Furman University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Furman University

Loni

As I reflect on my college experience at Furman University, I think about how much Furman stresses diversity. As a person of color I was intrigued by the amount of improvement that this University has made to continue to strive for a more inclusive and diverse environment. I am very involved in many of the organizations on this campus that are built around many ethnicities and cultural variety backgrounds that are about how we can make changes happen for our campus and our community. To name a few: Furman University International Association, Student League of Black Culture and NAACP. Furman has overall really been a amazing place that I call home for the past three years. There is something special about being apart of organization that provide a space to voice opinions and activate change. I am ever so thankful for this experience that Furman has given me and that continues to promote for all people in this community.

Shalick

Furman University is an amazing school filled with a plethora of opportunities for its students. The campus is beautiful, with its own lake and a Bell Tower. There are fountains throughout the campus and even a rose garden that overlooks the lake, There's a friendly face wherever you go.

Tityana

I personally think it is a great school with excelling academics but as a black female, it can be a little tedious being on a predominantly white campus. But the diversity on this campus is mediocre and the things we do inside and outside Furman's campus could be better with the right funding towards causes that are important. There's little black Greek life on campus and that affects the amount of black students who apply to this school. It's an endless cycle which prevents black fraternities and sororities from establishing chapters!

Christina

Furman University is the best! I loved every minute of my experience here and I wish I could go back. The campus is the most beautiful place in the world and every day is like walking in a wonderland. I highly recommend checking out Furman University. I miss it every day!

Jenny

The university isn't diverse racially but many of the students here are open minded to learning about new things and is a good environment to be around. Furthermore, the CLP programs they have here is awesome! From going to an art gallery, attending international festivals, to listening to a lecture from actual researchers about their studies, it is a great place to learn.

logan

I love Furman; my decision to come here was so easy. Everyone here is so welcoming, it is so easy to get involved, there isn't a class over 30 students, the professors are here to help you, and everyone wants you to succeed. The food could be improved, and there should be a 24 hour food service, but other than that I have no complaints!!

Kris

Furman University is an amazing school with many resources to benefit the student body as a whole. The campus environment is very accepting and many of the professors will get to know you on a first name basis. There are dozens of programs to choose from and the academics in every department are top notch.

Kathryn

Furman is a unique place with a lot to offer. Sometimes the work can be a little overwhelming, but most students will step in to help a fellow peer out. It's safe, fun, academically rigorous, very friendly (to the extent that people will hold the door even if you're 100 feet away ), and being so close to downtown Greenville, SC is a huge bonus. Overall, it's a great investment.

Cole

Furman offers excellent academics, and as a member of the football team, I can attest to the fact that you can find a balance of academics and athletics here. While many aspects of Furman are great, FuPo and the overall rules around campus are borderline unbearable. Want to park ur car on campus? I bet you accrue at least 300 dollars in tickets over your 4 years, plus fines for acting like normal college kids such as having a drink.

Caitlin

Being an out of state student, I had never heard of Furman University until a family friend living in the Greenville, South Carolina area told my family about it. Reading about the college is one thing but taking a tour of the campus is what really persuaded me to highly consider the college. Coming onto campus, I just really felt at home and the whole campus has absolutely beautiful scenery. So far I have really enjoyed my classes and the professors are really supportive, reply to emails quickly, and are very happy to have you visit them during office hours. Overall, I have enjoyed my short time here so far and I really look forward to spending the next three years here as well!

It is more dead than I thought it would be, not much of a social aspect.

Darryl

I love Furman University. My decision to attend Furman was easy. The students, staff and faculty welcomed me from the beginning by sharing information about the University and how I can become involved in the various activities on campus. The food is good but I do wish the weekend hours were longer. The Athletic Center (PACC) is open to all and I often use it.

Furman is a small enough school where you do not feel alone, but also big enough where not everyone knows your business. Education is competitive, and professors are understanding if anything is happening to students personally. Therapy is available on campus, which is excellent. The music program is the most challenging in the state of South Carolina, so do not apply if you are not prepared for a challenge. Scenery is beautiful, and most of staff are kind and caring.

Charles

Furman University is a small liberal arts college in Greenville, SC. The school's small size provides for many opportunities. The small class sizes helps students build relationships with faculty and other students. Furman's classes are moderately rigorous, but provide enough challenge intellectually. Furman helps provide students with skills to help them grow as people rather than to just get a degree. The only draw away Furman has is its cost. At times, I find myself thinking that this school is not worth as much as I am paying. However, the university is very generous in giving scholarships and attempt to make everything as affordable as possible. I would recommend any student to visit and/or apply to Furman University.

Sarah Grace

Furman University, in my opinion, is the best school in South Carolina. It has the best food, academics, and makes you feel like you fit in. There is an opportunity for everyone to get involved with a group or activity. You never feel left out of anything!

muneeba

Furman is ok. If you're looking for diversity, then this is not your place. They tend to get students here for diversity but no inclusion takes place. Affordability is also hard since it is a private school and it is the mot expensive school in the south east (their brags, not mine). They tend to give you options if a student is going through something but they usually aren't the right options.

Hailey

Gorgeous campus set in a natural setting. Professors are nice and host activities outside of the classroom. Student body is not very diverse at all. Not a large variety of sports offered. Nearby town of Greenville is very accessible, modern, and hip; it has a great vibe. Music department is fantastic. Overall a good liberal arts school, but nothing more.

Payton

Furman University was my home away from home. The professors there helped cultivate passions and interests in me I’d never expected. I have made lifelong connections with those professors and staff on campus. Living on-campus all four years is a bonus, it builds such a great community. The size is great and the rigor is challenging but manageable. Plus the campus is beautiful. I wouldn’t have traded my experiences there for anything

Furman has many great opportunities for its students, but not opportunities that are worth nearly 70K a year. Furman is greedy for money. As a first generation student receiving full financial aid, Furman has been very unhelpful in trying to find the resources I need to succeed on their campus. If I were able to live off campus, I would be much more equipped to pay for my education there, except Furman requires all students to remain on campus the entirety of their four years there, even though apartments just a few minutes away are much cheaper. They are much less concerned with the voice of the student body than they are with grooming the lawns on campus. That being said, Furman also has amazing staff and incredibly influential professors and a beautiful campus to call your home for the four years you stay there. Only worth it if you really have the money to spare, if not you can get the same quality education for a fraction of the price.

Haegen

excellent academic program, pretty intense curriculum for undergraduate studies. well known for high cost of tuition and beautiful campus