California State University-Bakersfield

« See more reviews of California State University-Bakersfield

College should not be just a place that individuals pass through to get degrees for occupations. College is an important part of learning in life that does not only teach us how to test experiments or write papers, but teaches us how to grow within ourselves as individuals with responsibilities. College teaches us how to interact, collaborate, and compromise with other individuals; how to work not as a group of people but as a team of people, and at the same time preserve our individuality and independence. It is our experiences in college and the characters that we build that we will carry throughout the rest of our professional lives. The values we learn here are the values we are going to show our co-workers, our friends, and most importantly, our family. Most people meet their life-long friends in college, and some meet their future spouses in college. So when choosing the right college, one should not only consider the quality of education or the popularity of that campus; one should also consider the quality of the the student body, the faculty, the staff, and the overall campus environment, because college will choose what your future will be.

As a child, my dream was to go to college. The general concensus is that children dream of becoming a fireman or an astronaut. I always valued the inbetween step. College is much more than books and lectures and late nights. To me, college is where I have always belonged. The greatest career I could ever hope for is to become a university professor. As a center of constant innovation, education, and evolution, the university is a place for students to come and be transformed. This transformation is what allows human culture to be so diverse. At the root of society, there is always the idea, propelled by the thought, and nurtured by the university. I can think of no better place to have spent these last two years than at the institution which has allowed me to grow individually and simultaneously with my fellow peers. The college experience, my college experience, is invaluable. As a child, my dream was to go to college, and it is still my dream today. I am better because of my education, my personal growth, and my experiences with human culture. College is a place I will always cherish, never replace, and never forget.

I remember myself as a high school senior finishing up my last year and moving on to be prepared for college was my number one opportunity in life, and therefore the transition on doing this was my decision to pursue a degree in Business Administration. In fact, as a graduated from high school, I attended Antelope Valley College as a first-time freshman and excelled in my courses academically and thinking how my college life would be like was brilliant and also making the transition wasn't very easy for me and my family. I will go back in time as a high school senior completing my academic classes for graduation and finishing up my Senior Project with my mentor, who assisted me on my transition about how college would be like when I get there, but it wasn't easier but much harder and challenging. My advice for other disabled students who are planning to attend college, the opportunities are out there if you use the resources and services that your counselors give you once I started my freshman year in high school to completing my senior year. Finally, another advice I will give myself is not give up.

The advice I would give is choose WISELY. I initially chose to go to a private university down south because I thought : It's a private school so I'll get a better education. After my first year I realized that it WASN'T any better than a traditional four year school. My professors didn't interact with students AT ALL. They came to class between "work," usually some sort of study they were currently working on and left promptly when class was over. I NEVER saw a teacher outside of the classroom. I also ended up paying around $28,000 for that year. At California State Bakersfield, I receive financial aid, not a lot, but enough to pay my tuition and for my books for the quarter. I ALWAYS see my professors outside of class and they are always available during their office hours. The class sizes are a little bigger than at the private school, but the professors have assistants, so it's not really an issue. You might THINK that you want some big, fancy school, but in the end, an education is an education. So choose wisely and weight out your pros and cons carefully.

What wouldn't you tell yourself is probably a more appropriate question? Having just passed my 10-year mark since graduating in 1999, I have actually been thinking about this question quite a bit. First I would tell myself to set clear, definable goals to be reached withing concrete time frames (i.e., graduate college in 3 years, be finincially secure within 10 years, etc.) and devise a set of criteria necessary for accomplishing those goals. If you don't have a plan, then where are you going? Then I would say to surround myself with people who are successful or ambitious as well. Not only is it good for networking and discovering oppurtunities, but their good habits will also rub off on you. People who don't have goals will drag you down with them. Also, spend your money on the things you are supposed to, i.e., bills, not shoes. Sounds simple, but most people my age have learned it the hard way. And, at last, I would tell myself that the next 10 years are going to be a bumpy ride. Laugh, love, live in the moment. . . but be prepared for the future.

Dear Self: Are you nuts? Why are you listening to all of the people who think you shouldn't go to college? I don't care if Mrs. Chandler is your favorite teacher and someone you look up to.....she should NEVER have told you that you'd make a great secretary. Has it escaped her notice that you've taken college prep classes for the last four years, and have an impressive GPA? Girl, you turn your back on that woman and anyone else who isn't encouraging you to continue your education (including your nasty little internal doubter) and get your butt to a college admissions office NOW. Know this: you will eventually break out of your shell. You won't spend your life being backward and shy, and college is a great tool for beginning the process. You'll gain confidence with every class you ace, and you'll even find yourself able to question your professors' opinions when you don't agree with them. You'll make friends. Best of all, you'll become your OWN friend.....you will love who you are. You know you can trust me.......after all, I AM YOU! ';

The first thing I would go back and tell myself as a high school senior is take college seriously. No one told me that when I was a senior and as a result I failed to take college seriously. I ended up dropping out of college my first year and struggled for two years until I finally got the unspoken message. That message was to go back to college and take it seriously. This is good advice for any high school senior. As a young adult it is hard to grow up over the summer and prepare for college. This simple advice can guide a senior into that transition. Another thing I would tell myself is submit your college applications early and do not limit yourself. Since I didn't take college seriously I failed to apply for the "good" colleges on time. That left me stuck at my hometown community college. If I could go back and give myself this advice my college experience would have been different. The last thing I would tell myself is to have fun and get totally involved in your college career. Writing this makes me wish I had a time machine.

I would recommend that they take the time to visit many campuses and do the research about the schools. Find out what the surrounding area is like, how big the class sizes are, what extra-curricular options are available through the school. For athletes, I would say that you should not choose a school exclusively on the fact that you can play there. It is important that there is another aspect to college that the sport that is being played, and outside things should be a big factor. Part of making it through four years of a college sport is the ability to have outside activities. Of course the sport takes up a lot of time, but if you are not at a school with people you like, an environment you enjoy, and amenities that allow for enjoyable time, you will not be as happy. I would recommend that the student really anaylse if he will be ok far from parents or home, and take that into consideration. Most importantly, you are not cemented to the school you choose; if you hate it, you can leave and there are resouces available for a smooth transfer.

My advice to students would be to take time to choose to choose the college that is right for you. Look at many factors such as: campus size, surrounding area, most popular majors, religion affiliation, organizations, cost, etc. These may seem like small factors but they actually can make or break your college experience. So take time to do research on each of your choices and then visit them to make a final decision. Keep in mind that this will be your home for 4 years so you want to choose the school that is right for you. Don't choose a college because your friend is going or you want to follow a significant other; choose a college becuase it's best for you and what you're tryingto achieve. Secondly, when you go to college it is important to make the best of your experience. Join organizations, run for offices, make the good grades, meet new people, and try things that you've never tried before. It's all about experimenting. I believe when people say college are the best years of your life so make the most of it because it will surely go by fast.

School is not a burden; Education is something that should be cherished. Take every opportunity to emerse yourself in the material you are being taught. The process of learning will be easier if you realize that it is a chance to evolve into a better person. You will find that you are enjoying this process if you are open to the idea that it is a privelege. Every minute in the classroom is brighter when you have the mindset that you are truly lucky to be there. In addition to realizing that the education is a privelege, you must also realize opportunities don't equate to success. An important ingredient to success is hard work. Seizing opportunities is important, but you have to be willing to put in the work. Going to school is not enough, you have to be willing to put in the hours to make the best out of the opportunity that has been given. If you can take remember that you are lucky to be going to school and give everything that you can you will be proud of the results that you get back. Failure is impossible if you put in the work.