Fairleigh Dickinson University-Metropolitan Campus

« See more reviews of Fairleigh Dickinson University-Metropolitan Campus

Look for a school with strong guidance, a solid core education, and a balance of academic and non-academic programs. I?ve had good and bad advisors. Bad advisors make college difficult. It is impossible to work through a course catalog, and determine which will satisfy degree requirements, and relate to the students personal goals. Good advisors provide background information, know many of the professors, and know who to ask for more information. Colleges have a responsibility to provide a comprehensive education. The classes required for any degree are the manifestation of this. A lot of people change careers. Especially for them, and for many people still in their original careers, the general education proves more valuable than the degree specific education. Non-academic programs are part of the education a college provides. For many students, college is the first time they are living away from home. Later, they will need to balance their lives and work, so learning to balance their lives with school is great training. Everything is about finding balance: balancing specific education with general education; balancing academics with the non-academic. If I have one piece of advice, it is to find a school with balance.

The advice that I would give parents and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is timing is everything. When it comes to finding the right college you have to start early. It is a good idea during freshman year of high school to achieve in academics and sports/clubs. Then around sophomore year of high school, parents/students should start considering colleges/universities and see what requirements are needed to be accepted. When these standards are known, then the rest of high school can be dedicated to meeting these requirements. By the time the student is a senior they will be sent to venture into college. When the student is finally accepted into the college/university of choice, they'll have to get familiar with the college life. The first advice for having a positive college experience is surrounding you with the right individuals. People, who enhance your life, not delay success. Also, the way to make the most of the college experience is to prioritize. A student should realize that everything has its place. Its just the order they organize it within their lives that make or break an individual.

I believe that finding the right college is the key to ones success. Students along with parents are vital in making this life chaning decision. To me, it was hard choosing a college that catered to my needs. A balance between academics and personal needs is important. One must take into account not only the ranking of the school in the area one is interested in pursuing a career, but most importantly ambiance. Investigate every aspect of the potential choice, from location to staff. Most of one?s time will be at that particular institution and one needs to feel comfortable and accepted. It is important to remember that a college career prepares one for their future career. It is not all books and information. Look for a school that has hands on training, one that puts the theory into practice. One that doesn?t look for extrinsic grains but rather making an army of well rounded citizens that will make a change in the field they pursue. Another important key is to visit the schools, do not rely on the internet and brochures; go out look and experience. These simple points will make a world of difference.

Above all I would advise any prospective high school student to stay curious; or become curious if they are not already! If students could be encouraged to question more and become engaged in dialogue as part of the learning process they will find high school much more enjoyable and much more educational. A related piece of advice would be to cultivate a passion for something; some subject of interest. Look for connections between what you're interested in and what is being taught in the classroom. In most cases they are connected it just takes a little digging to see the connections. Don't rely on your teachers to show you these connections (they may not know about them). Use your curiosity to find them yourself. These discoveries will be more meaningful and educational if you find them yourself anyway.Remember who your peers are. In the global community your peers are not simply your classmates. Take this time to broaden your horizons and recognize how connected everyone and everything is. This sounds like a tall order but using the previous advice it can be done and it can be fun! Just Have Fun.

Spending four years in high school without a mentor was not a good experience. I turned to my guidance counselor, and some of my teachers for certain questions about college. However, I feel that it would have been a different and, probably, a much better experience if I had a mentor who was there to guide me through my high school years in order to help me prepare for college. My knowledge was very much limited when it came to scholarships and community service. My college of choice was selected in June, the same month of my high school graduation; meaning, I had a very stressful senior year. The two things I knew for certain were: to stay out of trouble, and maintain good grades. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to become involved in the community by serving as a mentor for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in high school to help them start their college selection process early. College preparation starts in 9th grade; not 12th. Had I been aware of such valuable information, the beginning of my college years would have been much easier.

It's that time of the year, the last year of high school. Look how far you have come in life! Can you finish it off? Here's some advice for some financial success...Apply for scholarships girl! If you don't start now, you will regret later on. You may be saying in the back of your head that "colleges only admit students by SAT scores and academics", but trying is more positive than saying no to yourself at all. You may have a difficult time thinking about colleges that you want to attend but always remember to apply for scholarships throughout your senior year. Apply to different schools other than your local area. Play basketball instead of going to work after school. The university you will attend after this year will reflect your future. Study everyday that you can so you will be ahead of yourself and believe me, this will help your future. Look for extra volunteering services around your school or in Princeton, many scholarships will be coming up and judges will be looking at you as a wonderful student. Lastly, don't stop until you reach your goals. Press on to succeed!

The first thing I would say to a parent or student when searching for the right college is base your decsion on not just one aspect of the school. Eventhough a school may have a top program in what your are going to study it is also important to take into consideration the environment, students, staff, financially suitable, as well as other extra perks they may offer. FDU is a school that not only has one of the best nursing schools in the state, but it has a extremely helpful staff and is always willing to help you gain all the knowledge that you wish to accumulate. Some time you hear people say, "I heard that was a party school". Dont go by comments of others find out first hand. "Party" may not be the correct word, it is important to have a social experience in college it prepares you for life it does not always in include alcohol. Follow your gut when it comes to making your college or university choice. :) AND dont be afraid of going away from home it will make you a stronger and independent individual. REMEMBER TO CHOOSE A CARRER YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A college experience is whatever you make of it. I tend to disagree with that statement because students are not going to college for the same reasons anymore. The University concept to me was a world of diversity and I am not talking about culture. When I was in high school, I couldn't wait to attend college because I wanted to unite with students who shared the same devotion as I did. My whole perception of college crumbled when I attended little gatherings in dorms around campus. It was all about drinking and smoking; immaturity followed me. Little that the school knew, which they are still proabably unaware of, there was a drug dealing business going on in one of the dorms. Nobody finds it interesting that there is so much foot traffic going into one of the dormortories. I realized it wasn't worth paying to live on campus. I suppose that was one of the ironic lessons to become a well rounded student. One piece of advice I would give to any high schooler, make a few friends at the school before they enroll. College is overrated so do what you need to do and get out.

Knowing what I know now about college, there are a few words of wisdom that I would have like to have taken more to heart my freshman year. For one, never drink anything that sounds like it could possibly breed mosquitoes (ie swamp muck, jungle juice, etc). The people that mix these drinks could put a number of things in them without the drinker ever knowing. I now know that I should never drink anything unless I open it myself or watch someone mix it. Also, there is nothing wrong with not wanting to be in a sorority or fraternity that does questionably sane things on a regular basis. If people don?t want to be your friend because you won?t go through their insane pledge processes than they really don?t value you the way you should be valued in the first place. Lastly, stick to your personal beliefs (religious or otherwise) and professional goals. Remember to always be pleasant and present yourself the best way you can, you never know who can help you out later in life. College is about finding your own path, not treading down the other one with everyone else.

My experience at Fairleigh Dickinson University couldn’t have been better! In my campus in Teaneck I have every single resource I have needed. Sincerely, I consider myself very lucky to be a student of FDU. Every time I have misunderstood a class my teachers have been there for me, and even when this didn't help there were tutors there for me! I have achieved to become a member of the Honors Program and the Global Scholars Program thanks to all the academic support they offered me. I enjoyed every aspect of my life at FDU. I have class mates from China, India, England, Vietnam, Africa and have met students from all over the world. Even the food at FDU is delicious! There are so many clubs and events that it has been impossible for me to get bored. There is always soemthing to do. I have felt at home at FDU because, honestly, the faculty and personnel at FDU have treated me as if I was their daughter! As I look back at my first semester in FDU there is deffinetely no place I would rather have been, and absolutely the place I want to continue my studying.