Steubenville, OH
Franciscan University of Steubenville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Franciscan University of Steubenville

Margaret

I did not discover the value of college until I overcame my stubborness and attended an institution last year. Originally thinking that I knew enough, I desperately avoided college, futilely. Now, after a year of college education, I realize that pursuing higher studies holds benefits. College taught me, first of all, how to live far from my family, make choice on my own, and live independently. The transition, though difficult, was necessary, and by going to college, I experienced the harship surrounded by peers undergoing the same change. My freshman year provided more than maturation. I realized that my knowledge was not sufficient. In just one year, I learned not only about the fine habits of a professional actress and the miniature parts of a microscopic cell, but I also discovered useful information in my area of study, English. From reading more critically to writing mroe professionally, I grew ever closer to my goal of becoming an author. All of this, I would never have experienced without college. University studies contain great importance and unimaginable value in shaping me into the adult I need to be.

My favorite aspect about this school is its emphasis on providing a well-rounded atmosphere. While pushing students to do their very best and to apply themselves to their utmost in regards to academics, the school nevertheless understands the importance of a well-balanced life. In addition to the rigorous classes offered, the school provides outlets for staying healthy through exercise and for fostering both their social and their spiritual lives.

Anyone who wants to receive a challenging education will find Franciscan University to be a wonderful fit. With smaller class sizes and friendly professors, students learn in a supportive, yet demanding atmosphere. In addition, this school is meant for any student searching for the truth. Full of faith-filled students, this campus provides strength to believers and answers for seekers.

My classmates are people who are interested in the classes and are willing to help out other classmates who may not fully understand what is going on in the classroom.

I have gotten many things out of college. The first and foremost is the education I have recieved at my school. Without this education I would not be able to do well in the career that I want to get into. The second thing is the lifetime friends that I know I have gotten, even after just one year. Most of the people I have met I foresee as friends who I will continue to talk to long after I leave the school. Also life on campus helps people see how life in the real world is: coed and work hard to achieve goals. I expect to get more out of college every year I continue to attend this school!

I think the campus life is one of the best things about the school because campus life includes the people as well as the activities that go on around campus and the people are so nice and always willing to accept new people without judgement.

Franciscan University is wonderful in its academics, its social programs, its following of the Catholic tradition, its size and its environment.

From living on campus I have been able to mature greatly as an adult. I have learned about finances and about living on my own. I live in the dorms so I have also learn what it is like to live with another person. I had the experience of getting a job on campus which was also a learning experience. I work on the grounds crew and had to learn about all of the different types of plants around campus. I also took a year to declare my major. That was a tough decision, I declared Early Childhood/ Intervention Education. I want to help the mainstreamed and inclusion students in my classroom. I learned how important an education is, and am learning how to fund one. I have also grown in my Catholic faith, partly due to the Catholic environment at my school. It is a very supportive environment and my friends are also supportive.

Someone looking for a large school with excellent food. They shouldn't be people who do not like the Catholic faith because the environment of the school is wonderfully Catholic. It also should not be someone looking to live in a big city, or someone who does not like to walk on hills.

My school, even though it is academically challenging, it is most known for its Catholic aspect. The motto here is "academically challenging, passionately Catholic" and it is no less than that. Everywhere you go there is something extremely Catholic going on, like praise and worship, or just some people in spontaneous prayer. I am willing to bet that this campus is the most uplifting paces to be when going to college.

So far I have only been here for less than two months, but in that time my life has been changing so much for the better. Being here has been allowing God to work in my life, and He has given me so many blessings. Also, being on such a small campus I am getting to know so many people. They are all amazing, and instead of being judged and stared at, everyone here wants to be friends! And even though it has just begun, my classes are teaching me so many things I would have never thought twice about before, and I am so excited to get to know everything I can so I can pass it on to the next generation.

The most frustrating thing about Franciscan University is the fact that there is not enough time in a day to get everything done that you want to get done! There is so much that goes on around campus, just jump into something!

Maria

My school is best known for its unique Catholic identity. It is pretty much the opposite of any state school in every way. At a state school, classes are large and the minority of the people are religious. Here, classes are small and the minority of the people drink and do drugs. Instead of getting pressured to drink and do drugs, we are "pressured" in a sense to go to Mass everyday. In our sororities and fraternities, drinking and partying is replaced with prayer. The Catholic faith is lived out to the fullest.

I am majoring in Theology and Catechetics (Religious Education). The other schools I considered only had a Theology program. If I wanted to learn how to teach I would have to double major in Theology and some form of education. At Franciscan there is a Catechetics program where it teaches you how to specifically teach religion.

Dear Maria, I know you are scared right now about what the future will bring. However, I have been to the future and have come to bring you good news and to give you some advice! First of all, STOP WORRYING SO MUCH!!! It is highly unnecessary. You are more capable of living on your own and taking initiative than you think. There are no cliques at Franciscan and no one is going to judge you on what you do and don't do. You will make friends, and the friends you make will grow closer to you in a week than your friends in high school did in four years. Maria, if I could only transmit to you how happy I am all of your doubts would melt away! I never knew that it was possible to actually WANT to go to class and enjoy every minute of it. Once you get here you will see that the major you chose is what you're meant to do and will interest you for the rest of your life. Enjoy the rest of your high school career, and then get out there and LIVE!! Love, Your Future Self

Casey

The student body at Franciscan University of Steubenville is open and welcoming, and though some are more talkative than others, everyone without exception is willing to help their classmates with whatever they need, and they are all wonderful.

Making the transition from high school to college life can certainly be filled with anxiety, but my experience turned out to be much less difficult than I had anticipated. Some of my pre-college worries included homesickness, falling behind in classes, being lonely, and not getting along with my roommate. My greatest fear was that of the unknown: a feeling of anxiety at the mystery of college life and all its new trials. My advice to a high school senior is twofold: take your time, and get involved! The first couple of weeks at my new school were difficult, and I did worry a lot and I missed home for the first weekend, but after that I got involved and I was too busy to be worried about useless things. I realized that my friends were becoming as close as family, and that I would never be lonely without them. I made friends in classes and formed fun study groups to keep up with studies when midterms and finals came around. My roommate became my best friend, and all was well. Of course the unknown can be intimidating, but the best thing to do is jump in with both feet!

Those who are not willing to put effort into their college education are the only ones who should not attend Franciscan University of Steubenville. This is a Catholic school, and this unity in religion creates a welcoming, safe, and supportive atmosphere, however, not everyone here is Catholic. Everyone enjoys the experience they have here. The academics are certainly challenging and with a comfortable student to teacher ratio and no teacher's assistants, the students really have to keep up and account for everything they are responsible for.

Matthew

This would be my advice. Be true to what you want to do with your life. Be open to the possibilities and focus on what you love. Don't worry so much about the money, you'll find a way of making ends meet. Work hard and stay on top of things and the money will come. Don't worry so much about what other people think or what they're going to do with their lives. You're going to make so many more friends who will be with you for the rest of your life. Be yourself and find something that you will love doing every day of your life. Don't forget what you believe in and never abandon your faith. It will steer you right when everything else seems to be going wrong. Remember how much you love working with people and know that the reward of doing that can never be measured in terms of salary. Look around and see what you truly love. Take it all in and then take a confident step forward. If you keep doing this, you'll end up where you're supposed to be.

Someone who is very much interested and in love with their Catholic faith will love this school. This school strikes the perfect balance of being both charismatic and orthodox. There is an extremely strong sense of community here that I don't believe you will find anywhere else. Anyone looking for a great Catholic school, with a great community, and top notch academics will love it here.

Possibly the most frustrating thing about Franciscan is the location. Steubenville isn't the nicest or cleanest of cities in the world. It's a nice town with a midwest feel to it, but it's in the middle of the old steel industries and it shows its age a little bit. The water quality could be a little better, but when you're on campus you don't really notice any of this other stuff because the campus is pretty nice.

Kristina

Franciscan University of Steubenville is best known for it's passionate commitment to Catholicism and being academically challenging. It's nursing program is one of the top twenty in the nation. Franciscan is one of a very few universities that offers a Pre-Theologate Program. Also, they have their own campus in Gaming, Austria which 80% of Franciscan students choose to attend within their years here. Most importantly, it is known for having students and professors that help each other become more complete, happier people.

Apply for more scholarships. Smile and introduce yourself to people, because they are just as nervous to be there as you are. Thank your parents for helping you get to where you are and letting you sleep at their house. Bring silverwear, slippers, and earplugs. Work hard at the beginning of the semester, because it only gets harder. I would tell my high-school-senior-self not to be afraid of change because it is going to happen, the only thing you can do is make sure it's a good change. Also, I would tell her to get involved in activities, because that is the best way to find yourself and some great friends.

Someone who is not open-mined should not attend Franciscan. Also, I would not recommend this school to someone who doesn't have a lot of commitment and a strong work ethic. Anyone who doesn't like cold, snowy weather would find December through the end of March hard to handle. Someone who is only interested in college for the party scene or Fraternity/Sorority experience. Anyone who is not interested in improving thier academic, spiritual, and social abilities in order to become a more well-rounded person.

Roger

My school is best known for being Passionately Catholic and Academically Challenging.

I would have told myself to take my classes seriously, to be myself and to not try so hard to fit it. I would let the high school senior me know that once I got to college I would find my own niche and I would feel welcome.

A very liberal, pro-choice, atheist person. As a very conservative Catholic University, that type of person would most likely not enjoy their time at Franciscan University.

Franciscan University of Steubenville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.