Anoka-Ramsey Community College Top Questions

Avery

Easily the hardest part of my transition from high school to college was the homework layout. In High School, I was used to getting homework that was due two or three days after being assigned. In college, I was thoroughly surprised to find that each class had about six assignments or more due two week from when they were assigned. If I could go back in time, I’d give myself the advice to start homework the moment it is assigned, regardless of how long until it was due. This is one of the biggest reasons my first semester was my worst for my GPA. The second biggest mistake I made was “studying” by reading the chapter straight through and never touching it again. While that kind of worked in high school , it wasn’t even close to good enough for college. I have learned several studying techniques that have given me a 4.0 the last two semesters but the one I would tell myself first would be to print out lecture slides and take notes on them. This is what cemented the lower grades I got in my first classes that I regret to this day.

I would try to save more money for college. I would have gotten a job earlier and saved more money for tuition and books. I did not realize how expensive college is or how much books would cost me. I would have also taken more PSEO classes while I was in high school. I wish there were more classes you could take when in the PSEO program. I would also take much better care of myself. I worried too much about what other people thought of me and did not understand that people would like me for who I am and if they didn't it wasn't because there was something wrong with me. I would pay attention to how I felt, there were many times I was depressed in high school, but I thought it was just me, I didn't realize that many people suffer from anxieties or depression. If I would have taken better care of myself, I would have made other choices for college, but it was difficult for me to decide where I wanted to go and I was scared about making the wrong choice so I picked Anoka Ramsey, it was safe.

Aamnda

If I could go back to my senior year I would give myself these three very important tips: #1 Go PSEO to the community college that is only a half hour away (it's cheap credits that will transfer to the U of M in fall of 2010). And by going PSEO you are more likely to find what you are looking for in a University fast by having a small taste of what college is like. #2 Don't worry about having your life planned out! Amazing opportunities arise from everywhere! For example you can study abroad in Germany for a year and complete your major! Or audition for the University of Minnesota Guthrie Theater program! #3 Go out and live a little ? sure working 20-35 hours a week is nice because you have money but money isn?t everything. Make sure you have AT LEAST one night a week to go hang with your family, friends or even by yourself. Find an outlet for all the hard work you do at school and work. Take a yoga class (it?s SO refreshing!!!) I wouldn't just take my own advice but I would give it to others.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school i would tell myself a couple things about college life. the first thing i would tell myself is to get more involved with things that the school offers, like sports and clubs. I was not having fun at AR untill I started working in the athletic office, and I made a ton of new friend. Another thing I would tell myself is to study, study, study. College requires a lot more effort and time then high school does for students to get the grades they want and need. If I could go back and tell myself these things I think my first year of college would have been not only easier bu a lot more fun.

Looking back at the decisions I made as a senior in high school, for my future college experience, there are a few things I would do differently. I never took the time to look into programs, such as STEP or PSEO, which would have allowed me to receive college credits during high school. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would definitely have participated in this. I know many people that did, and I now know that this would have been a great idea. I think it truly is the best and easiest way to make that difficult transition from high school to college life. By taking both high school and college courses at the same time, it allows a student to gradually ease into the new experience. One thing I would not change, however, is my decision to initially attend a community college. Taking generals at this type of institution allowed me to take many classes, and for a far lower cost. One more thing I would advise is to not follow my friends to where they're going, but to choose the college that's right for me which is exactly what I ended up doing.

Tasherra

I know you are excited about attending college, but there's a few things i would like to let you know. First, always do your work when it's given to you. Eventhough, they give you about two days to complete it doesn't mean that you can slack off and not complete it. Usually, when the professors give you assignments like that they are long and should take the amount of time they give you to complete it. Secondly, parties! I know you may love to party but it's time to outgrow ir and get your mind right. It's ok to party with your friends sometimes, but you have to buckle down a little. I mean if you're multitasked and you can get your work done and also get to to party, more power to you! Last but not least, just enjoy yourself and learn at the same time. I'm not telling you that you always have to stay in your drom room and do nothing. If you have free time use it wisely, have FUN! In my words, you only live once, do all you want to do because it's the only chance.

Being a single mom/full time student that didn't attend school for 10 years that is starting her college career, I would change a lot of things that I did differently. I would certainly take school classes way more seriously. I would also not have taken a 10 year break from school, I would have to just went right away. I would also pick the order of my college classes differently. I would have taken a heavier workload and some of the more difficult classes.l

Eva

if i could go back in time, i would have told myself to prepare. i was so not ready when i decided to go to college. i didn't know the first thing about financial aids and the qualifications for everything. plus the cost for everything. i would have done more research and been more prepared for some of the things i was told when applying for colleges. when your a kid you have 2 parents who take care of you and are your guide up until you graduate. once you graduate your on your own and your have to learn to do for yourself and what better way to do that then better yourself with a degree.

Don't give up! There are people every step of the way who will continue to push you and inspire you. The sky is truely the limit. Sometimes road blocks fall in the way and you take the wrong turn but there is always someone to help point you in the right direction. Sometimes on our way to a dream we stumble and fall and we discover a new dream. Don't be afraid. Keep on smiling!

Renita

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I would say, ?Renita, you are a talented, bright young woman. Even though it doesn?t feel like it right now, your education is extremely important to your future. Take your time, and go to college now, everything else will come later. Stop trying to grow up so fast, go for the adventures in life. Take a chance on college living and study abroad while you can. Don?t just lead with your heart, lead with you head. Realize what you want to accomplish in your lifetime and choose an educational program that will help you achieve that. Everyone expects a lot of you, but you need to acknowledge what you expect of yourself. Settle for nothing less than what you deserve, and have no regrets. Achieve your dreams before moving on to someone else?s. You live your life only once, no second chances. Lastly, Renita, you don?t need to prove anything to anyone, you are an intelligent young lady with a good heart, and those people who really matter are those that will see everything wonderful in you.?

I would have told myself that I can do it. I am smart. I can succeed. I should never doubt myself.

I would tell myself that college is much more challenging than high school. I'd also mention that if I wanted to do good, that I would have to pace myself, never do my assignments at the last minute and always study early for finals. Making the transition would be a bit rough, so I would tell myself to only take the minimum of 12 credits during the first semester. That way, I wouldn't be overworked in the beginning.