Kenyon College

« See more reviews of Kenyon College

Kenyon is mostly white, but I don't think this has a huge effect on diversity. I have met rich kids, middle-class kids, and poor kids from all over the country - in most cases, I have not found that their race was a defining feature in their character or sense of self. Most of my friends are international students, so even though they are light-skinned, I have learned a lot about diverse cultures, from Chinese to Romanian. Most students wear what they are comfortable with wearing - I have seen skirts, Uggs, leggings, skinny jeans, t-shirts, baggy pants, worn-out sweaters, jeans, sweatpants, boots, sandals, and more. For the most part, only kids who put time into their wardrobe put time into noticing what other people are wearing. Most people do not care enough to judge other people based on their clothes, unless they smell. Since Kenyon is small, students from all age groups, all grades, all ethnicities, etc. interact in class, in their dorms, and extracurricular activities. I can usually find people to eat with at any meal, even though they are not the same people each time. A lot of students come from the East Coast and most students are liberal-middle, politically. Most students do not have a life-long goal of becoming really rich, although some may dream. Kenyon is very generous with financial aid, but because tuition is so expensive and Kenyon only has a limited amount of money to give, there seems to be a huge pay gap that is a small reflection of what is happening in the economy nationwide. Middle-class families who make too much money to qualify for financial aid can't afford to come to Kenyon, so there are generally more rich or poor students than middle class students.

I think the student body is more socio-economically diverse than one would expect, but as intellectual as you would expect. By this I mean that people are very smart in and out of class. I really enjoy it, and like that people understand my really nerdy references. You learn a lot about the other disiplines just by talking to people, which I think is really cool. There are definately the frat boys and the sports cliques, and I wouldn't recommend living by division housing if you're not in that frat, but on the whole they're respectful and throw good parties. There are a lot of people from Ohio and the surrounding states, but there have been a growing amount from New York and California. Some people dress up for class, which I think is kind of dumb, but most people just dress how they like and nobody bothers them about it. Again, most people think everyone who goes here is really wealthy and has money to throw away, but that's not true at all. You do hear through the gossip mill things like "oh, that's so and so's daughter/son," but that only happens once every so often and other than that we don't really talk about money, at least with my friends, beyond where to order dinner from.

The Christian community here at Kenyon is small, but amazing. They're like a family to me. Most people are very respectful of students' religious beliefs and I've never witnessed any problems with racial discrimination. East-coast fashion styles seem to be fairly popular here, although people tend to wear whatever suits them. Walking down Middle Path you'll see everything from high heels to sweats. People can pull off a lot here at Kenyon. Kenyon students aren't from any specific location. Less than 20% are from Ohio and the other 80-some percent come from all over the US and from abroad! I have friends from New York, Nevada, Florida, etc. There's really a nice mixture of backgrounds which lends to more cultural learning (and connections around the world!). I'd say students have predominantly left views, but all opinions can be voiced.

Very white, mostly wealthy (either private schools or high-tax bracket public schools), and mostly moderate-liberal politically. People pretend to be more liberal than they are. Most people would feel accepted by some group or other since it's a diverse set of kids in terms of interests. One nice thing is that it's regionally diverse, though there are large pockets from the coasts. It's impossible to call it a preppy or a hippy school, but it is not a very attractive school, maybe because everyone meshes together and there is no "look". People don't dress up - the best way to stand out at a party is to wear what you would wear to go out at home, i.e. try hard to look like you don't try hard. I wish people just looked nice and didn't wear sweats all the time. Would it kill guys to wear tuxes to "formals"?

The student body is very eclectic. There is a very active LGBT group on campus, as well as an Asian group, Black Student group, and visual/performing arts groups. There is a group for every student to fit into. Most people are open to interacting with different minorities, but it feels false when it does happen; like they feel they have to. Most students wear jeans, T-shirts, sweatpants, and sneakers to class. Most kids here are from wealthy or upper-middle-class families in the Northeast/Midwest/California. They are mostly liberal with a few conservatives and libertarians mixed in, but they're not politically active. Nobody talks about future plans because life changes and plans change every day that it's hard to get locked into one way of where you're going.

Kenyon is very tolerent sexually and racially. We are VERY economically friendly here on the hill. We like to walk and we don't really drive anywhere because its only a little over a mile from one end of campus to the other. Kenyon students wear jean or sweats with flats. Heels are a no no. Most kenyon students are from the tri-state area, Ohio, and surrounding Ohio states. And also, odly, LA. Students interact with each other, we do not really have huge divides in people. Most students tend to be well off financially. Kenyon is a very potically active and aware campus. We were on the news nation wide for the last elecations. We are more concerned over our present life and education and not as focused on future earnings.

Most students on campus are democrats. They join the group the first week of class and maybe go to 1-2 meetings before losing interest. The republicans on the other hand are a very small handful of students who seem to remain highly organized because they are in a community that does not share their views. Many students are on financial aid. Kenyon is an expensive school. Some of us could not be here without it. Kenyon Students don't have a uniform. SOme tend to dress preppy, some roll out of bed and go to class in their pajamas, others go dressed in flannel. We are a very diverse group of people. CLothing is not really important here.

There is virtually NO racial or socio-economic diversity. This is quite bothersome to me, but it does not seem to affect anyone else. The minority and international students group together, not because they're unwelcome, but because they feel out of place. Everyone seems to be liberal-leaning. And most students know what goes on in the world, they just are, frankly, quite apathetic. Many Kenyon students are from cities in the West and East Coast and are proud of it. Different types of students interact, but there is a clear divide with the jocks. And everyone is secretly judging each other.

Students tend to be wealthy, liberal, and white, but there isn't any noticeable prejudice against other groups. There is a sizable LGBT group on campus. Liberal campus organizations tend to be the dominating political voice. The Kenyon Libertarians club has more members than the Republicans club. The majority of students do not strictly practice a religion. Students come from all over the world, but a majority of students are from the east; Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania have the largest contingencies.

The first thing my friends from other schools say when they visit Kenyon is how shocked they are that everyone's so nice. And we are. Sure, you'll find the occasional curmudgeon, but for the most part Kenyon people will do what they can to make you feel welcome. Within the first week of my freshman year, some of the people on my floor had taken to calling ourselves the family--and, two years later, we're all still friends. And we're very different people.