Bennington, VT

Bennington College

« See more reviews of Bennington College

Most people wear skinny jeans & listen to Animal Collective, since that's apparently what being a "hipster" is. Personally, I don't buy into it. I also don't care enough. Some students here are rich, & some are also art students. Again, I don't care. They're paying for my tuition, so thank you, rich art students. Of course some people here are pretentious & elitist. You're going to find that anywhere. It's just more noticeable here, since it's such a small school. But that certainly does not exemplify Bennington in the slightest. I have so many friends who went to traditional universities, & think I'm a cop out because I went to an "art school." First of all, this isn't an art school. You don't get a bachelor of fine arts. You get a bachelor in liberal arts & whatever you concentrate in. Second, I think my friends who went to big universities are the cop outs. They can sit in a huge lecture hall, or skip the class, & spend four years as a number & do fine. You can't do that here. You work hard or you fail. End of story.

As with all stereotypes, all of these hit the mark on some people, but the campus is made up of people from all walks of life, not just the hippie-yuppie-rich-kid crowd.

They are accurate to a certain degree, if you want to find those things at the college, you will.

yes.