Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

You know you want to come. :P The Dorms are VERY nice. People say our dorms look like castles from the outside, and they feel like it from the inside. The rooms tend to be spacious, and the laundry is FREE. Do you know how much money that's saved me, not having to pay for laundry? Bryn Mawr also hosts a great sense of community. The campus is gorgeous. We have a building that people claim appears to have come straight out of Harry Potter. We have a three-college consortium with Haverford College (our former Brother school), and Swathmore College. We also have ties with UPenn under the "Quaker Consortium". Under duress and unique circumstances, a student can even take a class at Villanova University. We have a patron goddess (Athena). You can't tell me that isn't cool.

This is a small, tightknit campus, of only women. But there are lots of school like that. What makes BMC unique, is that every woman has something to offer, and BMC teaches us how to show the world what we can do. We are encouraged to be crazy, to be studious, to be passionate, to be silly, to be aware. When women graduate from bryn mawr, they leave with the drive to make change in the world. Life isn't all about money, status, material things, but the legacy we leave behind. No one ever forgets a Bryn Mawr woman :)

The atmosphere of the school tends to coddle people; I do not feel that I've met many people who are really growing up here (In other words, I know a lot of girls, but not many women). I've found a small group of very interesting, wonderful people, and the academics are, by and large, excellent; these are the only things that have kept me from transferring. This seems to be a common sentiment here, actually, despite the reports I keep hearing of people professing their overwhelming adoration for the school.

The sense of campus-wide camaraderie is truly rare. Also, the emphasis on 'bread and roses': the students here love beauty and wisdom and justice. They are interested in social rights, and art, and economics...they are interested in everything. The tolerance is also special. It is equally acceptable to spend your saturday night in the library (for fun!) or go our clubbing on a tuesday night...and both can be equally fun and busy!

I remember reading an alum review when I was trying to decide where to go to school, and it said that Bryn Mawr would push you to your limits, challenge and change you. I now understand what they meant, and I mean that I've been pushed to the edge academically, idealogically, socially- but I'm so happy that I came here because I've changed for the better.

The food here is horrible and very repetitive. I have visited schools like Virginia Tech and Bryn Mawr really needs to take a look at what they are serving their kids compared to other school. Virginia Tech had amazing food and made me wonder why a school like Bryn Mawr can't serve similar food on a smaller scale.

You have to be a very tough woman if you come here and you must know that Bryn Mawr is not an easy school, academically or socially. Don't come here expecting to party a lot and meet a lot of guys, that is just not going to happen. If you come here you must be really sure you want an all women environment.

My favorite place on cmapus: The cloisters. Very pretty, very relaxing. The entire complex of Thomas Great Hall, Carpenter Library, Quita Wood Ward Room, London Room and everything else is a great place to study or just hang out. Goodhart is very nice as well. Now I'm beginning to miss the place...

Traditions! There are four per year, specificially designed to bring the entire campus together to celebrate each class and the camaraderie between all of us. Each one is a unique task that involved the whole school, and at the end, we all spend time together to celebrate our friendships!

Take advantage of the resources you have being on a college campus and in an educational environment. Libraries, guest speakers, discounted events, drinking and not having to drive anywhere, living next door to your friends, having classes with 12 or fewer people...