College of William and Mary Top Questions

What do students complain about most?

In typical William and Mary fashion, most students complain about the workload they face in their classes. Reading is heavy in nearly all courses (excepting mathematics), and people can be seen in all nooks and crannies of Swem staring at the computer screen reading an article (with the occasional check of Facebook). However, in addition to schoolwork, a typical complaint is the lack of nightlife outside of campus activities in the town. Unfortunately, there is no real likelihood of this changing anytime soon; the locals of Williamsburg have an average age of about 65, and are in now way looking to liven up their retirement town. Until students get to be 21, there's not a ton to do in the immediate town, aside from a night at the movies or going out to dinner with friends. (And even after people are allowed to drink, there are only about 3 bars to choose from.) A minor complaint seen since I have been attending the College is the level of construction going on. It can be a large inconvenience for the residents of the neighboring buildings. But, it is done to upkeep the campus of such a beautiful and historic school, so nobody can be too mad for long.

Students complain about the food and registration. At many of the dining halls it can be hit or miss. There is a Chik-fil-a and a burger place, which you can't really go wrong with. If options are really poor though, students have something called Dining Dollars, which can be used at the Student Exchange to purchase food items. Registration is the biggest pain for freshmen, who register last of all the social classes. You are given a time block during which you enter the CRNs of the classes you want before the class fills up. This process becomes easier once you declare your major, and, truthfully, if you wait a class out during the add/drop period, you have a good shot of ending up in the class. I've gotten lucky this way a couple of times.

Samuel

Students at W&M complain most about the lack of an athletic scene and the rigor of the workload. The common student is usually more willing to go to an acapella concert than a basketball game. Furthermore, I personally found that with a full 15 credit course load, you had very little free time.