Colby College Top Questions

David

I would tell my high school self to be prepared for the amount of work that I would soon be dealing with because in college the amount of work one hasto do, greatly picks up. However, I would advise myself to also be more sociable upon first coming to college. You basically have one chance to make new friends during your freshman year at college and then that is it. Afterwards, it can be hard to feel like you belong in a group of friends. I would also tell myself to avoid any and all parties and instead focus on personal an intellectal growth even during free time. This personal growth, however, should be done with others while enjoying wholesome activities. The last key thing that I would tell myself is that everything will be okay and to relax because I will find my soulmate at the college I am now attending and that she will complete me. In short, I would do everything I could to reassure and comfort my past self and make it clear that all my hard work payed off because I made it into a great school even though I come from a humble background.

Eva

There's so much about yourself that you don't know yet, High School Eva. There's so much about life that you just don't know yet. Your first weeks of college aren't "the transition," like you might have heard. All four years of college are "the transition." For all four years of college, you will be living with Mom, and yet you will also be on your own. In college, you're an adult, but you aren't yet. You still have to learn how to become a person. I still have to learn how to become a person. Unfortunately, we won't just wake up one morning and be fully fledged. You will be more lost and more alone and more sad than you have ever been when you go to college, but that's just being a person, and that's good. Some classes will excite every nerve in your body and make you feel electric with knowledge, and some will be a burden. You'll get through it. Trust me, you'll get through it. You'll learn so much about yourself - scary, uncomfortable, mean things, but you'll get through it. I promise.

William

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to study harder, ask teachers more questions, and try harder. I say study harder because my study habits were good, but I could have done better because I could have put more time into studying. I made good grades but if I would have studied harder I could have made even better grades. I usually made between As and Bs but I could have made all As. The reason I say ask more questions is that I usually knew all the answers but some times I refused to seek assistance I wanted to push myself until I found it out. I never asked the teachers for help because, I felt ashamed becaused I always knew the answers. I should have tried harder because I was second in my class; I wanted to be first. But I didn't try hard enough to fulfill this goal. I was less that a tenth of a point away from being first. This angered me because I was close. All of these traits would better prepared me for college.

Timothy

Learn to say “no”. The key to success is not the things that you do, but the things that you do not. A major reason why high school is so stressful is a lack of this knowledge. When the boss at your part-time job asked you to keep working 30 hours a week, you should have said “no”. When your friends asked you to throw a party while your parents were away, you should have said “no”. When a classmate asked to cheat off of your homework, you should have said “no”. As you move into college, you will learn the importance of “no”. If you accept every beer that is handed to you, join every club, and overload yourself with classes you cannot manage, the consequences will be dire. The secret is silence the outside pressure and listen to the voice within that cries “no”. It may sound like this advice is disregarding “yes”, but no one needs to be told when to say “yes”. You already know what you want to do, and who you want to be. You are already on the right track. The key to staying on is “no”.

Casey

The advice I would give myself would be to not put off furthering my education. I believed I could work for a year and then I could attend college. It is now ten years later and I just finished my first semester.

Monique

I would tell myself to get a tutor for calculus. My life would have been much easier. Also, take more Italian classes and go abroad for a semester instead of a month. Otherwise, college life was the best thing for me.

Amy

You might not need to pack for college until a month before the big move-in, but as as a high school senior, you owe it to yourself to start packing a mental suitcase of sorts. Get to know all your teachers as best you can with your remaining time in high school. The science teachers may have already written recommendations for you, but that hasn't exhausted all the widom they have yet to share. So, speak up; start a conversation. It needn't be centered on class topics either. Teachers have lives, too: experiences, favorite books. Get used to conversing with educators, since interactions with Professors, especially in their office hours, is key to excelling in college. Picking up a novel or two here and there wouldn't hurt, either. Reading is one of the greatest tools of learning and of the imagaination, and it certainly won't disappear in college. Make the most of senior year, in both academia and world experiences, for the wits you pack now will prove of use in the future.

jessica

I have received self esteem . I have been able to show my daughter that its never to late to change your life and make it something you are happy with at the end of the day.

Kristen

I came to Colby thinking that I knew who I was, what my values were, and what I wanted. But Colby, you have done your job. As a top-ranked liberal arts college that prides itself on expanding students' knowledge in a diverse range of subject areas, in that I have excelled more than I ever could have imagined. I thought I loved English. Then Colby, you showed me sociology. I thought I hated science, then Colby, you introduced me to the chemistry of the gym. I thought I hated camping, and in my first week in Maine, Colby, you stuck me in a cabin with 9 other "COOT babies" and helped me form stronger bonds in 3 days than I had formed during the previous 18 years of my life. I thought school defined me, but then Colby, you helped me find many more interests; every day, you help me find myself in so many unexpected ways. And to this, Colby, all I can say, is thank you.

Matthew

it has been fun i will learn more here than i did in high school, the teachers will help you no matter what it is

Kate

As I embark on my Masters degree and look back on my undergraduate experience, I'm grateful for many things that have helped formulate my new path. However, what I'm most greatful for is the voice that I was able to develop and utilize on campus in an effort to change campus culture. It's this voice that has led me to continue my studies and get my Master of Sciences in Education. My group of friends did not fall under the heading of a "traditional" Colby student. None of us went to a fancy prep school or would consider ourselves anything above middle class. I was one of the only students of my close friends that was white and straight. I could fit in, but I saw the microaggresions that my school family dealt with every day and I learned something about the importance of pointing such things out and initiating discourse about them. People aren't by nature cruel, I believe that, but to punish people for ignorance without trying to educate them is perpetuating the cycle and we can't put the burden for this education on affected students alone.

Priscilla

I go to a college about six hundred miles away from my hometown. While this isn't revolutionary, it's very unusual for people from my Maryland high school to travel beyond Boston or the Carolinas. I was most worried about the distance, being far away from my friends and family, missing the little things about where I grew up. I would only see these faces and experience Howard County on intermittent breaks. The distance wouldn't have caused such apprehension if it wasn't for the fact that I had visited once. Colby was the third school I visited on my college tour; I had spent two hours there and one night total in Waterville. Not to mention, it was in the middle of a heat wave in July. It's almost ironic to think about now, with the snow piled up against the sidewalks and winter winds regaling in my face. Regardless, the two hours I spent there slammed me with the feeling of home, the idea that I could and wanted to spend four years of my life there. I was uncertain, but I learned that maybe trusting my gut feeling was most important after all.

Larissa

I attended a very academically elite high school, and as a senior I was very concerned with what my family, friends, teachers, and councelors expected of me, perhaps more than my own happiness. However, as a college freshman at Colby, I would have told myself a year ago not to let external pressures influence your college decision. I think the most important part of the college search is finding the school that makes you the happiest. While academics, athletics, and arts are all important factors, the students who excel the most in college are those who are mentally happy. I would have told myself earlier in the college process to chose a school for the people, the opportunities, and the experience. When I finally realized that I should choose a school for more than its presitge and reputation, I made one of the best decisions of my life.

Dear Self, Don't be afraid of what college has in store for you. You'll be exposed to a whole new world of things you never even knew existed, & you'll be subjected to a lot of things that might make you feel unsure or uncomfortable. The transition won't be hard - you're pretty well academically prepared, & you'll meet some of the most brilliant people who will teach you incredible things, &, amazingly, get to know you on a first-name basis. Don't shy away from activities - dive right in to what you love, & try something new. You'll make great friends who share your passions & who'll teach you as well. Choose classes that you'll enjoy - you're spending four years of your life & more money than you'd like to admit on this endeavor, so make sure you like what you're doing, even if it ends up being different from your initial plan. Don't be afraid to stray from your original path & learn something new. But most importantly, be yourself. Never lose track of who you are, & you'll get more out of college than you could ever know. Love, Me

Karen

Make sure to visit the colleges you are looking at and speak to students who already go there if you have the chance. You want the college you go to to be a place where you can feel comfortable eating, sleeping, studying, and making friends in. If you do not think you will be able to survive at a school, take it off your list but remember that you set the standards for yourself and that if you want to do something then you can, just have faith.

There are a few rudimentary items on the "checklist" in the heads of all college-browsers: closeness to home, available majors, cost, dorms, activities, etc. Of course, all of these areas are important, and everybody has their own view on what the perfect college should and shouldn't have, but I think the most important thing is the general feel of the campus to the student. Students, when you are considering schools, make sure you visit ALL of them! Here is why: You need to stand on that campus and really decide if it feels like home to you. Can you picture yourself being happy just walking around campus? After all, that is where you will spend the majority of your next two or four years. If you can truly answer that question, the rest will just fall into place. As far as the parents go, guide your student by suggesting colleges and helping them gather information, but don't pressure or persuade them. When they find their home-away-from-home, embrace that home with them.

Caitlin

It's all about how you feel when you step on campus - talk with some of the professors and students while you're there and ask them what they think about the school - and go in with an open mind! Some schools may surprise you!

Know that, wherever you end up, you will meet interesting people and have great experiences, just some might be different than others. Don't be afraid to branch out when looking at schools, especially in terms of location and such. I wish I had. Understand that college is really expensive, and that students at the so called "selective" private schools are (largely) there because of money, something many of them have no concept of. If you are offered a free ride, take it? the lack of stress you'll have from not being in debt is worth the possibility that you may be attending a less fancy school. Above all, go with your gut. Again, I wish I had...

Audell

It is important for the student to do some soul searching and figure out what it is that you want from his/her school. Most schools have fairly good academic departments but it is more important for a student to step outside of what they are used to and try something different. Its four years that will shape the rest of your life. So learn as much as you possibly can during that time and try to have fun. Interestingly enough its not always about the grade because its the experiences that will stay with us forever.

Alexander

My best advice is that just like in love there is no one perfect person for another, you/your child will have an opportunity to succeed and be happy at a myriad of instituions. So, in short, don't put too much presure on yourself to get into one single school.

The most important thing you can do while searching for a college is to interact with and talk to student who actually go to the school. The guide books and the tour guides will give you lots of factual information but the students will tell you what you really want to know. Ask them anything, they will likely be happy to answer. Go on an overnight stay.

naamah

my main peice of advice for parents and perspectve students is to take you time in looking at schools. Dont be distracted by school rankings and noteriety. Follow your gut.

Jamie

Finding the ?right? college is the wrong way to approach looking at a school. This is especially true if you are looking at liberal arts colleges because you will probably change your major and activities as your college career progresses. Instead of looking for the perfect college for right now, look for a college where there is an open ideology. This is a place where students are encouraged to speak with the administration, where there are multiple strong departments, and where there is the ability to create new clubs and different types of programming. At a school where you can easily initiate change, your college experience will be exactly what you make it. To discover if a school has these qualities ask students specific questions. For instance, if a student says that the student government is great, ask what motions they have passed recently and if there have been any recent changes as a result of those motions. Also, don?t take the ramblings of one student as gospel; just because this school is the best/worst fit for them does not mean it is best/worst school for you.

Emma

Students: Keep an open mind. While there will definitely be places that you love more than others, there probably won't e one "perfect"school for you. For most people, there won't be just one school that's right. On the other hand, it's important to pay attention to your gut feelings about a school. You don't necessarily need concrete reasons to like (or not like) a school. If you do find one school that you love, go for it! Once you do get to whatever school you end up picking, keep that open mind and explore your new environment. Join clubs that look like fun, get to know lots of different people, pick classes you're really interested in and excited about, and make sure that you also keep in touch with your family and friends from home! The most important thing is to SHOW UP. Go to guest lectures, club meetings, shows, etc. What you learn outside of the classroom is just as important as what you learn in class. Parents: this is your kid's time--be there for support and advice, but let them make thier own decisions and lead thier own lives.

Danielle

Don't let the name or reputation of a school influence your choice to go there. Visit the campus. Visit again! Talk with students, professors, admissions, coaches (if you plan on being an athlete), and anyone else that seems receptive! Apply to reach schools but don't devalue the little guys. Take serious time to think about your choices. Finally, go with your gut! Once you're there, put yourself out there. College is a chance to be yourself so take advantage! Join clubs. Do new things. Meet new people. Take classes in areas you've never heard of and don't be afraid to form personal relationships with professors you really enjoy. You never know where an opportunity may lead. But most importantly, the single most important thing to know about making the most of your college experience is to enjoy yourself! Sure, the academics can be rigorous, but always remember to have a little fun and it may just turn out to be the best four years of your life!

Catherine

i love colby.

Margit

I would not recommend playing a varsity sport because it takes up too much time. When I was part of a team, I only had time for academics and my sport. I would also recommend considering a school carefully based on its location. Although I consider myself to be a "city person," I have really enjoyed Colby's small and close-knit campus.

Karen

Don't let cost deter you Location is important- ask yourself if this is an area you want to live for x years First impression is important- go with a gut feeling about a place Be realistic in your options based on your high school grades, test scores, etc. Do enough research on schools to see which ones are accessible options for you Try new things in college. It's the best opportunity to do so! Make friends with as many different types of people as possible. You'll learn a lot more

Find a school that suits you. Ask your guidance and college counselors or advice, as well as the admissions offices at colleges and universities for information, but be true to yourself when you choose a school. The four years of education that follow high school are extremely significant and the place where each student ends up must be a match for him or her. Based on academics, extra-curricular activities, but most importantly, the student atmosphere, one must decide where to spend this time that will help to shape a person for life. Reach for a school that you may think will not accept you. Pay no attention to the name of the school - if you know this is the place you must go, work hard and apply.

Jeanne

Make sure you can find something at the college that you will enjoy outside of academics and that you are comfortable on the campus

Ala

Ask youself first what your passions are. Find an institution that can fulfill them. Are the people there compatible with your personality? Remember: there are dauntingly intelligent students and professors everywhere, so just becuase a school isn't well-known doesn't mean it's worthless.

Chelsea

It's hard not to care about the name recognition of colleges and universities when you are picking a school, but try to remember that you're not going to be happy because you have a sweatshirt that says 'Harvard' or 'Bowdoin' on it. What you're able to do on weekends, the activites you're able to participate in on campus, and the professors and students you're surrounded by will make or break your college experience.

Caroline

I would recommend visiting the campuses of every school that you are considering, either while deciding where to apply or when evaluating schools you have been accepted to (depending which is more convenient). Schools may look similar on paper, but when you visit them you really see the nuances that make up each campus and are able to get a much better "feel" for each one.

Before you decide on a college, students should seriously consider how they see themselves fitting into the world. It is important to know who you are as an individual, at least as much as you can, before you decide. The college you choose will be the place where your personality and self grows, and you want the environment to nurture and promote the way you wish to live your life. You always hear-"make the most out of your college experience, they are the best years of your life!" and, well, they are right! Definitely take advantage of all the college has to offer, get involved in many activities, and take challenging courses! You never know, you could just learn something about yourself that you never even dreamed.

Liz

College is one of the only times in your life where you are free to try as many crazy and different things as possible. Take advantage of that. When looking for a college, make sure that the classes, not just in your intended major, but in general, seem interesting to you. Why go to a school where the classes don't appeal to your interests? Make sure you know what the weekend life is like at the school. Ask someone you know who goes to the school what the real deal is. While a tour guide may tell you there are many fun things besides alcohol-ridden parties, they could be putting a spin on the fact that the 'other' fun things include sitting alone in your room watching movies. Just make sure you know what your getting yourself into. One more imporant thing: don't judge a college just by its fame. Choose it because you like it, it feels comfortable to you, and it has what you are interested in. Just because a college has a good name, doesn't mean that it will bring you the world on a platter!