Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

I wish I had a stronger ability and will to ask questions and debate my ideas fully. Certainly, my first two years would have been richer if I would have understood the mathematical theories in its totality. Unfortunately, this was not the case, and I decided to focus on Spanish literature. It was studying independently where I gained both the ability and the will to procure the knowledge necessary to understand the literary works. Having a foundation in philosophy and psychology helped in strengthening the two important aspects I wish I would have known before I started my college career.

I wish I would have known to apply to more scholarships, because my first semester is really stressful. Being an art student does require many materials and the end result is a large bill. I would stress to myself that applying for many scholarships is never enough. Also, planning out my schedules, and knowing my next move would really help in the future. Money, is my main issue. It is quite stressful knowing that my loans may go unpaid for. But I can't let that happen. I just got to this milestone and there's another challenge ahead.

Before coming to this school, I wish somebody would have informed me of how unstructured it would be. Coming from a high school that had rigid teachers and faculty, along with a set curriculum that offered limited choices of classes, I was caught by surprise when I stepped foot at Arizona State. Consequently, I had to learn to manage my time more wisely for I had more homework outside of class than in class. I also learned to become more independent and self-motivated since my former instructors were no longer there to "hold my hand."

I came here because of the Herberger college of dance was highly rated in the country. I auditioned and was accepted. The program is very elitist in my opinion. I am also a Sundevil dancer (Co-captain) and in the DG sorority. They don't like anyone who is not strictly dance performance. I feel that I am not taken seriously there. I love the program and I the opportunities that I have experienced (eg) danced pregame and halftime for the Superbowl in Phoenix 2008, networking with awesome dancers, students from all over the country.

Before my attendance at Arizona State University as a freshman, I wish that I had known that we have a lot of time on our hands . Maybe this is tipical for first year students but of course I will soon find out by sticking around the campus. I work off campus nearby and really enjoy what I do because I feel like I'm just hanging out having fun. My involvement with high school activities are being directed towards work. I wish I had known that I was making a great dissision working away from school to releave homework stress.

The one thing I wish I knew before coming to ASU was to really try for as many scholarshps as possible. In high school, college seemed like more of a far-away concept than an actual place. I never truly grasped the importance of scholarships, so I didn't put one hundred percent into searching for them. Now, without enough scholarships to pay for room and board, I'm living at home and commuting to school. Without being able to stay in the campus atmosphere, it can feel like I'm outide looking in, not a part of the community.

I wish I would have known that the engineering advisors know even less about the program then students. 95% of the time the advisors are leading students in the wrong direction and forcing students to take classes that outside the program. Oh did I mention that advising is REQUIRED every semester before registering for classes, and the advisors must sign off on it. Any student must meet with their advisor in person to do this as well, no email support, inconvient office hours for students, and poor advising too.

I wish I had known how much more work college requires than high school. When I was in high school, I mostly just coasted through my classes without ever having to study much or do any homework. My college introductory classes (i.e. Introduction to Psychology) were also quite easy, but I was definitely taken aback once I got into my upper division courses. I learned the hard way that it is easy to get lured into a false sense of security during your freshman year, but it definitely increases in pace later.

Honestly having a good source of transportation on campus would have been a good asset to know when I started at ASU. I think it's important to know how to ride a bike, long board, scooter, etc... before attending ASU. I've realized that these sources of transportation can save a student a great amount of time in between classes. Since the university is so big, I think it's important to have a source of transportation to classes to make it less frustrating and to leave more study time between classes.

I wish I would have had the ability to know how much the peer pressure can get to a young student first attending college. I have a renewed sense of the importance of the degree and focusing on my grades to complete my degree with the highest GPA possible. When I was younger and not paying for the schooling myself, I did not respect the costs and the constraints put on my parents by paying for my education. I understand this better now and have performed exceptionally well in my studies.