would research the different majors the colleges offers, where the college is located compared to stores in the city, and is the college affordable. Also, I would research what employers in the area are hiring. Being a college student, I have learned the working is a necessity. Next, I would tell myself that college is not like high school. College requires you to study and put in a lot of effort to acheive the grades you want. Also, I would tell myself that moving away from home is harder than I thought in high school. Once you leave home everything is up to yourself. But, leaving home makes you realize how much you appreciate and cherish your parents and what they did for you when you lived at home. Lastly, I would tell myself to have fun. College is everything that you make of it. The friends you make at school are the ones that will be there for you the rest of your life.

With being an incoming freshman, I wish I did more research into all the different options you have when choosing a major, also I wish I would have known how the Quest Program at UW-Oshkosh worked a little better.

Nathan

The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh is known for instilling work ethic in its students.

If I could go back to my high senior self and give any advice, I would say, "Reach out to others, be a part of campus life, and be unaffraid of meeting new people." One of my greatest struggles during my freshman year was integrating myself into the campus community. I live five hours away from Oshkosh, and everyone there seemed to know each other; I quickly felt like an outsider. I have always found making friends a tall task. During my first semester I studied, ate meals, and relaxed in my dorm room. I should have spent more time trying new things on and of campus. Grades are obviously important, but making friends and developing relationships is as important. So, again, the advice I would give my younger self would be to reach out to others.

The isolation, one may feel in UWO, can be very challenging. I live five hours away from campus, and I had a hard time making friends and sociallizing in a new environment. There are very few options to socialize on campus.

Heather

For the most part my classmates are organized and timely, they respect other student's right to an education and are respectful during lectures and class time.

Take a deep breath, take the time to fully appreciate who you are and how far you have come right now. High school was not easy but you did very well. The coming years will pose even more of a challenge but you are far from alone. You have a supportive family and wait until you see the friendships you will make. Regardless, you are a strong, compassionate and brave woman who is not only a amazing team player but is able to independently motivate herself. Never be ashmed of asking for help, it does not make you look weak, it makes you strong because you know yourself well enough and you are willing to do whatever it takes to rise above even if it is hard. Do not lose sight of what is important, your life is not about being the best it is about being a person of honor, someone who will risk their own comfort to help a friend, someone who cares more about nature than about looking like a celebrity, someone who would never take back even the most embarassing of moments because they are what has shaped you into the person you are today.

If there was something I wish I had known, it would be where to find scholarship information and just resources in general; both academic and social. With the technological revolution everyone pushes online resources but it was not until late in my sophomore year that one of my friends pointed me to the scholarship board in Dempsey hall, I wish I had know about that sooner as it would have saved me a lot of anxiety about where I should even start to look for scholarships before I even started at Oshkosh.

Monica

UW-Oshkosh could be simplified into a few words: a place of oppurtunity. In knowing people who are attending the college, one thing stands out with what they say, and that is oppurtunity. Titans have mulitple ways into finding the person they will be in the future, whether that is finding out what they want to be, the likes/dislikes that they didn't know they had, or much more. UW-Oshkosh will be a place welcoming and full of endless oppurtunities for new students. The honor of being accepted to this school opens me to an endless time oppurtunities.

Being a high school senior, there is only one thought in mind, and that is going away from their city and moving on to a new chapter in their life. In beginning to get accepted to the colleges of their dreams, seniors start to slack off in their studies thinking that they don't need to do much because they have already been accepted. In other words, if I were to go back in time and tell myself something that I know would change me during college, that would be to never slack off even if your goal is one step away. The act of never giving up to your goal shows more to other people than reaching the goal by taking short cuts. Even if a senior has been accepted to their dream school, that means that they should still work hard in the closing school year, because in what they learn in high school, will also return to college. Having that background knowledge about a subject previously taught will show professors that you were a hard worker, and will continue to be a hard worker in the following years to come fulfilling your goal: finishing college.

All types of people should be accepted to Oshkosh, because a non-accepting or completely rude person can walk into the college and come out a new person. People who are more extroverted and help the introverted students find their way and that is into becoming a better person and allowing new people into their lives. If here had to be a person that shouldn't be able to attend UW-Oshkosh, it should be the student who restricts people into attending. In other words, selfish pepole.

Timothy

The most unique thing about UW Oshkosh is its extensive Nursing program. The college has so many people going into nursing and with the strong emphasis on medical things, the science field is really well developed. If I were going into nursing, I would be ecstatic with the amount of resources involving nursing around campus.

Knowing what I know now about college, I would tell myself to not believe what everyone else says. Almost every person I talked to about college said that it is greatly different than high school and you cannot treat studying and the education the same. I have found that to be completely wrong. Whether than means that I was already treating high school like college, or if college simply is just a harder version of high school I am not sure. However most counselors thought my approach on college was going to lead me to failure, that I cannot treat college like I did with high school, however coming out of my first semester with As and one B+, I would have to disagree with them. I would also tell myself to not worry about living with my roommate. I was worried I was going to hate everything about it; however I found that it was rather enjoyable. Obviously there was some pet peeves that have built up over the time, it is nothing I cannot deal with and I would tell myself to relax.

I think the best thing about UW Oshkosh is the people. From the professors and the other staff members, I have not met one member who was rude or did their job poorly. Every professor I have had did their jobs with enthusiasm and always had a smile on their face.

michelle

People who should attend college are those who take risk. Although college is expensive and very hard to achieve once you do all of that and get your degree you can do anything in life because you have a promising career that would help you in your future. People who try very hard and do not give up are those who I saw can do anything. They know that haveing a degree can help you be successful in life.

People who should not attend college are those who do not try and give up very easliy. For example, people who are lazy they have no intention of doing things by themselves and are always asking others to do it. I'm not say that they do that on purpose but because it is an easier route for them. They do not care about school, and all they want to do is have fun. My advice to them is do well in school because it is a key which can unlock new oppurnities for you in life.

My advice I would given to myself would be still be the same, to try hardest and to never give up especially while I'm in college. I know for a fact that college is very important, it is the key which can lock new opportuntiy for me in my life and my future. I know for a fact that if I recieved my college degree I would be successful. I'm majoring in Nursing I love to care and help people when it is needed. I know that college is important and having a degree and becoming who I really want to be in life would absolutely help me but others also. My advice to my myself if I was to go back in time as a high school senior I know that when I graduate and go to a unversity that I would never give up, college is very important to me and I know that I should nver give up that opportuntiy.

Ellie

I wish I would have known more of the course options that I had! While academic advisors are super useful, I basically let mine choose all of my first semester classes for me. I wish I would have been more familiar with the course catalog so that I could have made my own decision.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stop worrying so much and to stop making up worst-case scenarios in my head! I would tell myself that although I did not realize it at the time, my high school courses prepared me well for college and that I would have no problems passing a college class. Since I worried how I would pay for my tuition (and sometimes still do), I would let myself know that I would find a wonderful job within the first two months of school that would signifiicanty lighten the financial burden of college. Something I never would have expected to happen was that I received a job promotion right after first semester because I dedicated myself to not only my schoolwork but also my job! In conclusion, I would just tell myself to keep working hard at everything I do to ensure that my first semester flows smoothly, but I would also mention that life doesn't always go in the direction you expect. In addition to working hard, I think that every new college student should learn to stop worrying and relax every so often!

The most frustrating thing is the variety of clubs to pick from! There's so many I want to join, but I don't have enough time in my schedule for all of them, sadly.

University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.