River Forest, IL
Concordia University-Chicago

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Concordia University-Chicago

Matthew

I would tell myself not to worry so much. As a high school senior, I was very caught up in the pressures of finding a good school and picking a carreer. I would encourage myself to go to community college and explore the different fields at a reduced price so I could find my favorite major without feeling like i was wasting money. There is nothing to be afraid of, so I wish I hadn't worried so much about where I was going to end up. I am very happy with where I am now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I certainly couldv'e gotten here just the same with much less stress. So, past self, just relax. Things really will work out in the end.

The worst thing about my school is the price. It is more expensive than other schools, but they school is very generous with financial aid.

I brag about how friendly everyone is here. From the moment I got to this school, everyone I've met has been very helpful and friendly.

Jocelyn

The most important advice I could give myself or anyone else would be to learn how to make friends. The friends you meet in college are far more important than your major and they will last a lifetime. Prepare yourself to get involved and meet new people. College will also force you to expand or even change your comfort zones. If the change is for the better, it is beneficial to make the change. Also be prepared to work more on your own. In college, there are not teachers and other faculty members always available to wait on you hand and foot. It is important to learn how to solve problems on your own and become an independent person.

I wish I would have known about the lack of post graduation jobs or internships available. I feel as though the college has lacked in that area.

The type of person who should attend my college should be driven to succeed and willing to interact and cooperate with a variety of individuals. It would also be advantageous if the person is religious and seeking fellowship with other religious individuals of the same age.

Kimberly

Accept that you are learning maturity. This means two things: (1) you need to start growing up and (2) this is a process and you will mess up. This maturity frequently means doing what your mom would want you to do even though she isn't there to make sure you do it. Maturity needs to involve your whole life -- personal and professional. When one part of your life is hurting it will affect the other part, so be wise. Keep up with your work, but know when to say, "I've had enough." Build strong relationships with your friends, but know when to say, "I need to do my work." GET ENOUGH SLEEP! Everything suffers when you are exhausted. Finally, treasure this time. It is wonderful and it will be over far too soon.

I wish I had known that I would get so involved in the lives of my friends. It is completely different from high school because we live with our friends and see almost exclusively those people. I never thought that the most difficult part of college would be the relationships.

Most students do not care about whatever is not immediately surrounding them. Their faith, family, friends, and goals are important, but they are not very globally minded. They just do not seem to care (at least not enough to do anything about) things that are not midwestern or Lutheran. It is hard to generate very much interest in things like non-denominational international missions.

Dallas

Hey Dallas...Dallas...DALLAS! Yes, you! Will you please look up from your homework for like two seconds? Listen to me, it's important. You've been working like crazy for four years, getting superb grades, taking AP courses, and studying like it's goin' out of style. Don't worry, you already know you're getting into college. You already know you're getting a scholarship. What you don't know is what an incredible ride you are about to step on to. You've lived with structure, a commute, dinner on the table, quiet house at night. Are you ready for this? For the 2am pizza runs? For the last-minute projects? For the standing ovations, heartbreaks, ultimate frisbee, girls' nights, and bake sales? How about the class discussions that spill out of the classrooms into the courtyard? The professors who become second parents? The moments when you realize that you are sitting in a classroom and learning exactly what you will be doing only a few short years from now? Are you ready? Here's my advice...brace yourself. Enjoy every moment, and remember everything. It's a crazy ride, hang on tight and love it all.

How cold it actually is, that the buildings are super old, the the idea of "you don't really need a car" is a lie.

I'm guaranteed a job when I leave, my professors know me inside and out, the classes are preparing me for exactly what I'm going to be doing, so close to Chicago

Tim

I would tell myself not to be so worried about the transition and to do my best to manage my time. Just because there's less hours in class and the campus is alive until 2am on a weeknight doesnt' mean that you have to stay up that late.

I don't like our school's food service. The food is okay,a nd there's some variety, but most of it doesn't have enough flavor for my taste, or they'll run out of x y z ingredient.

Any kind of person, but especially someone open to different kinds of thinking or has respect for our religious background, because we are a LCMS-ran school. We're near the 'big city' of Chicago, so you'll have to like an urban atmosphere, too.

Erin

My classmates at Concordia are talented, brilliant, and uplifting people.

My classmates at Concordia are talented, brilliant, and uplifting people.

Concordia is unique in that they provide so many opportunities for their students to succeed by offering hands-on experiences in the areas that are most beneficial to their student's area of concentration.

For parents and students, I would highly recommend before settling down on one college, to visit all of the ones you are interested in, and ask many questions. Do not merely choose a college based off of a brochure or where your friends or parents want you to go. This is the time to pick what is going to be right for YOU as a student. Your parents may have loved their alma mater, but that doesn't mean that that particular college or university is going to have what you want and need to succeed. So talk to faculty and staff, meet current students and ask all of the questions you can think of, to get a good understanding of what each school is like. Consider the surrounding city and area, the climate, and types of extra curricular activities you want to participate in. Remember, this is YOUR future, the next 2-4 years (or more) of your life. Pick what fits best with you. Take advice from ones close to you, but let the decision of where you are going to college be your own. Don't forget that you are picking your your future experiences as well.

Andrew

Concordia is an excellent career focused.academically focused, friendly university.

I would suggest researching a variety of colleges that offer a well rounded program for whichever area of interest you are going to pursue. When your choice is made, get involved on campus. There are many people who are in the same "boat" as you are whether it be a first year college student or a transfer from another college. Most people are very friendly and as anxious as you may be to make friends. Enjoy .

Anyone who wishes to have a great college experience should attend this school.

Alexandra

Definitely pray about it! God already has the college picked out for you! In order to make the most of your college experience, make as many friends as you can during your first year and get involved!

I think the worst thing about my school is the cost. Many students need financial aid to attend and if they cannot afford it, they aren't able to go to school here without loans. And when they graduate, they are going to have to pay that all back, which can be difficult.

Anyone is welcome at Concordia University Chicago. But based on experience of being at this college, I really don't think people with a strong religious affiliation would feel like they "belong."

Most of the students are upper middle class and are pretty much all are Lutherans/Christians.

When looking for a college to go to, don't choose one just because your best friend is going there or because the weather is nice, try to pick a school that you feel you will be the most successful at. Visit as many schools as you can before or while your applying to them. Look for schools that have a lot of variety just in case your major changes. Small schools are really not that bad, they give students a more personal experience with their teachers and more one on one time. Remember Financial aid is your friend, take advantage of it! To make the most of your college experience, try to get involved in a sport or club. If your school is in a warm climate or its just a nice day outside try to bring your studies outside, its a good way to meet new people.

Someone who believes in God, wants to become a teacher and can afford the cost of tiutition.

Concordia University-Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.