George Washington University

« See more reviews of George Washington University

I love GW because the people care so much about how they will impact/change the world for the better. Although the students are famed to be spoiled, I feel like there are people like that everywhere, and I'd rather them be spoiled and yet still care about their work than simply the former, which I have found to be the case in several institutions. I think the size is just right, people think GW is awesome from what I can tell. I lovvve the campus. A lot of people assume there isn't one since it's in DC but that's why it's amazing: it has a campus and has the benefits of a city school. The college town is essentially DC although we tend to share a lot of hotspots with Georgetown. Youre kind of on your own in terms of dealing with a lot of the administrative aspects since it's such a large school, but that's part of life. I feel there is a lot of school pride.

GW is a great city school. It's right in the middle of everything-we have a metro on the Blue and Orange lines, which are really the only lines worth taking. We're also very close to DuPont Circle, Georgetown, Adam's Morgan, U St., and we're less than four blocks away from the White House. It's a great size; you see someone you know almost anywhere you go. There is a variety of restaurants, delivery services, etc. in the area, so you're never hungry--although there are no dining halls. Advising is tough; you don't really feel connected with any academic advisers. The GW Hatchet is a bi-weekly newspaper that has won awards, and the articles are often well-written and witty. The one thing that really bothers me about this school is how often people complain--about jobs, school work, or simply how much they hate DC. If you hate it so much, TRANSFER!

A lot of times when I tell people I go to GW, they ask if it's the same thing as Georgetown. This local rivalry tends to be a sore spot around campus, as some people call us Georgetown Waitinglist, or GW for short. However, at this point, the schools are not very different when it comes to academics. We have some fields that are stronger, as do they. The main difference is the style and personality of the campus. Where Georgetown is a very traditional campus which prides itself on its history, GW is a more unique school which is up and coming. They have a traditional campus, we have a very urban campus. They have dining halls, we have colonial cash to spend throughout the city. They are resting on their laurels, relying on their past prestige, while we create new prestige each and every day.

-Best thing: Living in the city, in an urban campus -Change: More school spirit, sense of community -Size: perfect -WHen i say im from GW: positive, not everyone knows about it, but know its a good school -Spend most time: in winter, in my dorm, when its warm, in kogan plaza, somewhere outside, its beautiful -College Town -Administration: Not bad, could be better, should be more attentive and supportive to students one on one -Biggest recent controversy: Swastikas drawn in dorms, one silly freshman did it -School pride: present, but could be better -Unusual: no football team, not many popular frat parties anymore like last year. -Experience I'll always remember: everything about freshmen year, it was a great experience -Frequent complaints: Same people, GWorld(student meal plan)

The best thing about GW is the tight-knit campus. Despite the fact that there are many students, if you make an effort, you will make so many friends. If I could change anything, I would expand housing options and clean up the freshman and sophomore dorms so that they compare to the junior and senior housing options. I spend most of my time in the Marvin Center (Student Union building), my sorority house or just hanging around where ever my day seems to take me. Although we are only four blocks from the White House, I do feel as though we are in a college town. GW's administration is okay, it could be better though. There is a pretty fair amount of school pride- it just depends on the group of people you surround yourself with.

GW is not your typical college. We don't have rolling green hills, crazy pride with our sports teams or that we're all blonde or super smart. Yes we have our stereotypes, but you will seriously find every kind of student here from the ones with the long hair playing guitar on the quad, to the frat boys throwing around the football in front of the sorority houses to the kid who never seems to not be in a business suit. Its almost like living in the real world but not quite. We're not protected by some big gate - walk five blocks in either direction and you're in the city, but you still sometimes get a sense of the bubble. So you can really chose how to live your GW experience, either in the bubble or taking a step outside.

my favorite thing about GW is the location. DC is an incredible place with so many things to do and see ranging from an exciting nightlife to some amazing monuments. the size, to me, is just right because i did not want a large state school setting but i also did not want a small school where you would know everyone in your graduating class. what's unique, and perhaps slightly disappointing, is that there is no football team here. that is maybe why there doesn't appear to be a large amount of school pride or school spirit. although the basketball games are a lot of fun and do demonstrate the pride and spirit the students do have for GW, it still seems to be a little less than schools with football teams.

My school was un-supportive of my interdisciplinary major proposal. As well, the Columbian College does little to substantially enrich the lives of their students as does the SoB and the ESIA. I feel that the Columbian College has a poor course selection in most majors. In economics, there are few specialized course titles, and even then they are very broad. The professors are very well qualified in my department, but I feel at times they are unable to utilize their skills. I am barely challenged enough inside the classroom, and the academic environment outside of the classroom is nonexistent. Gw is a great college town, and the MT Vernon campus offers the small college life to those who want it.

The City is probably the best thing about GW. There's pretty much always something to do. I'd change mandatory spending at J Street, It really sucks. Also, I'd make the adminsitration more accessable. It's pretty easy to get lost in the cracks here. Most people react positively when I say I go to GW. Because we're awesome! There's been a few controversies on campus this year. Sarah Marshak: the swastika girl, was probably the most insane. It's pretty much that and the "Islamofacsism Awareness Week" satirical posters. Oh, and one of the school presidential candidates getting kicked off he ballots. There's school pride at basketball games, and most people wear their GDubbs wear a lot.

GW's close proximity to the white house, monuments, museums and general downtown D.C. area is a huge advantage of the school. Students can take part in all the city has to offer. And, a huge range of internships are readily available. However, the freshman year experience can be a bit daunting to those not used to cities, and just nervous about college in general. There is no communal dining hall. Although sophomores, juniors and seniors enjoy having open dining options, a dining hall experience would be nice for some freshmen. In my opinion, there are no successful programs that really get freshmen to feel a part of the campus.