Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

Certain classes have easy but very time consuming graded homework assignments. It functions as a grade buffer and good study material, but the assignments get repetitive and tedious very quickly. It is nearly impossible to avoid them, since many of these classes are graduation requirements for almost every major. These classes take away a considerable amount of time from studying and club activities, so it is vital to take these classes in small numbers per semester or stack them in one semester and get it over with (at the cost of doing nothing but tedious work for a semester).

The most frustrating thing about my school can oftentimes be the lack of positivism among the students. You don't always get to see smiling faces and happiness at a predominately-engineering school, which can sometimes add on to the occassionally lackluster nature of the student body which we are infamous for. Students are often cursing at their professors and workload and spend more time expressing their stress and frustration than attempting to overcome challenges they face. I do wish we had more inspiration and encouragement available to students to keep them going.

The most frustrating thing about going to Georgia Tech was the difficulty and complexity of work and how fast and how much the professors taught at once. Professors in college move through material very quickly and if you haven't read the text book or haven't taken time to taken time to understand your notes beforehand you will get left behind. Reading and familiarizing yourself with future material was not one of the things I was taught to do in high school so the difficulty and speed of material I was expected to know definitely proved to be frustrating.

The most frustrating aspect of school is that almost all of my classes focus on problem solving. Having to learn how to efficiently solve problems by using complicated mathematics or writing successful computer code is tough, time consuming, and stressful. The process sometimes involves disbelieving in myself, having to ask for help, and dealing with feirce headaches. However, having to learn to problem solve is also the most rewarding thing about my school. Once a solution is discovered, the reward is good grades and a higher self esteem.

Georgia Tech has a reputation for being a "nerdy" school because of its academics and large male to female ratio. However, someone who attends Georgia Tech knows there is so much more to this school. There are people from all different backgrounds with different interests, so I wish Georgia Tech tried to emphasize that more. Most students will also say that the most frustrating thing is the workload, but I believe that the rigorous course work is for the best, and will teach the students to be independent har workers.

When people say that Georgia Tech has the toughest workload in the country, they are not exaggerating. Deciding to attend Georgia Tech is making the decision to accept several hours of homework each day and sometimes even stay in on the weekends to finish work or study. While this seems rather bleak, they are still a plethora of opportunities to get engaged and involved around campus. Those who are most successful on campus are individuals who do get involved, but are able to balance all these obligations at once.

The most frustrating thing about Georgia Tech is that the professors don't seem to make much of an effort to help students pass the class. There are usually two office hours per week, and usually if you can't make it to one, you can't make it to the other (e.g. Office Hours M&W @2pm, but your class is MWF @2pm). Also, if you're doing bad in the class, professors usually don't offer extra credit or let you make up assignments (unless you have very extreme circumstances).

Most of the professors don't speak english well at all. A lot of the professors make the classes really hard just for fun, like I got a 49/100 on my first test in calculus 3, but the average was only a 19/100 so I actually got an A on that test. Some classes with the same name are very different. My friend and I both took english 1102. My teacher had us reading Plato, Aristotle, Nieche, etc, and his teacher had him watching movies and writing about them. So unfair.

The most frustrating thing about Georgia Tech would be the traffic /parking problem near and around campus. I usually walk everywhere I go just because sometimes its just faster to walk rather than drive your car to class. If you are lucky to find a parking spot on campus after waiting in the traffic, you have to pay to park unless you buy a parking pass that is over 600 dollars for a year's worth of parking that continues to rise in price as you read this.

The most frustrating thing about school is being able to understand the material that is taught in lectures and applying them to the exams. Sometimes the test material is straight forward and reflects the homework given, but a lot of the times, the test material either strays far from what we have seen or doesn't relate at all to what was taught in lecture. Having a greater consistency in course material will foster a more efficient learning environment.