Columbus State Community College

« See more reviews of Columbus State Community College

Frankie Guglielmi, determine what kind of career fields you could see yourself in before you graduate from high school. Since you are undecided for a college major my best advice would be for you to go online and research all college majors. Write down the ones that most interest you and head in that direction, furthering research on each. You should choose the major that you feel will bring the most contentment to your life. When choosing a college you must determine whether or not you want a "college experience" or an education. They both can be combined but a community college will provide you with more of an education rather than a "college experience". Even though you may feel you will not go pro in a sport, joining college athletics could bring you scholarships, friends, and encouragement along with your education. It is also a great idea to find a good part-time job that you can keep through your education. Practice the use of a personal schedule to keep yourself well organized with the new congestion of college life. Understand that when you graduate high school self-commitment and motivation are crucial to your succes in college.

If I could go back to high school and give myself advice, after knowing about college life and the transition, I would tell myself three things: enjoy your time with your friends, be studious and finish well, research and plan ahead for college, taking into account location, tuition (and debt), and quality of education. First of all, make sure you enjoy each minute you have with your close friends, because soon you will all be in different states or countries and getting married - and months of scarce communication will fly by without you even noticing it once you graduate. Secondly, finish well. Don't let "senioritis" get to you academically. Finish your last quarter with good grades and attendence. Lastly, but very importantly: plan, plan, plan for college. Sit down and budget. Know what debt you'll end up having to pay if your tuition is sky high. Find the best quality program for the best overall cost. Research the area in which you'll be living to make sure you'll like it. Save up and find scholarships. I would share these three important things with my high school self if I could.

If I went back in time to 2004 and visited myself as a high school senior, my former self would probably be quite shocked that I am still in college, especially as an undergraduate. I would explain I would change a few minor details but my journey would be the same. If my former self asked me what I would do differently, I would tell her that I would have taken post secondary classes at the community college to save money, and I would have spent a little bit more time studying freshman year. However, I would still choose Ohio University and the brick paved streets of Athens, Ohio, the books of the History Department and the debates of Political Science. I would still pledge a sorority and study abroad. People say that college is about getting a job upon graduation. Since graduation I have decided to change fields and pursue a nursing career and am attending a community college, but those years of college were not wasted time. College was how I finally figured out who I am, and how to pursue my dreams. College is a journey, not just a destination.

Hey kid, get your head in the game! You need to be applying for scholarships and coming up with a financial plan to pay for college right now. Graduation is right around the corner, and time is running out. You know it's expensive, so why not do something about it? You have all the resources in front of you, just apply yourself! Trust me, you will thank yourself later. But all this stress about the financials is going to be worth it! You are going spend the best years of your life in college; you'll make friendships that you will take with you for the rest of your life and learn the important skills that will eventually land you your dream job. However, you have so much to learn, not only academically, but about yourself! In college you can be anybody you want to be and people will accept you for who you are. In addition, you will meet all kinds of people from all walks of life, and along the way you will discover your own personal identity. Enjoy the ride but be prepared to test your limits and don't forget to challenge yourself every day.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life I would tell myself to not worry so much about what major I was going to pick. I would urge myself to simply take time to enjoy the college experience such as expanding my knowledge, developing new ideas, meeting a variety of people from various places and discovering myself more in depth. It seems so much emphasis can be placed on having to make a decision on what one wants to do for the rest of their life that the whole exciting experience that can bring so much personal growth and discovery is lost. The result of this sometimes pressured decision is often either "choosing to choose" or even worse being pressured into a field by someone else. So I?d say "Let go. let live, and take some time to discover things about yourself that may entirely change the direction you thought you were heading before being in college! Don?t panic if it takes you awhile to figure things out, after all the best things in life are worth waiting for!"

Patty, Listen to me and learn. Do not wait till your out of high school to start thinking about your future. The future slips by without us even realizing it. Start planning your career and educational goals as soon as you get into high school. Keep your grades up and look into types of funding early. Talk to your school counselors and listen to their advise. Become active in your school and community. Don't just waste your time away sitting at home doing nothing. Be open to new things and people. I know its hard for you to be around new people, but you should work harder to come out of your shell. College will offer you many opportunities to be active with others. Coming out of your shell now will make it so much easier. I know that the whole process can be a bit over-whelming if you wait and try to do everything that needs done all at once. So start early so that you can break the process down into easy to handle steps. Lastly, remember that you have many people willing to help you, LET THEM.

I remember not so long ago my outlook on education wasn?t so enthusiastic. I used to get very frustrated and feel I was always a couple paces behind the rest of the class. Since I was unable to decide what the best major for me was, I had convinced myself into thinking I wasn?t cut out for college. I continued concentrating on my job in hopes of one day receiving a promotion. I work as an account clerk in a Business Office. I have felt stuck or boxed in my current position. I could not see beyond my current position and the promotions never came. I have found a major that is suited for me which is Business Management and Civil Engineering. I plan on transferring to Ohio University and enrolling in the Bachelor of Technical and Applied Studies Dec., 2011. I have a lot of family support that is cheering me on and my outlook for the future is very positve now. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself never give up. Always believe in yourself and anything is possible. Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

I would tell myself a lot of things about college if I could go back in time. I would tell myself to not procrastinate about scholarships and get as much information as I can about them and just keep applying. I really needed more scholarship money since my dad lost his job. I would also tell myself to get as much information about entering college as I can and do not worry as much about the school work of high school. I would tell myself to talk to counselors at high school and college about how to get prepared and about the placement test. I feel that would have helped me to not feel so overwhelmed. I would also tell myself how different life at college will be. I would say that the workload will be high and it will be lonely at times, but I would tell myself to not get stressed about it because it will help me to be more independent. Most of all, I would tell myself that I am making the right decision about college and my major. I would say that I will like my major and see that it is right for me.

Listen Amber, I know that high school seems hard and nothing is turning out right but that will all change when you go to college. College is so much more than high school, with high school you're treated like a kid but with college you're treated like an adult. College is a stepping stone to the next level of life that is when you get to plan out your future, learning how to balance out finaces. Applying for finacial aid getting tips from adivors on what's the best plan for you. Amber you will be doing a lot on your own because college is giving you the chance to grow and letting go of your hand. I know now that you have to take your time when it comes to college because college is a big responisblilty, knowing what major you want, knowing how long your going to stay in school. Always keep those grades up if not then your going to have to pay for that class. This transition has not been smooth but when the roads bumps start to striaghten out things will go good and the blocks will fall into its proper place.

When I was a senior in high school, my life fell apart. My mom lost her job, we were having huge money problems, and I had fallen into a deep depression by the end. If I could go back, I would tell myself that college will be the best thing that I could ask for, and just to not lose hope. The next few months will be rough, but you will pick yourself up. When you get to Saginaw Valley (my first university), go into it with eyes wide open, and take care of yourself. Don't be as judgemental with people (including your roommates), and don't be afraid of classes. You will be a great student, but really consider getting tested for ADD early. It will save you a lot of pain. Be yourself, you will eventually find your group of friends in unexpected places. Great things will happen to you in the next few years. I know things are looking bleak right now. Trust me, I've literally been there. These few years have been hell. But listen to me when I tell you, you will be a stronger person at the other end of this journey.