California State University-Chico Top Questions

Sierra

Before I arrived at Chico State, there are a few things I wish I would have known. For example, I wish I would've known how busy I was going to be! Between classes, studying, group projects, trying to exercise and have a social life is challenging, but I can do it! Another thing I wish I would've known was that it's okay to change your major! College is the time for you to try new things and figure out who you want to really be in life. I'm glad Chico State is giving me this opportunity.

Jeff

So many things. I suppose I wish I would've known the lay of the land a bit better: that is to say I had no idea where anything was. I also would've started at a four year university. The transition from a junior college to a university was not as smooth as I had hoped.

Exactly what I wanted to do and how I go about doing it. It was hard for me to pick a major my freshmen year so I only took GE courses. But now that it is my second year I know what I want to do but it is SO hard getting the classes I need to graduate on time. I don't have the money to just keep going to school because my classes I am supposed to take are full.

The amount of poverty that affects this town.

Zenia

To live at the dorms, everything has been amazing but I believe dorm life would be a fun and new experience.

I wish that I had known more about the study abroad programs when I first attended Chico State. Several friends of mine were given the opportunity to travel across the world to study in places such as Spain, Italy, London, and South America and they all described it as being the best times of their lives. I wish I had also known to keep a journal from the beginning of my freshman year until the day I graduated so that I could tell my future children the stories of the best years of my life.

I really don't have anything to say. It was a perfect fit for me and my brother was already there, so there wasn't much I didn't already know.

I wish I would have realized that every freshman is in the same boat. We were all nervous, but in the end i'm glad I went there.

Before I stared attending California State University, Chico I wish I had known more about the on campus groups that would have been a good fit for me. I was a new transfer student this last semester and I wanted to get involved with groups and clubs on campus but I didn't know where to start. The first few weeks of school can be overwhelming with so many groups handing out information. How can you know what groups are a good fit; which ones will support my academic goals and which groups would be a distraction from my classes?

How badly the roads are clogged on weekends and especially certain holidays. Drinking and partying are huge problems at this school, but it doesn't just affect those doing the partying (as I had thought before), people constantly walk in the middle of the roads and block traffic.

Lynsey

How amazing it is

Nothing. I was very prepared when I came to Chico. My cousin played for the basketball team which his borther my other cousin is the coach of the team. They both prepared me for what was to come in the acidemic and social aspects of Chico. I love my choice of school.

I wish I had known about the workload. Often times professors assume you understand something because it's in the textbook. However, they never mention a reading, nor do they state that you need to keep up on your own. There is a good sense of community at this school, and I really do appreciate the student body and the professors. If you are focused in your major, there is a faculty member to help you reach your goal. This is good to know.

Russell

I wish I had known how to balance my academic time to my social activity time. But, I do know that when you are 18 years of age and just starting college things and experiences are new and you have to learn on your own to deal with those circumstances. So, in the end I feel I learned a lot about myself from my experiences.

Maricela

I wish i would have known what other majors they offered.

Frank

I wish I would have known how much college costs so I could have started saving up sooner because my parents don't help me financially.

Kaiyla

Before I attended this school, I wish I could have known about the options that could help me with my classes, such as tutoring, workshops, etc.

I wish I had known to save two or three general education classes so that I could take them at Chico State. Since I am able to only transfer 70 units from a Junior college and I need 120 to graduate and my major only requires 40, I now wish I could have taken those "easier" classes later along with my upper division classes.

Kali

I wish i would have known more about the outdoor recreation activities available in the Chico area. Bidwell park is an amazing place for walks, bike rides, hikes and many other things. When I first started at this school, I had no idea that I could satisfy my need for outdoor activities within the city limits. I wasted the first several months at Chico searching for getaways near Chico where I could go to the river or go on hikes, little did I know that all of this and more was available right in front of my nose!

Before I came to Chico State I wish I would have known more about university housing.

I wish I had known how to cite papers much better before I came here and how transportation costs affected my trips to and from college and home.

I wish I had known how seriously you need to take your schoolwork because it is so easy here to not think you need to work as hard as you would at other schools, which is far from the truth. This is an academically difficult and rewarding school and you need to make sure to stay on top of your studies.

I wish I had known how friendly and pleasant college would be, which includes the attitudes of the professors and staff. I wish I had known that college isn't scary at all.

That the parties were easily avoided.

Tameica

I wish I knew how to manage my finance better before leaving to go to school.

Kira

There is not many off campus activities- the campus is a little 'middle of nowhere'

i knew a lot of about this school, from growing up here.

Alma

The ethnic-diversity that is very much lacking.

Nothing, I was very prepared for college when I came to Chico.

Although Chico has a reputation for being a party school, I wish I would have known that this is the ONLY social life that exists. Without alcohol use there isn't much to do in this town during the night time. TONS of outdoor activities for day use however, which is WONDERFUL. One of the most beautiful parks in California, and Paradise just 20 miles North allows for major outdoor activity like mountain biking and hiking. Mt. Lassen just 70 miles North, and Lake Oroville and Feather River make for great excuses to hit water sports.

Patrissha

I wish I had known sooner about online classes and programs that lead to degrees.

Myriah

nothing