Georgia State University-Perimeter College

« See more reviews of Georgia State University-Perimeter College

Trasitioning to college life can be rather difficult unless proper planning is involved early! Teachers, parents, and friends offer advice and can be an overwhelming chore getting prepared for college. Preparation for college starts with practicing organizational skills in high school. Daily college activities are very time consuming. Practicing organizational skills now will help you manage throughout your college career. Creating a daily routine and having the proper items such as books, utensils, and planners all contribute to being well organized. Set aside 1 specific day for pure relaxation and fun. School at times can become overwhelming. Having a day planned for fun and relaxtion can reduce the stress associated with school and can help you focus on your subjects more! Lastly, utilize your teachers office hours for help in your subjects. Becoming familiar with your teachers shows true initiative for learning and can become a determing factor of effort applied towards your education. The more interaction, the more your teacher will know of you. This can be a great asset for your educational reputation and can be helpful if there is a need for a letter of recommendation in the future. These points will ensure great success in college.

My apparition would tell my senior self that I cannot wing my way into college as I did throughout high school. College is serious business and if I am serious about what I want to accomplish with my life, then I am going to have to start thinking like an independent adult and making sound decisions because no one else can do those things for me. Most importantly, I would remind myself that incessant fantasizing about the future will most definitely not materialize such dreams. I would also tell myself to really be sure about what I want to achieve with a college education, because if the motive is unclear, then the drive will soon dissipate and the dreams will remain just that ? dreams. After drilling that mindset into my skull, I would then stress the importance of studying and knowing how to do it properly, applying to schools and for scholarships and grants as early as possible, and taking AP classes and CLEP tests so that I can skip the general classes and go straight into my major, because by then, I will be hungry for that dream. But ultimately, being prepared will satiate that desire.

When I was in high school my school offered something called running start. This was a program that you could enroll in either you junior or senior year. It allowed you to take classes at one of the local community colleges, which would not only count as one of your high school credits but it also gave you college credits. Another program my school offered was upward bound. This program prepared you for college by taking you to colleges, helping you apply, and also require that you take some college courses ( which only counted as a high school credit). If I could go back to high school as a senior I would take advantage of all of these oppurtunities. While I was in high school I didnt realize how helpful these programs were for post college students. Another thing I would do is take advantage of any and every scholarship that came my way. If I would have done each of these simple things my college life would be alot easier. Running start would have also allowed me to finish school that much faster. I would tell any future student to take advantage of oppurtunites like these.

I would suggest many things to myself, such as keep my grades up in order to become eligible for scholarships and various academic oppetunities. When I was in school I was very shy and withdrawn. I would have suggested I network and make more friends because life is easier in college when you are well connected and in the "know," pertaining to oppertunities on campus. This ultimately would have helped me get out of my shell and open up to more people. I would have also adviced myself to communicate with the counselors on a regular basis in order to become aware of any oppertunities to better myself academically. Also, I would have suggested work study programs and even joining a club or signing up for a sport. These things would have given me balance in school and allowed me an oppertunity to meet people and hone my social skills. As well as overcome being shy. I made a lot of mistakes in high school because I was a loner. Now I embrace all of my resources and I quickly make new friends in every class. Now I am more fufilled as an individual and better prepared as a student.

There's an old song my mother use to play from my grandmothers era, and that song is entitled "If I Can Turn Back The Hands of Time," and as I reflect on that song, it allows me to see myself advising Alandro (me) to study more. Alandro, the best thing for you to do right now is to focus on the next level in life that you are venturing into because where you are right now is the precursor to where you're going. Alandro, take the time to discuss where you are in class with your teachers and your counselor, afterwards, make a decision not to continue to miss assignments on purpose thinking I could make up the assignments. Take every advantage of this education that you are getting for free, so that you can receive scholarships and grants instead of student loans. Finally Alandro, take notes and study them for conceptual understanding, instead of knowing the material just to past the test. Allow yourself the opportunity to see that this is for your good in preperation for the third level of education that very few get. These are things that I would whisper to myself.

Dear Raegan, College is fun. I thought I would just get that out of the way, since I know you're wondering. However, college is hard work. Take your first semester seriously, because you know you are not good at math! Studying and perserverance will get you through, and you'll be alright. Disclaimer: your second semester at GPC need not be interrupted by a boy named Christopher Guy. He's bad news. Keep your focus on schoolwork; most of your professors are quite the catch. Also, take the opportunity to go outside and study because they have a beautiful campus! The people who say that community college is the drop off point for failures are wrong. I've experienced a few good people in my semesters, and a couple of bad eggs. But hey! It's the real world, no one is exactly alike. I wouldn't suggest starting anywhere else. I can imagine how scared you would be going, moving, somewhere you didn't know for four years. Good job choosing Perimeter. Have fun; God will bless you! P.S. You'll pick up guitar! You're actually good at it. :) Sincerely, Future You

Knowing what I know now about college and life I would have given myself better advice of how i handled many situations. I would have definitley encouraged myself to study through knowing insted of through memorization. II believe that I would have been more focused in high school because i didnt realize how important college was until after ny freshmen year of college. I would have also not let family issues play a big part of my life because it was something i could not comtrol and for that I didnt do everything I could to my abilities. One thing I really wish I would have did was give back to the community more and had time to volunteer more becuase that also makes a difference in one slife. If I owuld have known the quote your attitude determines your altitude im sure I would be in better standings. Now that I do know what I know I am prepared and ready to do whatever it takes so that I am successful in life and accomplish all goals. Nothing can stop me now, Im determined and dedicated to do what I need to , to get where I need to be.

My college experience has been a good one so far. At the community college where I currently am enrolled, the atmosphere is very friendly and close to home. Just being at college has given me experience to apply toward the rest of my life. First, I have learned how to be a smart leader. I have been consistently the best student in my classes and have had to learn how to think through problems as a leader. Second, I have been given the experience of helping others. In the case of college, this help is usually with homework or a class project. Still, the experience of helping others has, in a way, helped me in my life. Third, I have been challenged enough to work hard at my studies. The classes are challenging and often require some work. This experience has helped me prepare for real life situations, in which hard work is required to accomplish a goal. College has been a good experience so far. The experience I have earned here will help me in later life to be the best that I can be and to help my society as a productive member.

The first piece of advice I would give myself if I was able to talk to myself as a highschool senior would be to join as many clubs and engage in mutiple extracurricular activities as possible. I would tell myself to join clubs, etc. because a large part of college is getting out and using your people skills to meet new people and to make new friends. For example, interacting and exchanging ideas with club members can help when meeting new people at college. Taking my piece of advice would help for a smoother transition into college for meeting new people. The second piece of advice I would give, would be open minded. There may be certain people that you would not have made friends with in highschool, but may find out you can get along very well with them. Last and foremost, I would tell myself to stop procrastinating because in college inorder to excel you need to study everyday and do your work on time. With those three pieces of advice, I feel as though I would be more prepared coming out of highschool into a college environment.

Its senior year, colleges are narrowing down and tuition is becoming to build up like an ant mile; I sit on the door step like an statue in a museum awating the results college approvals. Althoguh no approval from the other three schools but one, I take with pride and continue my education journey. If I had the opportunity to go back in time to guide myself through my senior year of high school I would. The advice I would give myself would be to focus on my grades, take scholarships and grants more seriously and have a back up college. As a college student now, grades are very important to keep up with considering that you have to pay for each class. In oder to succeed and pass the class, your grades has to be on top of the list. Scholarships and grants has the same amount of equal importance as grades do. By recieving rewards for college it makes it more affordable on the you and your parents. By looking at multiple colleges try looking at two year institute as a fall back plan. Two year institute are very affordable.