Babson College Top Questions

To read at the library.

Babson is located in a sleepy town. Most activity takes place on campus, but sometimes students will travel into Boston (20-30 minutes by car) on weekends. Babson students party hard, every Thursday and Saturday. Greek life and sports teams usually host these parties, or other clubs in senior suites. In the spring, Babson is known for "SODA" or "Seniors out Drinking Again," where there are themed parties every night for a week in senior suites, by invitation only.

Allie

Greek Life, Division 3 Athletics, Club & Intramural Sports, Babson Dance Ensemble, various multicultural organizations

The largest student group on campus is the Babson Dance Ensemble, but we have a number of other popular activities. Many students are involved in athletics whether it is varsity, club, or intramural teams. Our student government association also has a strong presence on our campus. About 15{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our student body is involved with Greek life and in general, our Greek life is responsible for hosting a number of fun and worthwhile events. Residence life is an incredibly popular way to meet people as well as a hang out spot.

The most popular groups on campus are Babson players, sports team, and Babson dance ensemble. Alot of students at Babson decide to either play varisty, club, or intramural sports on campus. Typically students are really active and enjoy playing club rugby or varisty ice hockey. One group that I am really involved in is Women's Rugby. I have been involved with it for two years and it's how a met my closest friends at Babson. The culture that is associated with rugby is very similar to the bond that is experienced in a soriority, which is why its my favorite aspect of Babson. Since Babson is located outside of Wellesley, there is almost no crime on campus. Most students will leave their room doors open, unless they have one that automatically locks behind them.

Dale

There are several events put up by a diverse group of organizations. They can vary from multi-cultural shows, to dodgeball intramurals, to campus-wide parties, to anything of your liking. If you feel Babson doesn`t fulfill your needs, you can take the initiative to organize your own event, and very easily get funding for it.

Toby

Babson encourages the students to get involved and frequently has events for the students to get together. There are so many clubs, sports, and student run activities, no one is left out.

alison

Sports are pretty popular on campus. We're no BC or OSU but we have plenty of athletes in proportion to size of our school. As an athlete, I can say that it has changed my entire college career and creating one of the most fun social scenes possible. I love having my team there for me no matter what and practice serves as such a de-stresser from academics. Saturday nights are pretty much insane on campus and athletes are always celebrating something. Meanwhile there are Frat parties that are going and are usually fun but Greek life isn't major on campus. Its there...but not dominating. I love how we party on campus and aren't forced to leave if we want to drink. That's the beauty of Babson Park...not Wellesley. If you chose to leave campus, there is a shuttle or "drunk bus" to Boston which operates late into the night.

Jess

People complain about it, that we don't have anything to do on campus. But the reality is that Babson students just inherently like to complain. The Campus Activities Board puts on a lot of good concerts and there is always some type of multi-cultural event going on some place. Drinking in dorms tends to be the typical Thursday, Friday, Saturday night ritual. We have the pub open on Thursday which is popular and then once a month we have "Knight Parties" where people get drunk and dance and the police look on. The RAs are chill and Babo (the police) just want us to be safe. It all seems to work out.

There isn't all that much to do around campus. Most students go into Boston on the weekend.

Greek Life isn't an essential part of Babson's social life but it is a big part. Sororities have very good numbers but would rather the fraternities throw parties for them than mess up their own buildings. The two most popular fraternities are definitely TKE and SigEp. TKE is more of an "animal house" fraternity which is always a great time and ends up with the biggest damage charge's at the end of the year. SigEp considers themselves a more exclusive fraternity and aren't really as good at opening their doors to other's. If TKE's the rowdy fraternity from "Animal House" than SigEp is the preppy, and more entitled rival fraternity from the film. Knight Parties take place in Knight auditorium and are always a crazy time that few people actually remember. Drinking is definitely the big thing at Babson and Thursday and Saturday nights something always is going on. Smoking pot is not uncommon at all but given Babson's competitive nature you won't find many deadbeat stoners on campus.

most students have their doors closed...it's a very solitude lifestyle during the week...and doors are closed on weekend parties mostly to keep covert from the police....heck...people have their doors closed yet are communicating on messenger with people from rooms next door...it's pathetic really... athletic events aren't very popular...i went to a soccer game once...(emphasis on once) and there were more people supporting the other team....people are busy on campus doing the busy work that their professors assign them...people have too much stuff to do to be going to division 3 athletic games where none of the babson athletes are going to make it in the sports world...babson is pretty bad at sports anyway and none of these kids have a future in professional sports the dating scene is pathetic...most guys go to wellesley to get girls...and the lesbians there are more open than the girls here...the girls at babson are so stuck up and spoiled (paris hilton wannabe's) so i go to parties to get drunk...not to waste my time with babson girls... i met my closest friends from my dorm...people that were in north (the substance free dorm) seemed to gel and get alone well...i also formed friends with people who had similar interests and personality types...but i consider myself friends with most people i'd never be awake on 2 am on a tuesday...even if there was no school on wednesday...but if for some reason i were...i'd be pretty freakin trashed.... people party at least 3 times a week...except for the substance free kids...i do it to escape the stressful life of babson....and drink until i can't feel feelings anymore the fraternities and sororities aren't important on campus...they think they are...but none of the fraternities are even close to that at other schools (tke comes closest)...they are a bunch of rich kids who get together and party with people just like them....they charge outrageous fees to join the frats/sororities...and they are really just greek cliques...and most can be summed up in the following sigep = preppies tke = animal house party animals aepi = jews theta chi = grab bag (the most diverse group) kappa kappa gamma = hottest girls that know they are hot (spoiled paris hilton type) sigma kappa = girls that think they are hot...but aren't...act like they are hot (but didn't get into kappa jappa gamma chi-o = girls that aren't hot...but know they aren't hot...the nicest girls of the 3 groups by far....girls you'd look for to date...rather than to hook up with on a saturday night...when i'm not drinking my brains out...i'd watch sports games with friends while usually talking about how much i hate this school and that i can't wait until i graduate

Jerry

-most popular groups would probably be campus activities board, the dance ensemble, theater group -im not involved in a group, i say i don't have time but i do i just would rather focus on my studies because people are so competitive i have to keep up -students in dorms don't leave their doors open. depends on where you live i guess -athletic events aren't very popular unless it's a guy's game (such as guys basketball versus girls) -guest speakers come and if it's important enough people will go. not alot. if credit is given for a class you can bet the room will be full -people date within the campus but some tend to not want to do that because it's such a small campus, news travels fast and everyone knows your business -one of my closest friends is my roomate from freshman year, the others are guys that lived underneath our room freshman year, another was in my first year seminar group, and another i happened to friend on facebook before school started and we started talking from there. -greek life isn't that important, but they are on campus -had i been at school, i would've gone into boston to hang out with other friends (non babson) but if i stayed on campus i would've "partied" in my friends room( if you even want to call it that) -not much to do on any night that doesn't involve drinking -off campus i go to boston to other college parties, visit friends, shop, just enjoy boston and be AWAY from babson

Ana

No social life!

The easiest way to meet people on campus is either joining a sports team or a sorority or fraternity. Playing ice hockey helped me meet more people, but I met my closest friends through my sorority. The sports games have a fair amount of attendance, but it mostly depends on who the team is playing. There is usually something going on every weekend. Knight parties are a lot of fun, especially for Halloween.

Becky

Do not come here if you are looking for a party school. Alot of kids drink alot, but there are not parties. If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you're probably either in the 24 hour lounge, or just leaving Reynolds from studying for an exam. Or youre drinking with a few close friends in your dorm room or fraternity tower. Babson never has classes (unless there is an exam or presentation) on Fridays so Thursday is the biggest night on campus.

The frats/sororities think they're important, but they're a joke. They have parties occasionally, but they get busted pretty quickly. The school has gotten better with the shuttles into Boston on weekends, so that's always a good option. However, there's a lot of work and during weeknights people are rarely partying until senior year. Having Fridays off is great, and it makes Thursdays another weekend night.

A social life at Babson, ha, that's funny. But seriously, it is a bit difficult to have a social life since it isn't a lively campus often. My biggest advice is to join some organizations and groups right away in order to expand your student directory. It makes it easier to get to know upperclassmen and get friends that can no doubt tell you important tidbits of info and do some favors. A lot of people form tight groups of friends but once you are in then you can ussually look to them to find stuff to do. With a little bit of investigation and research one can ussually find something to do everyday, meet other people, go drinking etc. Once, that starts your social life takes a leap in activity because Babson is so small, everybody knows everybody real fast.

There are many events you can attend, especially relating to business, though they are less common though still very existent, outside of this sphere. I am in Greek Life which opens many doors for fun. Fraternities: Sig Ep- You need a large ego to join. Most members are preppy and admittance is easy if you portray desirable qualities. They have a very weak brotherhood compared to the other fraternities and are looked down upon for this. TKE- Guys out to have fun. They party hard but some girls regard them as creepy and/or untrustworthy. AEPI- A Jewish organization. You will find a large variety of personalities here. Theta Chi- Is largely on the rise and comes out ahead in most areas due to having a have a very ethnically, economically, skill-based, personality, ect... diversified and balanced body. Sororities: These tend to change and are largely based off their members. They are generally categorized by the attractiveness of their girls which I find pretty shallow. Beware of "group think" and social games.

I am involved with Sigma Kappa. Students do not leave their dorm room doors open. If you are in organizational housing then of course, but not in the big big dorms. Athletic events are very popular, and so are guest speakers. Babson just had a beauty and the beast producation and it broke sales records. Dating scene is okay. There are a lot of focused business MEN. Everyone goes to pub on campus on Thursday nights. On friday there is live music. People party a good amount. I party almost every night. Try to take m-w off. Greek life I feel is VERY important. There is a sense of community within itself and you get to meet upclassment and underclassmen, expecially boys! Last weekend I went to a mixer with a fraternitie, played in a beer pong tournment, went into Boston for lunch, worked on some homework, went to the dance ansemble, played basketball, watched basketball and more school owrk. On a Saturday night you can go into boston see a game, play, go to a museum, hear a lecture, and see a comedy show. Off campus I work, and shop. hehe.

KJ

Babson night life is determined by the sports team throwing the party that night or the Fraternity hosting the themed party that night. After spring break, SODAS start which is a different themed party every night in a different senior suite. Knight parties happen once a month and are like a huge sweaty high school dance with booze and a lot more making out on the dance floor. Knight parties go form 10-2am and there is a beer garden for those 21+ and most people go after 12. We don't have classes on Friday so we have a 3 day weekend every week. Thursday night is Pub night and everyone goes to the campus Pub and there is a DJ there and people who are over 21 can drink. The drunk bus goes into Boston to drop 21+ students off at the bars and picks them up at 2am when the bars close.

Torry

I hope you like studying, there is not much else to do but study and get drunk. there are some good speakers, but in all seriousness, well I have more fun having surgery.

The social life at Babson is not very good. We have 3 day weekends which is great but a lot of people go into Boston and don't really stay on campus. I think that the spring concert needs to be worked a little better. This year it was someone who nobody really knew. I wish that it was more like a more social college like St. Lawrence.

-SGA and CAB are popular and control most of the events on campus -a lot of people leave their dorms unlocked -baseball and hockey games are well attended -if I'm awake at 2am on a tuesday im most likely doing homework -knight parties and spring weekend are great -some people party every night, others just weekends, others not at all -greek life is huge -without drinking...there is not too much to do around here

sports teams and greek life

All students do is study.

Babson organizes many activities on campus. During finals, food and treats are given to students as a study break. There are parties on campus, Babson also has its own pub. Most students either go to dorm parties or go into Boston/Providence on the weekend. Normally you wouldn't go out on a weekday. If you are up at 2AM you are probaly doing your homework.

Athletics on campus are a lot of fun. The athletic student body supports all other teams. We have a pub on campus that students go to throughout the week, particularly on Thursday (because we never have friday classes) nights, and it is a really good time.

The social life is not too good in the college, Lots of people leave campus on weekends..you have a choice of going into boston or some place closer..its not the best place for socializing.

Babson has all of the usual varsity sports teams, aside from football. There are tons of different clubs and intramural sports that you could get involved in. It is entirely possible to balance the work load with a varsity sport and still join other organizations, such as Greek life or a club sport. Babson has never been really big on sports and school spirit, but this year it has been promoted more than ever. People have been attending sporting events more than ever and the cheerleaders are everywhere for campus events. I met my closest friends in the very first week of school through orientation and different organized activities. I have also met unbelievable people through different organizations such as cheerleading and my sorority, Chi Omega. There is always someone to do something with if you want to. On the weekends, there is ALWAYS something going on. The Campus Activities Board organizes events all the time. Each month there is a themed "Knight Party" in our Knight Auditorium and I like to compare it to a middle school dance, college style. The last from 10pm until 2am, so you can imagine everyone's state of mind at that point on a Saturday night. Also, there is a really nice quad being put in this summer right in front of Frat row so there will be all kinds of events there. In the fall and spring, people are always outside grilling and just having a good time with friends. Even doing work outside on our beautiful campus is fun. There is a shuttle bus into Boston on weekends, but there is also a T station right down the street that you could easily walk to. It's really easy to visit friends right in boston or have them come visit you.

Rory

The most popular thing to do on the weekends is go to the frats -TKE, SigEp during the weekdays there are pub nights but are only fun if you are of age to drink. The greek life on campus has a lot of fun even tho there are only 7 greek organizations on campus. Mostly students hang in suites or have dorm room parties. Students in dorms usually keep their doors closed unless you live in a special interest community or tower where you know everyone and feel more comfortable leaving it open. It depends on the community or where you live. Athletic events are not very popular unless there is a BBQ or giveaways available as an incentive for students to come. Intramural sports are always fun to participate in. At 2am on a tuesday, mostly i'm trying to finish a lab, paper, hw, or studying. A lot of students go home if there is a holiday or a 4 day weekend. Fridays, usually people dont' have class so thursday is a big party night as well as saturdays. Knight parties once a month are somewhat fun if you are trashed before hand. Saturday nights people usually hang out in their towers/dorms/suites or go into boston. Late night reynolds helps with food late at night. People mostly party on the weekends occassionally a pub night but that i feel is experienced more by upperclassmen who dont' have such a high workload. Go to Boston instead!!!

Because we are such a small community, everybody is incredibly involved in sports and clubs on campus. Our student government and campus activites board are constantly planning fun activities, bring speakers to campus and making sure that there is always something to do on-campus. At the same time, Boston is 14 miles away, and there is a free shuttle service, so there is always something to do. The dorms are friendly and relatively small. Most of the partying consists of suite-parties (usually run by sports teams) and fraternity parties (of which about 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body goes greek). All parties are relatively inclusive, though often a person will choose either suite or fraternity parties and not go to the others.

The Babson campus has numerous organizations and clubs. Students are bound to find a group that is based around something they enjoy doing. There are four fraternities and three sororities on campus. Joining one of these chapters is not necessary in having an exciting social life. Babson also provides a shuttle into Boston each weekend. If one wishes to stay on campus there is a pub which is open Monday-Friday until midnight. Other than that Babson hosts many shows and once a month has a dance party which the majority of the student body attends.