Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

A variety of stereotypes exist within and outside of the student body. 1. Bryn Mawr students are all women. 2. If you're straight you won't be for long at Bryn Mawr. 3. All Bryn Mawr students are rich & snobby. 4. Bryn Mawr students can't talk to men. 5. Bryn Mawr women are easy and deprived of sexual attention/activity and will throw themselves at any male on campus. 6. Bryn Mawr students are smart (not usually a bad stereotype...)

It depends on who you talk to, because stereotypes about us run the gamut from large, mannish rugby players to spoiled, overly studious girls who never leave their castle-like dorms . Bryn Mawr is also known as being the most intellectual of the former Seven Sisters. Where I am from, however, most people have not heard of Bryn Mawr. Those who have, however, never fail to be impressed.

Bryn Mawr students all fall under a similar stereotype that is usually cast upon all students who attend an all-women's college, in that they are thought to be either gossipy, rich, snobby, hairy, PC activists, butch, or queer. Among the tri-co, Bryn Mawr girls are also known to be the desperate oddballs who fling themselves upon every guy spotted on campus.

The stereotypes are numerous and disheartening. They all showcase the college at its perceived worst. Some stereotypes are: Everyone's a Lesbian. By proxy, everyone hates men. We're all Feminazis that go around unshaven. Either that, or everyone's a rich snob. Everyone's catty because it's a woman's college. Those are all the primary ones.

One stereotype is that everyone at Bryn Mawr is a lesbian. Another stereotype is that everyone is way too intellectual and that they never talk about anything but school. A third one would be that no one at Bryn Mawr goes to parties--we just study all the time.

Competitive yet gentle~honor code does somehow restrict the competition of grades among students, yet the student group is still very competitive in whatever field. I know couple upperclass women who are really capable of doing whatever they put hands on.

That all Bryn Mawr students must be lesbians or bisexual since they decided to go to a single sex college. Bryn Mawr classes are easier than at other colleges since they are designed around how women think and work.

The two biggest stereotypes, in my opinion, are: (A) That all Mawters are "experimental," meaning lesbian, bi, transexual or something else and (B) That all Mawters study too much for their own good.

A lot of people see Bryn Mawr students as social hermits because we bury ourselves in our academics. Then there's the idea that, because we go to an all-girls' school, we must all be lesbian.

Many people believe that: we are all lesbians. we are all crazy feminists. we are incapable of having fun. we are all left wing socialist democrats who want the USSR back in power.