River Forest, IL
Concordia University-Chicago

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Concordia University-Chicago

Natalie

All the energy you are spending worrying about boys (Denny included) is energy wasted. Do not worry about who you will spend your life with NOW. God has a plan for you, I promise. It looks much better from my perspective. Also, do not be afraid of Concordia's Lutheran tradition. Remember that you need to be open to listening to their beliefs as much as you think they need to be open to listening to yours. God has so much more for you than what you see now, and EVERYONE is trying to tell you that. Don't be afraid of being independent. You won't know how strong you are until you try it by yourself. Just TRY IT. And, heads up: pay attention to the mission work on the mission trip. Not Bryant.

I wish I would have known how to manage my meal plans better. My first year, I got the average meal plan, and it was excessive. My second year, I planned accordingly and signed up for the smaller meal plan instead. BAD IDEA. I had to rely heavily on friends with larger meal plans to make it through the year.

If you want a party atmosphere, do not come to Concordia. There are some students that drink and party, but the focus of the university is very adverse to that objective. Being at Concordia is about being in a Christian community and preparing for careers in the Church, Education System, and World. I do not want to say that non-Lutherans or non-Christians should not attend Concordia because the Christian atmosphere would give them what they need, but I will say that there is a STRONG Lutheran tradition and community felt among students.

Jacqueline

The advice I would give myself if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior about college would be, that I definitely need to concentrate more on my high school grades, instead of just always trying to have a passing grade. In high school everyone talks about needing to get good grades for college, but no one really puts much effort into it. All the students really just try to get a passing grade which is a C or a D. If I would have gotten better grades, I probably would have been able to attend a university instead of a community college. Now that i'm in college I have been striving to receive A's in classes, and so far i have succeeded. I find school very important and put much more effort in trying to get great grades.

Sandra

Concordia Chicago is a private, Lutheran school that excels in preparing students for a career in the field of education.

I would go back and tell myself that it is okay to let loose once in a while. Not everything has to be stone cold serious. I would have told myself that it is normal to let yourself have a little fun and not be afraid to procrastinate every so often.

I love that Concordia has a close-knit atmosphere. I do not feel like a number there, but rather that I have an identity and people respect me for the opinions I have. I feel like I am not going to get lost in a sea of people. I am my own person at Concordia.

This may or may not be true for everyone but this school actually feels like home to me. I had only seen two schools before coming to Concordia for a visit but once I got a tour of the campus I knew it was where I needed to go. I did not even look at another school afterwards, it was orginally made for my major, education, it is not so big that I feel rushed to get anywhere, and it is a private college.

I would have told myself that nothing is as important as maintaining good study habits. If you let yourself get behind than the homework and stress can consume you. I would also have told myself not to worry about roommates too much because I spent my entire summer worried about it even though it is relatively easy to switch roommates if it does not workout. I also would tell myself the benefits of going to the library for more than just getting resources, first semester I always did my homework in my room but there are to many distractions there and it was hard to focus. I now know that the library is my sanctuary when I really need focus and I feel more awake than in my own room. Ultimately I would remind myself not to stress over the small details because if I remember my homework, appointments, and deadlines and get everything done then it becomes a lot less of a task and I can schedule in a brake every now and then.

The best thing about Concordia is the size. It is great having smaller classes so everyone gets to interact during discussions. Also, if a student does not know everyone most often they at least recognize them; it makes it easier to make connections, rather than just talking to someone once or twice it is more likely that a student will actually get to know the people around them and possibly get a head start on networking. It also makes it easier to make appointments with academic advisors. Also it is easy to get to anywhere on campus in five minutes.

I would tell myself as a high school senior knowing what i know now in my first quarter of college to take it seriously! When i was a senior I was simply so ready to graduate high school and be out of there that I didn't take very much of my school work seriously. College is so much different than high school and I honestly feel that I was not ready for it, but I was thrown into it anyway and forced to grow up fast. My high school also did not prepare me for college well because they tolerated many things that a college never would. I would push myself harder to do the best that I could instead of slacking off like i did. Although I didn't do my absolute best I am glad I enjoyed the time with my classmates while i still had it. All in all if I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would have kept my butt in line!

Cassandra

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. As a college junior I am very active on my college campus. I'm a Residential Assistant on a freshman floor, captain of a track team, and somewhere between all of that I work a babysitting job, and continue working on my elementary education degree. I arived on campus August 10, 2011 ready for a year full of challenges and adventures. Once my residents, freshman girls, started moving onto my floor I started to think back to what I would have loved to know when I was in their position. I believe the only thing that would have truly calmed me were the words from Jeremiah 29:11. Knowing that my story has already been writen and that I am just watching it unfold. And when things get rough to know that they are all part of the plan, my struggles will make me stronger, my acomplishments will bring me joy, and my time at Concordia will bring me memories that will last a lifetime.

That there was no need to worry about anything. Everyone was very friendly and as long as you are yourself you will gain respect.

The food that is offered for on campus dining.

Kristen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give some advice on how to relax in school and enjoy the experience. I would tell myself to concentrate on trying to really learn the material being presented to me instead of just memorizing the facts for a test. Also, I would advise my past self to take a wide variety of classes since, often times, a person finds a new interest or even a career path simply by enrolling in a random class.

The best thing about Concordia University is that it is located in close proximity to the attractions of downtown Chicago. Through this school, I may find an internship at places like the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, the Chicago Botanic Garden, etc.

I tell my friends that I could possibly get an internship at one of the facilities of downtown Chicago or at other places, like the Morton Arboretum.

Felicity

Compared to the other schols that I was considering to attend, Concordia's small campus caught my eye. I love how the my biggest class is only about 65 students and my smallest class being 12 students. There is no way that my classes would have been as small at the Cal State and UC schools in California. It is very easy to get individual help from the professors or students, which makes the college life more bearable. I also love how close the school campus and downtown Chicago are, a 15 minute train ride.

Attending college has and continues to take me through new experiences. It has truly been a pleasure to have the opportunity to be able to attend an elite university. It has allowed me to prove to myself and others that anyone with motivation can do anything. I was born and raised in Palm Springs, California. I came from a lower income family, and as long as I can remember my family has always struggled financially. There have been many unfortunate events with my family and every experience I was put through turned me into the strong determined person I am today. College allowed me the perfect get away from my chaotic life with the family. Being so far away from home has taught me the meaning of true independence. I have learned to figure out my own financials and how to make it in life without needing my parents 24/7. Deciding to attend college in Chicago instead of California is truly an experience. At first it was a culture shock, but it has opened my eyes to new things. I am able to understand and grasp different aspects in others cultures.

Someone that likes to be unnoticed by their professors should not attend Concordia. Also someone that is interested in the greek system and lives to party should not attend this school.

Sara

I feel blessed to be attending SDSMT and I am studying hard for my Environmental Engineer degree. I am proud to be a good example for my children, to show them that one can change their situation to make a better future for themself at any age, through any hardships, and even with physical challanges. Also, learning about the sustainability of our earth and going to a school that values that has prompted me and my children to be more aware and contribute by recycling, growing plants and trees, conserving energy and water use, etc. I have learned to reach out to other students and professors for help with studies and appreciate the importance of networking. My children spend time at my school where they have met my professors, socialize and play games with students, enjoy their great food, and marvel at the emphasis that the school puts on "Green" living. Not only do I enjoy learning and have professional and personal goals that this schooling will help me to acheive (building my family a self-sufficient monolithic dome home), but my schooling has also opened up a whole new positive outlook on the future for myself and my children.

Devin

My school is best known for its religion because it's a lutheran based school and when it comes to enrolling in this school, if you have any lutheran backgrounds like going to a lutheran highschool, family attended this college, or anything like that those students will recieve extra money for scholarships rather than the students who really need them that come from rough backgrounds that are trying to make something of thems selves.

What I have gotten out of my college experience was to always have a back up plan an have a strong network because now a days it doesnt matter what school you went to or the grades you recieved while you were there, it's about the people you know and your plan for life. You have to have a strong network so when you need that job after college or just some connections in general, you have someone to call or have a referance because everyday it gets harder and harder and harder for people to get jobs that they want. I know a woman who has a assoicates, bacholers in two majors, and a masters and she still can't find a job, or a good one with the cridentials that she has and the worked that she has put in. She was a teacher in the city of Detroit, where I live and she got layed off. In that city, no teacher should be getting layed off, especially with her type of skill and knowledge but thats how hard getting a job is. Your back up plan you should have already planned since highschool.

The best thing is consider about the school is the people that attend the school. There are so many types of peole that attend here and since the campus is so small we all know each other and he all or mostly all hang out during school and the support of one another is closely high. If you need a study partner, help with work, misc. things or just anything in general, there is always some one around to hlep you out with anything.

Concordia University-Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.