Washington, DC

Gallaudet University

« See more reviews of Gallaudet University

From what I can tell the student body is extremely diverse in terms of race, ethnicity, nationality, American geography, communication preference, age, sexual orientation and gender identity, disability, educational background, and language. Unfortunately, those differences often seem to hang there like the "elephant in the room" and I mostly see students breaking off to be with other students who are culturally similar. The student body is not very politically active, unless it has something to do with deaf issues.

I'm a class of 2011, my classmates are great. We come from different states, some of them are outside of United States. From there, we meeting many new people from diversity places, states, and school. From there, we made many new friends and during our freshman year, we all living in same dorm which is for freshman kids only so it's so nice for us to meeting all freshmen in dorm. We getting know eachothers mostly from dorm not in classroom. My classmates are very unique. We treat each others like a family!

The majority of classmates tend to party often, but there are also groups of classmates who choose to go against the society and become non-conformists. Diversity is not very high at the campus, but once you get around and know people better, you realize that Gallaudet University is far more diverse in a unique way than you'd initially think.

Interesting as they come from different backgrounds but one thing we share in common is our deafness for the most of the students here.

My classmates are competitve, outgoing, and passionate in all fields of interest.

Lecturer use sign language as vital communicate to hearing impaired students.

They have very diverse background, easygoing and generally friendly students.

na