River Forest, IL
Concordia University-Chicago

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Concordia University-Chicago

The school is most know for being a teacher college when it first opened and also being called Concorida River Forest. It is now called Concordia Chicago and most of the alumni are mad about the name change.

Don't get discouraged about all the stuff going on at school. College is way different and everyone will accept you the way you are and be your friend. You will meet a lot of nice and friendly people and have a great college experience. You will meet some great professors that you will remember the rest of you life. Some of the classes will be very difficult but you will work hard and get through them and the ones you don't pass you will try again and work even harder next time. You will meet some great freshman friends your sophomore year and you will be a great help them. You will become a family and grow stronger everyday and build a bond that will last forever.

The food because we have the same thing all the time. There is harly any variety in the food so a lot of people end up eating out or going out on the weekends. Also, security beccause they don't do anything and don't enforce the campus rules and regulations.

Alyssa

I would tell myself to do my research! College is a huge investment, of time and money, and ultimately helps define you as a person. Therefore where you go and what you study is a life changing decision. Take time and look at all your options, and most importantly make sure you give yourself options. Apply everywhere and anywhere you might possibly be interested in, that way you can see what you are offered and make your decision based on that. Also start applying as soon as you are able for scholarship and grants and any financial aid you can get your hands on. The most important thing is to take your time and pick a school that fits all of your needs as well as wants, because it is out there you just have to find it.

It is small and personal and therefore the teachers really know the students, it is very welcoming and easy to feel comfortable at. Not to mention it has an excellent education department (which is the field I am going into) and there is always a friendly face near by. In addition it is a mere train ride away from one of the United State's most famous cities!

I am new to this school so I have not found something that frustrates me yet. However from the schools (colleges) I have attended I found the most frustrating thing to be how impersonal and difficult to understand they were. As a freshmen I did not know where to go for help or who I should talk to. However thus far at my current school they have been more than helpful and I have had no problems.

Matthew

I would tell myself not to worry so much. As a high school senior, I was very caught up in the pressures of finding a good school and picking a carreer. I would encourage myself to go to community college and explore the different fields at a reduced price so I could find my favorite major without feeling like i was wasting money. There is nothing to be afraid of, so I wish I hadn't worried so much about where I was going to end up. I am very happy with where I am now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I certainly couldv'e gotten here just the same with much less stress. So, past self, just relax. Things really will work out in the end.

The worst thing about my school is the price. It is more expensive than other schools, but they school is very generous with financial aid.

I brag about how friendly everyone is here. From the moment I got to this school, everyone I've met has been very helpful and friendly.

Jocelyn

The most important advice I could give myself or anyone else would be to learn how to make friends. The friends you meet in college are far more important than your major and they will last a lifetime. Prepare yourself to get involved and meet new people. College will also force you to expand or even change your comfort zones. If the change is for the better, it is beneficial to make the change. Also be prepared to work more on your own. In college, there are not teachers and other faculty members always available to wait on you hand and foot. It is important to learn how to solve problems on your own and become an independent person.

I wish I would have known about the lack of post graduation jobs or internships available. I feel as though the college has lacked in that area.

The type of person who should attend my college should be driven to succeed and willing to interact and cooperate with a variety of individuals. It would also be advantageous if the person is religious and seeking fellowship with other religious individuals of the same age.

Kimberly

Accept that you are learning maturity. This means two things: (1) you need to start growing up and (2) this is a process and you will mess up. This maturity frequently means doing what your mom would want you to do even though she isn't there to make sure you do it. Maturity needs to involve your whole life -- personal and professional. When one part of your life is hurting it will affect the other part, so be wise. Keep up with your work, but know when to say, "I've had enough." Build strong relationships with your friends, but know when to say, "I need to do my work." GET ENOUGH SLEEP! Everything suffers when you are exhausted. Finally, treasure this time. It is wonderful and it will be over far too soon.

I wish I had known that I would get so involved in the lives of my friends. It is completely different from high school because we live with our friends and see almost exclusively those people. I never thought that the most difficult part of college would be the relationships.

Most students do not care about whatever is not immediately surrounding them. Their faith, family, friends, and goals are important, but they are not very globally minded. They just do not seem to care (at least not enough to do anything about) things that are not midwestern or Lutheran. It is hard to generate very much interest in things like non-denominational international missions.

Dallas

Hey Dallas...Dallas...DALLAS! Yes, you! Will you please look up from your homework for like two seconds? Listen to me, it's important. You've been working like crazy for four years, getting superb grades, taking AP courses, and studying like it's goin' out of style. Don't worry, you already know you're getting into college. You already know you're getting a scholarship. What you don't know is what an incredible ride you are about to step on to. You've lived with structure, a commute, dinner on the table, quiet house at night. Are you ready for this? For the 2am pizza runs? For the last-minute projects? For the standing ovations, heartbreaks, ultimate frisbee, girls' nights, and bake sales? How about the class discussions that spill out of the classrooms into the courtyard? The professors who become second parents? The moments when you realize that you are sitting in a classroom and learning exactly what you will be doing only a few short years from now? Are you ready? Here's my advice...brace yourself. Enjoy every moment, and remember everything. It's a crazy ride, hang on tight and love it all.

How cold it actually is, that the buildings are super old, the the idea of "you don't really need a car" is a lie.

I'm guaranteed a job when I leave, my professors know me inside and out, the classes are preparing me for exactly what I'm going to be doing, so close to Chicago

Tim

I would tell myself not to be so worried about the transition and to do my best to manage my time. Just because there's less hours in class and the campus is alive until 2am on a weeknight doesnt' mean that you have to stay up that late.

I don't like our school's food service. The food is okay,a nd there's some variety, but most of it doesn't have enough flavor for my taste, or they'll run out of x y z ingredient.

Any kind of person, but especially someone open to different kinds of thinking or has respect for our religious background, because we are a LCMS-ran school. We're near the 'big city' of Chicago, so you'll have to like an urban atmosphere, too.

Erin

My classmates at Concordia are talented, brilliant, and uplifting people.

My classmates at Concordia are talented, brilliant, and uplifting people.

Concordia is unique in that they provide so many opportunities for their students to succeed by offering hands-on experiences in the areas that are most beneficial to their student's area of concentration.

For parents and students, I would highly recommend before settling down on one college, to visit all of the ones you are interested in, and ask many questions. Do not merely choose a college based off of a brochure or where your friends or parents want you to go. This is the time to pick what is going to be right for YOU as a student. Your parents may have loved their alma mater, but that doesn't mean that that particular college or university is going to have what you want and need to succeed. So talk to faculty and staff, meet current students and ask all of the questions you can think of, to get a good understanding of what each school is like. Consider the surrounding city and area, the climate, and types of extra curricular activities you want to participate in. Remember, this is YOUR future, the next 2-4 years (or more) of your life. Pick what fits best with you. Take advice from ones close to you, but let the decision of where you are going to college be your own. Don't forget that you are picking your your future experiences as well.

Andrew

Concordia is an excellent career focused.academically focused, friendly university.

I would suggest researching a variety of colleges that offer a well rounded program for whichever area of interest you are going to pursue. When your choice is made, get involved on campus. There are many people who are in the same "boat" as you are whether it be a first year college student or a transfer from another college. Most people are very friendly and as anxious as you may be to make friends. Enjoy .

Anyone who wishes to have a great college experience should attend this school.

Concordia University-Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.