Vallejo, CA
California State University Maritime Academy

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University Maritime Academy

Roman Troy

My overall opinion about California State University Maritime Academy is just that it is an amazing school with amazing education opportunities. The overall teacher to student ratio is amazing if you like small schools! Cal Maritime is an amazing school with unique learning opportunities, with overseas experience.

Tristan

From what I've seen so far, I've enjoyed being in Cal Maritime. The campus is beautiful, the students are professional and helpful, the faculty are easily accessible, and the on-campus dorms, while small, are easy to live in. The only issue I have is how far other stores can be from the campus, but other than that I've got no complaints.

Mary

California Maritime Academy is one of the most unique schools you will find. With a small campus and small class sizes the teachers know their students. This is a unique world that most people do not know about and is a vital, important, and growing industry. With hard work one can succeed with a life in this industry whether at sea or ashore.

Alysha

I have now been attending Cal Maritime for a year and i can say that overall it is a great school. First off a beautiful campus right on the bay with one of the most beautiful sunsets. Many of the buildings, library and dining hall, along with some of the rooms look out at the bay. The dorms are all 2 person dorms, and community bathrooms only in freshman dorms. Students are required usually to stay all 4 years on campus, and because of this you are usually for sure going to get a room. all other dorms are suite style. don't ever have to clean the bathrooms and only 2 to a room, only downfall is no air-conditioning. Small campus, only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to any of the buildings, just be ready for a lot of stairs!! Dining hall food does have some off days, but one can usually find something to eat. since it is an all you can eat buffet style. Including dining hall have a bistro and also a cafe for quick grabs of sandwiches and salads throughout the day, and burritos and pizza at nights.And we have a great pastry chef called moms who deserts are to die for. Small school with approx. 1,200 students, and 75% male, but the female population is growing in percentage each year. We only have 6 majors also, so all classes are very specialized, with teachers who have very high degrees in the subjects they teach. due to the small school size, we have small class sizes of 35 or less, and are a great community. while we do live a semi-milateristic life style, with wearing uniforms, attending morning formation 3 times a week at 7:20 in the morning, and watch duty standing, we are not required to join the military. instead it is a coast guard requirement for some students and for others teaches them skills for life. IF you are interested in one of the six majors at this school, i would highly advise looking into it. I have had a great time here and can't wait for more years to come. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me at awallace@csum.edu

Shekinah

I havent gotten to personally know any of them, but they all seem like responsible, mature young adults who have a real passion for the major they are involved in.

THE MONEY ISSUE IS A BIG DEAL. I know you shrugged and said to yourself 'eh, I'll figure out how to pay for it when I get there', but that is definately not the right way to go about the financial aspect of college. I don't care if you're, and I quote, "just a senior in high school and not even an adult yet", you need to apply for scholarships right now, sell some stuff of E-Bay, learn how to play poker, or appraise some jewelry or something! Anything! Actually, you should've started worrying about the money issue the beginning of freshman year. Oh, by the way, don't underestimate your possible desire to actually start dating seriously. I know, I know, you always say "ugh, I'm never going to date in college, I'm only interested in my education". Girl, I know. But I'm just telling you that you're going to need a lot of resistance to dismiss the fact that over 90% of the people in your school are guys. Your eyes will wander, but never lose sight of your purpose to get a degree! (A bf is extra. ;D)

I wish I would've know that there are many uniforms you need to know how to properly wear as an MET major. I realize now that I actually have to pay attention to my appearance, use a clothing iron, and get ready in a short amount of time.

Kabrianna

"Hey Kabrianna. I know that you are stressed, but without stress, we wouldn't accomplish half of what we do! Don't let that stress worry you, because you CAN and WILL do it, I promise. Continue keeping your grades high, but do not forget to put family first. It is so easy to say ' I will just stay out tonight and come home later' and before you know it, it is time to grow up, and your beloved sister, Kyla, feels distant. Most of all, realize that you will be OKAY! In Fall of 2013, you're going to rock your red graduation gown and smile to your unsupportive family as you're eighteen with your associates and a 3.9 GPA! There will be a time you are bitter for supporting the family and be the provider. I know it's hard to believe, but they will be okay without you and things will look up. Mom will straighten up and help you care for Kyla. You just need to stay strong, and keep on keeping on. Its going to be hard, but breathe, because you will be okay, I promise. Take care, and boys are bad, mkay?"

melodie

I would give my self these words of advice never let anyone make you feel belittled. Try your hardest and never give up. Always ask for help from teachers.

The worst thing about the school is that it is mostly male dominated becuase our school is focused of saling after graduation. Most faculty and students are male and sometimes that puts the female at the school to a disadvantage and a little discrimination.

If you are a femaile going liscene track you have to be a fighter, strong, focused, never quite, and most of all well rounded. You do a lot of hands on assignmets that gets your hands dirty.

Robert

California Maritime Academy is know for being the only CSU in California that has its students held at a higher standard than any CSU school. We also are known for having our own ship. CSUM students graduate with the knowledge of the maritime business rather if its being a captain of a ship or an engineer.

I have learned that being a college student means working harder than before and thats what seperates a person with a degree to a person without one.

Nothing I knew a lot about the school before I applied and got accepted.

Vasile

Marine-related majors, specifically Marine Engineering Technology and Marine Transportation, although my major is Mechanical Engineering with USCG Third Assistant Engineer's License.

I'm not sure what I would tell myself... College life isn't hard in terms of responsibility or work load and self-discipline; because of the way I was raised in an Eastern European houeshold, and the excellent learning programs that I was in at the schools I went to before college--like the GATE program in elementary and middle school and the PACE program at Long Beach Polytehcnic High School. But one thing that I would tell myself is to be more comfortable and less shy around girls, and not to bring so much stuff with me to college that I don't know where to put everything.

The kind that loves the ocean, sailing, boats, and working with their hands.

Brandan

Actually, my senior year isn't the year I would speak to myself, during my sophomore and junior years I decided my friends, party's etc were much more important than studying and school. I struggled, my gpa went from over a 3.0 to a 2.3. My folks were angry, my teachers had given up on me. I wasn't interested in school. When I was accepted to a 4 year, my counselor and teachers were shocked and didn't think I had a chance. They really had written me off as a JC college kid. After spending a semester at college, I realize if I would have paid just a bit more attention and tried a little bit harder, my gpa would have been well over a 3.0 and all the arguing and struggles to get to CSU-CMA wouldn't have happened. The transition has been easier than I expected, although the school is very structured, so it makes it easy to understand what is expected of you. My grades are up now. I only strive to keep them improving more each semester!

California State University Maritime Academy administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.