Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

Students at ASU come from all walks of life. You won't find just preppy rich kids, or super-intelligent people here. ASU can't possibly be described as having a student body of jut one, or a couple types. People here come from everywhere. With Michael Crow's vision of an "New American University" being implemented, ASU has increased in size over the year to being the largest public school in the country with a total enrollment around 75000. Our students come from every state in the union, and over 70+ countries. I've met students from all over South America, East and West Europe, Asia, and Oceania. As with all campuses there are respectful people, and not. Hateful, and caring. I'm a 2nd generation Cantonese Chinese-American (born and raised), Non-denominational Protestant Christian, from an upper-middle class area of Arizona. I've met people from every group, and people are accepting for the most part. People are also diverse. When I was in design the majority of our kids were international students. There were a lot of students from Indonesia, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hongkong, and Japan. Spliced in there were kids like me, native-born Arizonians, along with people of Native American descent, Californians, Oregonians, East coast, and West coasters. Religion-wise, I met people who were Wiccans, Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Buddhists, Bohai, etc. Some people even made their own religions. At ASU i think the prevalent financial background is middle class and upper-middle class. ASU as a whole mostly takes students from Arizona (it is one of our state institutions), but has a large growing population of out of state students, and international students (both exchange, and 4-yr students). The breakdown for me feels like 50/35/15. Students tend to get a long, and interact with people from every race and type. I think the most common case of "isolation" is that mostly foreign students from Asia and the UAE/Middle East tend to stay off on their own. Asian students are more accessible though because of the great interest in Asian language courses and organizations.

I was pleasantly surprised with the academics at ASU! My classes vary in size from small classrooms to large lecture halls. In the small classrooms the teachers get to know me very well and show a genuine interest in my success. What surprised me was that when I introduced myself to my lecture professors, they remembered me as well! All of my professors are very engaging and keep class interesting while teaching the important points of the curriculum. They encourage each student to try their best and give their students tools to succeed on every exam and assignment. I know this personally because I have listen intently to my professors and have followed the guidelines they have layed out for me, and have earned a 4.0 so far in my college career! I major in business communication with a minor in psychology and have taken classes that range from sociology to computer info technology. The most unique class I have taken has probably been sociology with Dr. Fey. He has a very unique way of teaching that kept me interested and allowed me to internalize the material much better than I would have in any other setting. I ended up with an A+ in that class and a mind full of fascinating information I use on a daily basis! I usually make a point to attend the professors office hours, because they can give you more personal attention and help you with any material you are struggling with. They are also very fun to talk to and you can learn many things about life itself from them. ASU's academic requirements are very reasonable and allow students to get into the school and grow in a university setting. The education at this school is definitely geared toward growing as an individual and starting a career that you are best suited in. I am in the W. P. Carey business school and they work hard to give the students as many opportunities as possible to achieve all their goals and get a successful career going right out of college. I know that academically speaking, I have made a good decision being a part of W.P. Carey and ASU in general.

I think there is a good diverse group of people at ASU. Most of the kids here are from Arizona, but there are a lot of kids from out of state as well. While we might not be the most racial diverse campus in the country, I think the ideals of the student body are very diverse. Just walking around campus a student can see groups of people who believe in all sorts of causes and can approach these people to learn more about what they believe in and what they are trying to teach other people about. The great thing is that learning about other people's beliefs is completely voluntary on campus, so if you want to hear about what they are saying, you can walk up to them and find out, and then if you decide you don't agree you can have a lively discussion or you can walk away. Either way, everyone has their chance to speak out and make their opinion known without anyone's feelings getting hurt or belittled. I think the great thing about the student body at ASU is everyone seems to be passionate about something, whether it be politics, Greek life, sports, education, finances, religion, or any other topic, you can find people who are just as passionate about your cause as you are.

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? The exist, and host a variety of programming, in which I have attended some events. · What kind of student would feel out of place at ASU? It is hard to feel out of place with this many people. · What do most students wear to class? Anything ranging from pajamas to suits. · Do different types of students interact? It would be hard not to, but yes. · There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. Again, way too many dining halls, way too many students to even worry about looking at them to describe them. · Where are most ASU students from? Arizona · What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? I have no idea, but we have our fair share of rich people. · Are students politically aware / active? Yes, like most liberal arts institutions. Are they predominantly left, right or center? Too many students to not have a mix · Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? I haven't heard one person mention that in three years.

There are various races and religions on campus. Everybody comes from different economic backgrounds, it is a very diverse campus. A student who was really concentrated on school work and strict academics should probably attend another university. Most students wear shorts, jeans, t-shirts, tank tops to school, its usually very hot. People are usually comfortable amongst people who are similar to themselves, that causes them to stick together. However, diverse activites or events may cause interaction that may not normally happen. ASU students are literally from everywhere. Some people are very wealthy and some people are using all the grants and aid they can get. The financial status is very diverse. There is not four tables that could describe ASU's student body. Students are definitely concerned about how much money they'll earn one day, its on almost everyones mind. Students are politically aware but that doesn't include everybody a lot of people dont care and are more wrapped up in their own lives.

There are all different types of students here at ASU. Since there are so many students attending, the school naturally holds a lot of different types of people. I do not think ASU is as racially inclined as other schools, but we still do have a variety of students. We have religious clubs and there is cultural Greek Life offered. Students at ASU are typically attractive and carry themselves well. Most people don't wear sweatpants to class unless it is in a the morning, people typically get ready every day. If you were to walk into the dining hall and examine the tables you would see people affiliated with greek life, students that have known each other from home, Honors students and kids that live in the same hall. A lot of the students at ASU are from Arizona but there are also a lot from out of state, that's one of the great things about the large student body. Most students at ASU seem to be middle to upper class and have a good head on their shoulders.

ASU is big enough to have a clique for everybody, and there are a lot of international students because it is comparably affordable. Although more conservative than a lot of universities, it's more liberal than the rest of Arizona. We have had big political events that bring out lots of students, such as the final 2004 debate between Bush and Gore, but overall students are not very politically active. Financial backgrounds run the gamut from people putting themselves through school to dumb rich blonde girls, but ASU is trying to encourage more underprivileged members of the local community to attend, and they give lots of scholarships. One recent controversy involved a new state law denying illegal immigrants in-state tuition, even people who came as young children and have been very academically motivated. ASU tried to find private donations to keep these kids in school, which was cool, but we don't know at this point how successful it will be.

Once again it really depends from department to department. However, ASU students are very laid back and open-mined. I was an international student and I felt very welcomed and managed to make lots of friends at Arizona State University. Of course, there are snobs and people that are less accepting at every school but I carefully selected the people I interacted with. As there are almost 65.000 students at ASU there is plenty of people to choose from. Most people wear shorts and T-shirts or polo shirts or jeans. The weather is really hot so really anything that is casual will do. I often joked that ASU students look like they all dress from Aeropostale or Abercrombie and Fitch :). There is definitely political awareness at ASU. There are always some protest or drive organized on the main lawn and I feel that most students are democrats but that might be more true about global studies students since Arizona is normally a republican state.

what kind of students would feel out of place at ASU? i don't know that any student would feel out of place - it's a pretty diverse campus, and very welcoming and accepting. what do most students wear to class? whatever the hell they want. and nobody cares what you're wearing, either. do different types of students interact? yes and no. i see a lot of blobs of similar-looking students walking around, but at the same time you see very colorful, heterogenous blobs too, and you never feel weird talking to someone who's different from you, or surprised if someone different from you talks to you. where are most ASU students from? arizona, seems like. but then there's also a lot of californians and east coasters. then it's maybe chicagoans and seattleites. coloradoans are few and far between... what financial backgrounds are most prevalent? i'd say, middle of the road for the most part - not primarily wealthy, not primarily poor.

I think students at Arizona State University are very proactive! If a student believes in something strongly he or she will most definitely stand up for it. I do not believe any student would feel out of place at ASU. There are so many different types of people and groups here that I believe it is nearly impossible to not be able to fit in somewhere. Students from different groups are able to interact with each other which is super cool! If one group is putting on a philanthropy or asking for donations most groups will usually come out and support them in any way possible. I think students are politically aware here; there are so many political clubs students can join if they want to learn more or if they just want to get involved. I have never heard students discuss how much they'll earn one day but I am sure some students do talk about it.