Oshkosh, WI
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

Allison

My school is a great school to go to; it makes me feel at home and it does a lot for its students such as free tutors for a class, acedemic help, finacial aid help, counsling help, a writing center, free food for finals, and professors that are willing to help you suceed in life which is important because they try their very best to ensure that everyone gets a good education here and a degree so that they can be sucessful citizens in the future.

I would give myself the adivce to study more in high school because studying in college is different than studing in high school. I would also tell myself to try new things in high school because in college there are many oppertunities to try new things such as new clubs or studying abroad. Another thing I would mention is to look more into scholarships and finacial aid because althought college may be fun and offer a lot of things to it students, it can be expensive at times and its important to what your money and use it wisely. I would tell myself to do not worry about the beginning of freshman year and trying to meet new friends and find everything. On the first day everyone is in the same boat trying to find their classes and meet new friends. Always make sure on the first day to meet everyone because you will never know who your best friends will be later in the future.

I usually brag about how our school allows us to have winter breaks because our school hours are longer than some of the other schools. How our professors are there for us and are willing to help us all the time. I also talk about how there are many oppertunities to seek help by getting free tutors for a class, writing center, math center, and counsling. I mention how here at my college, they focus on the student first to help give them the best education and opertuinitys to prosper in the future.

Micayla

Its far from home, I miss my family and my dog.

Its far from home, I miss my family and my dog.

I would tell myself to pay more attention to the college related information sessions that are provided in high school. I decided to take a semester off, I missed my ACT test and now I'm behind a semester. I wish I would have gotten a better ACT score that would have helped me avoid taking a remedial math class. Its really important not to blow those things off, because there will be unforseen consquences that you will have to deal with later. Also, I wish I would have listened to my mom and saved more money for college so I didnt have to take college loans to pay for my tuition and housing. It really is important to apply for scholarships as well.

I really like that its a small university that offers the students a mulititude of majors, sports & activities. They really go out of their way to provide a well rounded college experience. Every aspect is well thought out for the students to experience and grow.

If I could go back and give myself advice for college while I was in high school, I would tell myself three things: one- get to know your professors, two- get involved on campus, and three- manage your free time wisely. Getting to know professors is extremely important because they are the greatest resource a college student has, and they are often the least used. Being involved in campus activities is a great way to make connections, meet new people, and get to know a new community. I joined Circle K International my freshman year, which is a volunteering organization on campus and I made lots of friends and got to know the city of Oshkosh. Lastly, managing free time wisely is important because although it is tempting to spend free time napping or relaxing, or even hanging with friends, it is beneficial to spend some of that time studying or catching up on work. In the long run, this will help any student stay ahead with their work, and could also help keep grades up with daily reviewing of class material. Knowing these three things would have been beneficial to me when I was beginning my college experience.

I wish I had known better time management skills. I have some tough classes this semester, and sometimes my time management is not the best, or I put too much effort into one class and then fall behind in my others. This is something I have been steadily working on, and it has progressed over my year and a half here. I expect it to improve as I move further towards graduation.

If a person were to attend this school, they should be driven, focused, and hard-working. The school requires a good amount of course work, as well as out of class research and activities to be completed. Being lazy or un-motivated can have serious consequences, and can cause a person to be put on academic probation or even cause them to drop out.

Serryn

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it is so far away from my home. I am taking my college courses online, but would like my school to be closer so that I may participate in school events. I am a single mother and I work full-time so there is little time for me to attend classes on campus. I would still like to be involved, attend veterans meetings and social clubs. I feel that being involved with your school and classmates contributes to successful learning.

When I tell my friends about my school I brag about the online course availability, flexibility, and the helpfulness of my program advisor and instructors. UW Oshkosh has made my decision to return to school much less difficult and has given me the opportunity to advance my education and career for myself and my son. I am very grateful! UW Oshkosh is a really great school that offers a lot of tools for online learners so that we are able to feel connected with the school and their resources. They go above and beyond to help me succeed.

Be persistent! You are strong and smart! Whatever you do, try your best and do not give up! Don't be intimidated by the large campus, big town and all the people. It will be the biggest place you have ever seen. Make friends and study hard and you will do great. College may seem hard and you will feel overwhelmed and out of place. You are going to be homesick and miss your friends, Mom and Rhea. Don't quit! Know that those feelings will pass and you will succeed. Join clubs, socialize and be involved. You are 100% in control of your future! College leads to so many other wonderful things in your life. You can never learn too much. Just remember that hard work, dedication and persistence always pay off in the end. You will make it. When you are my age you will look back on this time and be so proud of yourself and your accomplishments and no matter where life takes you that feeling can never be taken away. Good luck at college. I know that you will make a difference and do really great!

Rebekah

The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh is very well-known for their nursing program. When citizens of surrounding communities hear me say that I am going for nursing at UW Oshkosh, they instantly respect me a bit more because they know and have heard how rigorous the nursing program is. It is very competitive grade and personality wise. The nursing program at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh is very unique to every other school in the State of Wisconsin.

My advice to my younger high school self would be to make sure I have more balance between my academic, social, physical, and working life. In high school, I was serious about my academics. I am not one of those college students who can say they never studied in high school, because I did. My grades mattered to me. However, the first semester of my junior year, I quit volleyball and took my Certified Nursing Assistant course at the local technical school. After I completed that, I was hired at the county nursing home where I worked about 25 hours a week. Between studying to keep my grades up and working, I did not have much time for physical activities like working out or sports. Along wth that, I also didn't have much time to spend with my friends. My life was taken up with working to save money for college and keeping my grades up so I could get into college. If I could go back, I would make sure to cherish the high school activities that went on and would make my academic, social, physical, and working life more balanced.

I love talking about the social life I have here at campus. It was very easy to meet my friends. The campus has endless events and opportunities to enjoy with friends and to meet new people. My favorite events that happen at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh are the club hockey games. I being a fan of hockey really enjoy the games. As a club team, our school is very good. Whenever my friends and I go to a game, we know we are going to have a great time.

Graham

Our student involvement is unbelievable. With over 130 student groups and organizations on campus, it is almost impossible to NOT find a student org. or club that is directly beneficial to one's specific field of study. Moreover, the sheer amount of things happening on campus at any given time is incredible. As a freshman or a transfer student, you don't need to sit in your room all day and study! If someone finds a group or org. on campus, they are bound to be successful in their field of study.

Coming from a town where diversity flourished, it's safe to say that Oshkosh is lacking in the diversity department. It's troubling to me that some students look at our ethnic demographic and think over 70% caucasion is 'diverse' by any means. I see a lot of 'natural' segregation on campus. Even though students here are very friendly dispite that fact, it seems to be diluting the possibility of having that "maximum college experience" that we all hope to achieve in our few short years at a university.

Alisha

The best thing about college is the freedom it allows. You are not in school for eight hours a day, five days a week. You go to class, however many a day you have, and then the rest of the day is yours. What you chose to do with your day is up to you. Obviously it would be best to do homework and/or studying. Personally I like to start my week off by figuring out exactly what needs to be done and when for each class. Then tackle each assignment individually.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice it would be simple. I would tell myself to learn study habits early. In high school it's pretty easy to not study and still pass. In college, however, you really do have to study to pass exams and quizzes. Study meaning studying throughout the section, not just the night before the exam. My Philosphy exams are all essays. Two questions, two essays, four paragraphs per essay. It's not easy to write that much without knowing the content. I wish I knew study tactics other than just making note cards. Note cards are great for studying vocabulary, but not so much for knowing deeper content. I wish that there were classes available in high school to learn how to study, instead of coming into college without having a clue.

The most frusterating thing about college is also the freedom. It's so easy to just not go to class becuase they won't call your parents and ask why you aren't in class. If the professor takes attendence, then you may just get points docked off your grade. Also, it's easy to take a nap or watch TV between classes instead of doing homework. With all the freedom, you really have to plan your days to accomodate your schedule.

Emma

I brag about the sense of community I feel at my school. UW- Oshkosh is a decent sized school yet with all the oppurtunites to join clubs it makes the big campus seem like a small community. I hear horror stories from my friends who feel like they haven't yet settled in to their school and their new enviornment. My transition to Oshkosh was flawless. Oshkosh makes getting involved in different clubs and activites easy and painless. There is a club for anything you might be interested in and thats what I brag about to my friends.

The great thing about UW-Oshkosh is that if you're the type of person who wants to suceed then you should go here. The sense of community makes you feel safe and secure. All the professors will go out of their way to help you if you take the time and effort to get help. Oshkosh gives you a strong base and all it needs is effort from a person to succeed.

If I could give my younger self advice about college life the advice would be not to worry. It seems like a scary monumnetal change and if you make a mistake it'll ruin your life. In actuallity everyone is trying to find their place at college and everyone makes mistakes. Be yourself and you'll find people that you hate, but you also make connections with people who you will end up changing your life for the better. I worried too much going into college;it was unneeded stress. I would just tell my youngerself to relax, not worry so much and concentrate on being yourself and the friends that will accept you for you will find you.

Mark

Right now I would consider the worst thing about my school the unusually high amount of criminal activity, much of it directed toward or even perpetrated by students. This rash of unusual violence has led me to be quite concerned for the welfare and safety of the on campus students. It is my belief and my hope that the sincere and dedicated efforts of the local law enforcement agencies, both on campus and in the city itself will continue to work to apprehend the criminals and protect the students. I hope the school continues its safety emphasis and efforts too.

My advice to myself would be to concentrate, work very hard and dedicate myself to learn all I can. Demonstrate commitment to the knowledge and the learning process by presenting an excellent work ethic. Absorb all the informaion available and continue to strive to obtain as much education as possible before moving on to a career, family and life concerns. Once you've earned it, it can't be taken from you, so be proud of your achievments and maintain a standard of excellence in academic and community work. Make a sincere effort to obtain as well-rounded an education as possible, while striving for mastery in your chosen subject. Use the information you recieve to better yourself and your community. Observe the information you recieve in an objective way, and work to apply it to innovative ways to view your potential career, your life and even your leisure pusuits. Education is power, and a person who can become educated and use and apply that education to life, work and service is indeed a powerful force. Most importantly, you get from education what you put into it. Strive to take something useful from every class and experience. Learn and achieve!

I find the scholarly attempts to mold the viewpoints of students the most frustrating thing about this University. The textbooks are rich with useful information, though the information is often presented in a less than objective manner. Older students are able to discern the relevance of the information and make sound judgements regarding how they feel and apply the information. Younger students with less life experience need to carefully consider the information that is presented to them. Read, study and learn, the information is great, but use your critical thinking when applying your learning to your life and your world.

Chloe

I wish I would have known about the new University Studies Program that they are making the freshmen take. I feel as if it was a waste of my time and money.

I hate that it can be so hard to enroll into the classes that you may need for the next semester. Some times you are forced to wait a semester to take a certain class because there aren't enough seats open for all of the students that have to take the class.

I would tell myself to get involved! Yes, I joined the dance team, but that's all I did. I wish I would have been more out going and made more friends and interacted with people more. I had a bad roommate experience my freshman year of college, but I would tell my freshman self to not let that get the best of me. I would tell myself to make the most out of that situation, because eventually it will get better! Also, I wish I would have participated in more clubs, extra curriculars and intramural sports. They are great ways to meet new people and have fun at the same time. All in all, if I had the chance to talk to myself before my freshman year of college I would just tell myself to live in the moment and make the best out of every day that is given to you because you never know what could happen the following day.

University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.