Spearfish, SD
Black Hills State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Black Hills State University

Tabatha

The location I attended was a Community Center so other colleges could take coursese there as well.

If I could advise myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to start my search early. I would start by searching for colleges that offer the degree I would want to achieve. I would then narrow my search down to location where I would want to go. After that I would submit my applications to any and all the colleges I would be interested in attending. After getting accepted I would be searching for as many possible scholarships, grants, and other funds I could possibly use to help with furthering my education. I would like to visit the colleges before orientation. I would advise myself to explore the town as well as the campus. It would be a good idea to check out the statistics for students that graduate from the school versus those who attend the school. Keeping track of dates and deadlines is another key point in the college search. Making sure all deadlines are met will help insure a better experience and a lot less stress. Having a schedule of when things are due and when I am able to complete this tasks would have made finding the right college for me much easier.

My school was built environmentally friendly and was brand new!

YaraNicole

Yara Nicole, I know you have Senioritis, but don’t you fret. I’ve found a cure! Take a large lack of college money, a small amount of time, and a heaping helping of reality and SNAP OUT OF IT! Now that you’ve been cured, you can get down to work. Fill out those scholarship applications. Study for your S.A.T. You’ve worked hard in school and you’re letting the important stuff slide right by. Starting college is a little scary and stressful to say the least, but fortunately it gets easier as you go. Take it day by day. Stay focused. If you have questions, ask. If you need help, find it. Eat healthy and sleep well. Trust me, it helps. One last thing to never forget; tomorrow is a new day, a fresh start, and another opportunity to make the best of yourself. You can do this!

Cynthia

Offers classes on Ellsworth AFB as well as on campus. School specializes in mining. Sociology department is awesome.

Take the scholarship and take your education seriously--it can really make a difference in future outcomes. Even if you are unsure about your career path, college opens your eyes to new possibilities. Each course adds a new 'lens' through which you view the world. Make each course count and do your level best. Friends made in college can become your professional network once you reach the work force.

If you are looking for a metropolitan area, this school is not for you. University is located in beautiful, rugged, western state where the deer and buffalo roam.

Tiffany

We have the best buffet line compared to any college that I have been at. The some of the professors came to the orientation and were very honor to be there. The professors make you believe that you can accomplish any goal that you have. The class size is just right and gives you more one on one with the professors. We only have a couple of lecture halls compared to other schools that have many. Overall I believe it was the best choice for me compared to any of the other schools I visited.

If I could go back to my last year of high school and give myself advice I would have to say, “Do not worry so much!” I was very scared to make the transition from high school to college. I was doing everything I could to be as prepared as possible from getting outstanding grades to applying for scholarships to attending many college orientations. Many of my high school teachers seemed to make me a little fearful of the switch. They would say, “Those are the grades that really matter.” and “You need to be completely focused on studying because many events will want to pull you away.” I should have known to trust myself a little more. I have always been very anal about my grades and any work that I turn in. In addition, for the most part I am very focused on studying and put that before my job and my fun time. I think of school as if it is my future because that is what school is really all about.

My school is very involved in the lives of their students. The teachers are always there to help, whether for course work or problems somewhere else. The staff are very friendly and want you to feel at home. We have the best buffet line compared to any college that I have been at. The teacher provide a fair amount of homework to students to help us prepare for tests and quizzes. The class size is also small for more one on one time for questions with the teacher. Overall, I believe this is one of the best schools out there.

Lesley

When life throws you lemons make lemonade. In high school you excelled academically but you will have a harder time in college, due to unforeseen circumstances and real life situations with work, family, finances and friends. In high school you are more removed from these real world problems and it is easier to focus on your studies. That will not be the case in college. Overcome your introverted ways and SPEAK to your professors. They're not as intimidating as they seem 1 on 1. It is very important for your future education and graduate school to develop long standing relationships with your college professors. Utilize studying in groups and test reviews put on by the professors, they are irreplaceable. Have fun, but not too much fun. There will always be time for socializing but school should be your number one priority and "everybody is doing it" is NOT an excuse. Enjoy college while it lasts. You will look back on it as one of your fondest memories and establish life long friendships. Even though you are tired of studying and four years seems like an eternity... it is over in the blink of an eye.

Someone who likes a small town atmosphere with a desire for many outdoor recreational activities. This university provides small classroom settings where students can have alot of 1 on 1 time with there professors and advisors.

The degree that I received, environmental biology is very desirable to employers. Also, the town of Spearfish is small and safe, but there are alot of activities especially outdoors.

Natalie

Black Hills State University is a small community where your professors get to know you and truly care about you and your studies.

The semester that I've had at Black Hills State University has given me one thing predominately: strength. I'm depressed and in need of professional help psychologically and mentally, and my time at BHSU has given me a chance to heal because I have access to that help. Although classes gave me quite a struggle in my first semester, the fact that I passed them with flying colors gives me the courage to continue on with my education. The staff at BHSU are very caring towards students who are open and honest with what is going on, and if it wasn't for them, I am certain that I would not have done as well as I did.

I wish that I had researched the school more before I went to it, because I was unaware that BHSU only provided Spanish as a minor--no other languages.

Kelani

Being in college for a year, I have gotten more independence. I also know that every semster that I have finished is another step to my carrer goal, which is to become a registered nurse. To me, it has been really valuable to attend collge so that I can make a better future for not only myself, but for my family. My grandparents has been taking care of me since I was 2 years of age. They planned on retireing this year but because I am in college they felt that I need to focus on school and not get a job so they are working to pay for the left over of my tution and books. I am getting my degree to finally take care of them so that they can finally retire. I am also a single mother and I would love to prove to my son that you can still reach your goals even with bumps in the road, like getting pregant at a young age. This scholarship will help pay for the left over of the tution that I have to pay out of pocket and it would cover my book expenses for two semesters.

The surrounding area is beautiful. The black hills have lots of things to do.

The surrounding area is beautiful. The black hills have lots of things to do.

I got 2 Bachelor of Science Degrees in Professional Accountancy and Business Management. I received a job with a multinational entity upon graduation. I can now go back to college for my master's in accountancy and eventually PhD.

That I would break up with my fiance after I had already moved here for him.

Caitlin

I would be more involved in school activities. I didn't participate in an school activities and it would look better on my college applications and I think more activities would make me a stronger person, less shy and it would have helped me make friends in college. I would have also took the time to fill out as many scholarship applications as I could. I spent my time hanging out with friends and neglecting my schooling. When it came time to go to college, and it was even community college, I wasn't aware of how expensive school was and the amount of scholarships out there if I took the time to fill them out. I would have taken more AP classes. I decided to have an easy senior year instead of working on harder classes that would have helped me in the long run.

Black Hills State is a smll school and would be good for students who prefer the small classes and mor individual attention if needed. I have only attended this university durng this spring semester, but would suggest it if you like the cold weather and the small school setting.

I brag about the facilities we are given as students. The dorms are very nice, a big athletic facility and a new large student union.

Matt

My experience at this college has been interesting, but I eventually found out that I need to go somewhere else to fulfill my career goals. Never the less I would tell me this: "You going to find that you want to do something else with your life. Your going to want to be an artist, my boy. Even though this will occur, go to this college, this 'Black Hills State", anyway. You will meet great people and have experiences that you will never forget, and lessons that you never knew you needed. The only thing I want you to do different is express youself more. Proclaim what you like with pride. Show off your art with pride. Show YOU YOURSELF with pride. You do this, and you can leave this college in 2 years with not only a smile on your face, but with great confidence in your abilities and your person as a whole."

Small pond feel. The small town and the small capus allowes you learn the town and everyone very quickly, thus giving you a close knit relationship.

There's not a terrible lot to do if your not a nature person. With this being primarilly a education college, if your someone who wants to be a teacher, but are not an outdoor extreamist, then it limits what you can do here.

Black Hills State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.