Brown University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Brown University

Seth

Thanks for the great Tour!

aliya

Brown University is the perfect combination of many things! I am a Computer Science major, so I definitely appreciate our stellar Computer Science program. There are many different options for new and skeptical students, as well as experienced programmers. I also love Brown's commitment to politics, art, and literature ... everyone has many interests!

Rebecca

The students and professors here are all incredible. Everyone belongs to groups that work to improve life at Brown and its surrounding community. I actually overheard a student say he decided not to join a certain program house because the house only partied, doing nothing to contribute to Brown, Providence, or the world. A group that only parties would be sought after at most college campuses but not Brown.

My experience at Brown was very positive, and since graduating, I continue to reminisce about my days at Brown. If you are looking to attend Brown or are currently studying at Brown, please make sure you are taking full advantage of the plethora of resources and opportunities available to you there. I wish I had done more there.

Felipe

People are so much happier here than in Boston or surroundings.

Zachary

Brown University became my dream school during the application process as I fell in love with the campus and surrounding area, as well as the culture of the school. Contrary to popular belief, Brown students are very friendly, easygoing people in general, as opposed to the stuffy common Ivy League stereotype. As a rising senior, I now have a more realistic understanding of what Brown has to offer. It's not perfect. It deals with the difficulty of all mid-sized schools that some introductory lectures are large and feel impersonal - at the same time, there have always been office hours and projects to get to know professors better. There are organizational inefficiencies, such as the rotation of professors teaching classes like Electricity and Magnetism as opposed to a solid constant professor - however, I have never felt my education in an area was inadequate (save for one differential equations class - but the professor was so lenient that it wasn't too bad). At most, I have thought it would have been better to emphasize different material, which is not the worst criticism I could have. Outside of STEM, I have had the chance to take classes in Greek Classics, education, music theory, and even the fiction of C.S. Lewis thanks to the Open Curriculum. Each of these classes was a special experience that helped me grow as a person, sometimes more than my core classes. I've also had a lot of flexibility with requirements, allowing me to take a graduate toxicology seminar and a Solidworks class as a biomedical engineering major last semester. Overall, Brown has lots of things to do but you certainly have to sink your teeth into the opportunities. I am very reserved by nature and so because community building was limited in the beginning, it took me quite some time to find consistent, meaningful friendships. However, I am much happier now that I am more involved in different ways. I would recommend Brown to anyone who doesn't get into a better program elsewhere - and potentially to some of those people who do. After all, I chose Brown BME over Johns Hopkins and along the way, I learned about my love for teaching through my work with the tutoring program. I may even end up a teacher because of it.

Mian

I've had great experience studying in brown university. The faculty is great.

Alisa

I see Brown as an engaging place. You will meet incredible people, have many a midnight conversation about the meaning of a certain blue bear, and start to learn more about what you want your role as a student, citizen and human being to be. You know, general university things.

Beatriz

I love this university because its key word is inclusion. We have a space for every type of person and the campus is a space for everyone. President Paxton is in support of safe spaces and making our university inclusive and you can see that in administrative efforts and some of the many clubs on campus. Classes are extremely diverse, there are always tons of quality events going on, registration is convenient, and the qualities of the students in this school are amazing.

ELISA

Actually, I am neither an alumnus nor a visitor. i am only a 20er who is determined to apply to Brown. I gathered information from internet and some brown alumni, and I am deeply attracted in many ways: its open curriculum, its free academic atmosphere, its attention to students' personalities, its geological location and so on. Wish my dream came true!!

Sol

I'm absolutely in love with Brown and I'm so glad I came here. The people are incredibly intelligent, friendly, and talented, and I learn as much from them as I do from the wonderful faculty. The campus is very cozy and small, and the facilities are very well maintained. Overall amazing!

Mingyi

Over the past four months I've been a freshman at Brown, it's certainly become near and dear to my heart. Out of all the campuses I've visited while on my college visits in HS (and that's at least 20 colleges), Brown has to have one of the nicest college populations. People here aren't afraid to offer help whether that be in classes, in networking, in extracurricular activities, in finding a building (happened to me lots of times #cluelessfreshie) and even in finding a great restaurant nearby. Also, the campus is just divine, all year round. Whenever I walk around, I just feel super blessed to be able to call Brown my home.

David

I love Brown for what it offers in work opportunities, chances offered to travel, and its wide acceptance of people from various nations and races. I also adore how wonderful the academics are, although often very, very challenging. However, the students and the environment can be very hypocritical and somewhat unbearable. While I appreciate political activism, sometimes it feels like the students are too lazy to actually go out and do active volunteer work to help out the disenfranchised, so they just go to a rally to shout about how tough life is for other people. The cognitive dissonance is astounding. And furthermore, they often make rallies and marches, but they do so in Providence, which is a city that is quite similar in politics to the college itself. So, it is often as if the students are speaking to a brick wall. If you want a college that is politically active, then this college is for you, but be wary of how poorly focused our activism is.

Jake

Overall, I think Brown University is an amazing place. It's in a great location, right next to RISD in case you're interested in art classes, the people are friendly, and the open curriculum is amazing. I love it. I think that anyone who has Brown on their radar should apply just for the sake of applying if they are interested.

Alexa

Overall, Brown University is a very academically challenging school with basically limitless opportunities for extracurricular activities. Providence is a great city with a lot to do, plus New York and Boston are close if you need more excitement. The students are generally free-spirited and politically active, but all types can be found here.

Rohan

Brown University is my dream college. I want to get admission to Brown's PLME program. I have completed Brown Universities Summer Program and fell in love with the college. I am a straight A GATE Student in my Junior High School Year. I am ranked 2nd out of 1024 students with GPA 4.8. I have 7 APs and 8 college courses for Fall 2018. I am also a student Ambassador in Norco Community College. Once I went there for the Summer Class, I realised that all the students were equally or more smarter than me. I loved how the professor was involed in every student, He taught us to think outside the box. I liked the studios atmosphere. Overall I would say Brown in best college. I hope I get admission to Brown's PLMe program.

Olivia

If you are a rich spoiled girl or a boy, you will find plenty other here and will be very happy. If you want to be with serious people taking academics seriously and doing serious things with their lives, maybe go to MIT or something instead.

Jae

I love Brown University! I am an athlete from Florida, I have been blessed to go to such a great institution. It's far from home, but when I am away from Brown, my team and all of the people I have built relationships with I feel like I am away from home. I love how much I get to travel and see! Snow is cool, literally I am frozen for much of the school year but after years of sweaty upon stepping outside, freezing is a nice change! Brown offers amazing courses, great athletic opportunities, and so many other extra curricular activities, I doubt I will get a chance to see them all before I graduate. I am the first person in my family to attend an Ivy League school, I was very nervous and felt unprepared. After completing a year, all of my fears have faded. There is no doubt in my mind that my teachers, advisors, peers and coach will do the most in their power to help me succeed. While Brown is a very expensive school, I do not regret committing to the Brown Women's Varsity Track and Field Team on October 29, 2018! Thank you!

Vanesa

Brown University is the hub of the curious, intellectual, and free-spirited. The student body is composed of diverse, accomplished students, who each are extremely passionate about their interests. Most students hold passions across a wide spectrum of fields. There is no mold of the "ideal student"; the same girl that sits in your "Israel's Wars" class may also be in your "Linear Algebra" class. Because of the freedom of the open curriculum, you meet people who are not only knowledgeable, but eager to expand their perspectives. The best part of Brown is the ability to talk to your peers not only about the strategy in Afghanistan, but the psychology of memes and the politics of the illicit trade.

Hanna

Brown University is overall one of the best adventures that I have embarked on. The student body is so diverse, I'm not only learning more from classes but also from my peers in an every day setting. Brown is also truly a stress-free environment. Even during finals, when everyone is busy, cramming, and stressed, the general atmosphere is relaxed and happy- feels right at home.

Josiah

Brown University is a perfectly-sized university situated ideally on College Hill. The community is uplifting and the people you meet here all have a fascinating story to share. The emphasis on meaningful learning (and not just grades) promotes a sense of purity in my intellectual and growth. The quads are amazingly beautiful, I often look around and think to myself: I am sooo grateful to be here!

Evan

Overall I love the school! However there are a few things that I would change. I am a Republican and although I am open to discussion and new ideas, I sometimes feel that I am attacked for my political views or who I voted for. Plus, since I am not from the East or West Coast, it was sometimes hard to relate to my peers because I was one of the few people from “Middle America”. However, people here are very friendly for the most part and I truly believe that Brown has allowed me to come out of my shell. I can’t see myself anywhere else in my life and I can’t wait to see what the next three years have in store for me.

Evan

Alexandria

In my opinion, Brown University is, to put it frankly, the best school in the nation. From the stellar professors and small class sizes to the engaged, welcoming student body, I couldn't wish for a better college. The open curriculum allows for the freedom to explore your interests and find your passions while also trying new things that broaden your perspective on the world. At Brown, students are friendly and encouraging, and everyone wants you to succeed and be happy. We truly are the happiest campus!

Andrew

Brown is a place to learn, have fun, and grow as a person. You'll learn about new subject matters you didn't know exist and study HARD at from Sunday to Friday. Then, you get to meet amazing people and have the best experiences of your life with these people over the years. Finally, you'll learn from people about society and how to become woke. All in 4 years.

Alexandra

Coming from Ohio, Brown has been a shock -- in a good way. People are involved intellectually and passionate about social justice. The food and housing is meh, but come for the academics and student body. The open curriculum is perfect to explore a multitude of topics, and the student body will expand your perspectives and world views.

Teststar

gud skool

Michelle

I attended Brown University's summer program for two weeks, [email protected] It might not be very similar or it might be very similar to the actual school year. Either way, there were always events going on, so many nice people willing to direct others to wherever they needed to go and many opportunities to visit Providence.

Lucas

It is absolutely fabulous and I am so happy that I chose to apply to this school ED. I cannot wait to attend next year. I eagerly wait the outstanding academics and the endless extracurricular opportunities. The people at Brown seem like a special group. They are diverse, thoughtful, and informed. I feel that my four years at Brown are going to round me into becoming a complete person.

Olivia

I love nearly every aspect of this school. The students are academically focused but still maintain a high level of socialization and fun. The classes and professors are engaging, and there is something for everyone. The open curriculum makes it a wonderful place to try classes you've been interested in but don't necessarily need for your major. I feel safe and supported (physically, emotionally, and academically,) by all the programs available on campus like safewalk, CAPS, and the deans. The only thing I could wish to improve is attendance at sporting events. I love attending games, and think it would be more fun if more people went, got into school spirit, and tailgated.

Eli

Everyone says they have a great time at Brown, and I finally understand where this hype comes from after my first semester. Brown is a wonderful place to study, make connections, and spend this important four years of your life. Studying can become fun when everyone is doing it, and you're doing it in the company of close, supportive friends. Conversations are incredible--much better than high school. Discussion can be philosophical, practical, academic, light-hearted. Regardless, it usually feels intellectual. There is a work-hard play-hard attitude, as weekends and Wednesday lights are usually quite lit unless it is during finals. The one somewhat negative thing I've found at school: conversation CANNOT be politically incorrect or jokingly politically incorrect. There are social warriors always listening, ready to pounce. Speech is certainly limited, but maybe for the best. People are very accepting, friendly, and open, so perhaps the political sensitivity is making a utopia in a sense. I'm not entirely sure. Regardless of your opinion on political correctness, Brown is definitely a school that everyone should consider if they have the means. I feel confident that I made the right decision coming here, as I cannot see myself having as good and formative of an experience anywhere else.

Kimberly

As a current medical student at Brown's Alpert Medical School, having attended the institution as an undergraduate as well, I have many great things to say about this university. Comparing my undergraduate experience to my current classmates, I can say confidently that the academics at Brown were superior to many of their undergraduate educations in terms of preparing us for the rigorous science curriculum of medical school. Brown's professors were very accessible, as were the many other teaching resources including graduate teaching assistants, undergraduate tutors, and science center open tutoring hours. Although I can't speak as much to the arts and humanities, I know that the faculty and class offerings are diverse with small average class sizes. Brown's "open curriculum" makes most classes accessible and available to anyone willing to take them, regardless of their intended concentration (major) or class level. It also encourages people to study and take classes in areas in which they may be unfamiliar and outside of their comfort zone, especially given the "pass/fail" grading options. For instance, I took a comparative literature class "pass/fail" as a junior simultaneously taking microbiology, physiology, and preparing for the MCAT. This grading option relieved some of the pressure I felt when completing assignments for the literature class but really allowed me to focus on enjoying the lectures and content of our readings, rather than focusing on grades and evaluations. Socially, I think that Brown offers social circles for students from all backgrounds with different interests. While Greek life is an option, only about 10% of the undergraduate population participates in these organizations. Athletics - both varsity and club sports - are pretty popular as well. Often times, varsity teams will function as their own smaller social circles and may even be slightly "exclusive" for this reason. Providence serves as a great "college city" in that it's not big enough to take away from the life and activities of the university itself but provides a great backdrop for student life. There are many wonderful restaurants (both close to and off campus), shops, museums (such as the RISD museum, down the street from Brown), and nearby beaches and parks. Brown students often live off campus for senior year, and housing is easy to find and quite affordable compared to many other east coast cities. Overall, Brown University has so much to offer to its students. The academic excellence and flexibility along with the diversity of extra-curricular opportunities (volunteering, advocacy, arts, sports, research) lends itself to graduating knowledgeable, well-rounded, interesting, and involved students ready to work hard and positively influence their future communities and work places.

Daniel

The hidden gem of medical education, Brown has a relatively small class and extremely wide range of resources available to every student that attends. Instead of the traditional medical student factory that many schools are, Brown takes a unique and vested interest in every student passing through, as well as their unique goals and desires, and works to help students achieve their wildest dreams, both in and outside of medicine. Terrific school with a great match list as well.

Joshua

The vibe at this school is very different from it's Ivy League counterparts. Far more collaborative and greater academic freedom to pursue whatever interests you. Brown does not have many graduate schools, so faculty and staff are very much undergraduate focused. There are many professional opportunities as well, with many of the big banks, consulting firms (founder of McKinsey is a Brown grad), medical schools, etc. regularly coming to campus to recruit.

I have really regretted coming to Brown and strongly considered switching to another school. The quality of the facilities is very low, especially dorms and food. But the worst surprise was the low quality of the classes and teaching. This wasn't universal, there were some exceptional teachers. But overall, there's a pattern of the classes being disproportionately difficult with poor support offered and the actual existing support offered being unhelpful. A lot of the professors seem to enjoy making their classes as difficult as they can, focusing on difficulty instead of the quality of what is being taught. I have seen this across domains, in psychology, computer science, economics, chemistry, and biology. You should only go to Brown if you are exceptionally good at pure academic skills and don't expect to need much support and help.

Carlos

Brown University offers its students a rigorous and well rounded education, offering a diverse array of courses in the sciences and humanities. The Open Curriculum allows students to take greater initiative in their education and pursue new or interesting academic interests. Despite its reputation, the academic and social environment at Brown is far more collaborative than most top institutions.