Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

The kind of person that should not attend this college must not able to manage stress, a heavy workload, or failure well at all. This person must not want a career in engineering, architecture, computer science, or any other field involving math and science. The kind of student that should not attend this school is either very liberal or very much into law. Although my school has a fascinating liberal arts program, it is still very technical compared to other schools. Lastly, a person that does not want to attend sixteen semesters or more in school should not attend.

It's difficult to examine my school and develop the characteristics of a person who shouldn't attend, because I believe, in the beginning, I was that person. I lived 1000 miles away in the northern progressive city of Boston where I developed a strong sense of cultural diversity at the country's oldest public high school. Georgia Tech, however, is situated in the very conservative South in a relatively new city where most of the campus population is white male. Based upon these facts, I shouldn't have attended this school, but I'm glad I did.

Since the school offers few majors that aren't math or science related (and even the non-science/math related majors require at least one computer science, natural science, and math class), at least a tolerance of the subjects required. In other words, if you detest math and science, you probably won't like Tech. Additionally, success in courses requires quite a bit of work. If you aren't willing to spend a considerable amount of time learning the material both through assignments and on your own, Tech isn't the place for you.

If you're not willing to put the time into keeping up grades--whether this means sacrificing fraternity parties, putting a hold on your favorite reality shows, or simply bypassing shopping trips with friends--then you probably weren't cut out for Georgia Tech. The rigorous curriculum of GT teaches students important lessons on time management and dedication. The degree at the end of the journey holds such high esteem in a degrading economy, but it is also well-earned by a focused and determined student.

Anyone who prefers hands-on learning and practical knowledge to abstract theoretical knowledge. This school focuses almost entirely on research and is ill-suited for real-world problem solving most of the time. The workload is so demanding as to be absurd. Anyone who works a part-time job to help fund their astronomical out-of-state tuition (as I do) will find this school unbelievably challenging. Anyone who wishes to have an active social life and grow emotionally should not choose this school.

Someone who isn't determined and isn't ready to give all they've got to their education. Georgia Tech is a school for the strong-willed and the strong-minded. Those who aren't prepared to have a strong commitment to their field or a passion for learning shouldn't either. Although, Georgia Tech isn't expensive, it does take a small drain on funds. Beyond that, it is a technical school. Someone who isn't interested in the sciences or some other similar area, should not attend. It is not for them.

Georgia Institute of Technology offers a wide variety of degrees. However, it mainly focuses in engineering and the sciences. Therefore, someone who does not particularly enjoy math and science or it is not their forte should not attend this school. Even the basic required classes are quite rigorous and time consuming. For people that love math and science, they accept this as a challenge, but if you do not particularly enjoy it, I would advise to look into other liberal arts colleges.

A lazy person, quitters, people who will give up over a few bad grades, because it happens to the best of us if not all of us. We all have our good days, and our bad days, and our worse days, and our "Why do all of my grades suck and our football team suck?!?!" kind of days... But those who graduate this school go on to do great things. At Tech, it's possible to have all of those terrible days and come out with a good grade, because just about everyone else is right there with you.

In order for someone to perform well academically at Georgia Tech, he or she needs to know how to balance their time according to priorities. Therefore, someone who cannot focus on their school work or who slacks off should not attend this school. Georgia Tech is an institute for hard workers who have the ability to be independent and use critical thinking. Someone who depends on others for everything will also not succeed at Georgia Tech.

A person who does not take responsibility for achieving his/her own goals should not be attending a difficult, and stressful school like Georgia Tech. A person who is generally immature mentally and socially would have a really tough time at Tech, because we are required to get things done responsibly by ourselves. One should also be interdependent because it is extremely tough to progress without giving and receiving help at this school.