Twin Falls, ID
College of Southern Idaho

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of Southern Idaho

Jacqui

If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school, and knowing what I know now, I would have done a lot of things differently. When enter college I didn't have good study habits. Most of the time while in high school I would complete my homework in school before going home. I was working and making sure that I was at home before my younger siblings came home from school. In college you can't do that, you have to study and sometime for hours at a time. I have never done that before so I was totally lost to studying. Also during my senior year in high school I would have taken some PSEO classes, then at least I would have had an idea of what to expect as far as class structure. Entering college for the first time and walking into a classroom of over an hundred was a scary and intimidating feeling. I would have visited colleges as a senior to prepare myself for my new adventure as a freshmen in college. Those are the things that I would have done differently as a High School Senior.

Kasey

When I was a high school senior, like many others, I knew some of my hopes and dreams but did not know how I wanted to fit them into the world. Because I was so pressured to attend school just for the sake of attending school, I did not do very well in the beginning. My lack of direction led me to exactly where I was going: nowhere - and it wasn't cheap either! If I could go back in time and save my high school senior self from making the same mistake, I would say, "Spend your high school years getting to truly know yourself. Be active with your interests, whether it's through school clubs or on your own. When you get to experience shaping your goals into reality you will have a clearer idea and stronger motivation to where you want to be. If you're struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help and if you change your mind what direction you want to go in, don't give yourself a hard time about it. We are all always growing and continue to do so after college, so don't stress and enjoy the experience!"

Travis

I would go back and tell myself that college requires self-discipline and dedication and to wait on the college experience until I had obtained those specific skills. I would also warn myself that if this warning was not heeded, I would be setting myself up for failure -- a failure that would literally take years to recover from.

I wish that I knew all of the knowledge I am trying to accumulate currently already, that way there would be no stress involved and I would be that much closer to graduating and doing the things I really want to do in my life.

There isn't very much to do. The school is under-funded and it shows.

Chelsea

The low tution rates and large variety of classes it offers

The low tution rates and large variety of classes it offers

If I could go back to school and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to prepare for college by creating useful study habits. I would also tell myself to learn to manage my time early because college life will take up a large majority of my time in the future. I would also tell myself to start preparing to be out in the world on my own once I start my college career. I would make sure that I would start preparing a savings to help pay for college expenses and also normal expenses like rent and bills. If I told myself these things I believe I would have been better prepared for college. These are all things I tell the students I tutor to start preparing as soon as possible.

For me the most frustrating thing about my school is my branch is located in Nampa, ID and I live in Boise, ID which are located about 25 miles apart, also the high prices of books.

I wish I had known how easy it would be to go to college. I can choose a schedule that fits my needs and I will have a degree in no time. I wish I had done it years ago. I wish I had known the possibilities that I was missing out on, by not going years ago.

If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to dream bigger, have confidence that you can make something out of your life and to never give up. As a senior, I knew my parents couldn't pay for college, so I never tried. I would tell myself to talk to anyone that will listen and tell them that you want to go to school and achieve a better life. I would tell myself to get involved in as many things as I could to make that happen, save my money, don't socialize as much and concetrate on school, because some day that will matter. I would tell myself not to graduate with a 1.9 GPA, to find out at 36 that you can achieve a 3.75 and that you probabley could have in high school too, if only you would have concentrated and cared enough to do it. You can achieve the impossible, if you take that first step and try. I am now, and wish that I had done it sooner!

I brag about the tuition costs. You can not beat what I'm paying to go to college. The book prices could be worked on though. My school is easy to talk to, most of the professors are easy to deal with and very helpful and the overall help I have received has been a great asset to someone going back to school.

Erik

I am attending the Horticulture program at College of Western Idaho, which is brand new and is operating under College of Southern Idaho's accreditation. The classes are in Boise, Idaho, and are located at the Old Idaho Pennitentary, which is also the home of the Idaho Botannical Garden. The buildings and landscape are hundreds of years old. We pruned roses that had been planted in the mid 1800's.

"Go to school to do something you know you will enjoy doing for the rest of your life. The opinion of others, your idea of what is expected of you, and even money won't matter in the long run, as long as you can wake up each morning (at least most mornings) excited to go to work. Life will be easier if you find something you are passionate about and you just do the heck out of it. You may be going to the wrong school or be studying the wrong program or you may even be in school for the wrong reasons if you cannot identify what will make you happy (set goals) and then clearly identify a path to achieve those goals. I do not like using the term goals here, though, because I am not talking about material possessions and things. I am talking about achievments, accomplishments, career etc. If you think making money is a good goal, and you are majoring in economics to achieve that goal and no other reason, you are destined for unhappiness. Like I said, find something that makes you happy and do the heck out of it."

The low cost. I went to an expensive private school when I was 18 for three years. I am now attending a 2 year community college for a different program. The price difference is over 12,000 a year, and the quality of education is what you make it no matter where you attend.

Amy

The College of Southern Idaho offers opportunity to students that may not otherwise be able to attend college. The cost of attendence is low and they have several distance learning centers and many courses available online. I live in a small community over sixty miles away from the main campus and have been able to work towards a degree at the branch of the college in my community.

Given the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself what an enriching experience college can be. I would recommend focusing on academics while still making time for myself to have fun and enjoy all that college has to offer. There are many different ways I which I could broaden my social network, cultural knowledge, and gain from unique experiences. College is more than a place of learning. It is a place to develop skill, ability, and perhaps most importantly character.

One challenge faced by those living away from the main campus of the College of Southern Idaho is the limited options of classes available at distance learning centers. I found myself unable to take certain classes that were not offered on the campus in my community or having to commute to the Twin Falls main campus.

Andrew

The teachers are extremly nice and understanding of the students needs thay are instructing. The flexabilaty of the staff members toward the students gives more opportunities to succede within thier personal goals.

I would tell myself that college is much easier than first anticipated. In fact the strictness of the classes, is much less than the old routine of high school life. Than me in the past will say "cool", and me in the future will know that I in the past is not motivated enuff. So I know that the past is set and I can't change it. But true motivation comes from the insite of the knowlege of the puticuler persion you are ingaging with. And I know that the past me will do the right thing, I think?

I wish I had known how much information that is needed, so I can register for the classes I am pertisapating in. And the knowlege of careers that are intrusting to me.

The unique thing about the school I picked is that they have clubs that do extracurricular activities. You go out into the community and do service projects, we also do fundraisers so that the club can do different things like buy shop shirts for the first year students. Another reason I chose this school is the location, since I have a job and I must work full time to pay my way through school the location was perfect.

I would simply tell myself to not wait six years to go back to school, and to not be afraid of how to pay for school because if you have the want and drive to better yourself the rest will fall into place. I would also tell myself that even if you don't know what you want to go to school for you could always take some core classes because if you wait to go back to school it will only be harder to go back latter. The last thing I would say is that you can be anything you want or do anything if you only have an education.

One thing I wish I would have known before I chose this school was how many different things I would learn in my one class. I learned everything from safety, welding, airbrushing, metal fabrication, and so much more. I have enjoyed learning everything just was not prepared for work and dedication it would take. So I just had to learn to take it all one day at a time.

I would tell myself to go to college right out of high school. It is very hard to get motivated to go back after taking a year or more off to work. I thought I could save money but always found something to spend it on. Just go to college and start your life off right. Going to college really gives you a head start in life and an introduction into the real world of having a lot more responsibilities. Some of those responsibilities you don't realize you will ever have will be a surprise. Going to college is a good mid point and you won't be forced into them as fast as if you didn't go to college right away. It is a good way to know that you will be able to support your family and live comfortably when it comes to that point. Going to college will give a boost to your income and in healthcare (like me) you will be helping out some of the people who need it the most!

The best thing about my school are the professors. They are so very helpful and will help work around almost anything you need! I live 2 1/2 hours away and last semester had to commute once a week and my professor was so helpful and understanding. He also was very good at explaining everything he was going over in class and it was very easy to understand. It was because of my professors teaching styles that I did so great this semester and I am so thankful for them!

Honestly, I've only gone there for two semesters and only been on campus for one semester so I haven't really found anything yet that I don't like. Everyone is so helpful and friendly. They are so willing to help you with anything you need, whenever you need it. I love going to school because of the environment that have created for their students.

College of Southern Idaho administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.